SWM, ? Accutrac, DirecTV Youtube install video

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ABemis

Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Minnesota
I have a question on using an Accutrac Pro signal level meter to align and peak a 5 LNB SWM; I am referring to a DirecTV installation video on Youtube -
DIRECTV New SWM Line LNB Satellite Dish Install Part 2; I also attached a snapshot 1port.jpg of this one port use on a Accutrac Pro signal level meter.

With the ASL1, only one of the two input ports is used on the Accutrac Pro signal level meter; however, the Accutrac Pro has two input ports; it was designed to align and peak a dual LNB dish.

Are there any technical reasons not to use both ports on the Accutrac Pro signal level meter with the 101 and 119 ASL1 ports? Specifically, I would connect 101 from the ASL1 to the first Accutrac port (one cable); I would connect 119 from the ASL1 to the second Accutrac port (second cable). I would use both ports and use both Accutrac Pro signal level indicators to align and peak the dish on 101 and 119. I ask as this is not displayed in the DirecTV installation video. I also ask this appears, at least to me, to be a more accurate method to peak on 101 and 119. I can see the level indicators for 101 and 119 at the same time. This is in contrast to the switch of cables back and forth, as displayed on the DirecTV Youtube video.

End

Attachments

• 1port.jpg
    1port.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 376
I've got an Acutrac22 Pro coming, and I'd be very interested in this answer, too... In fact, I almost asked the question myself, but I've asked a bunch of questions lately and didn't want to wear out my welcome.

I don't see how it would help, since you don't adjust for 101 and 119 at the same time. The official method in the videos is to peak AZ and EL on 101, then adjust tilt to peak 119 without touching AZ and EL (101 won't be affected by the tilt setting). After that you dither AZ and EL to make sure you are centered on the beam. At that point a check of 99 and 103 is in probably order, followed by some fine tuning if necessary. Further adjustment for 119 could easily mess up 99 and 103, which have much sharper beamwidths.

With the Accutrac Pro, I could watch the signal strength on 101 while making the adjustments to 119. I realize specific instructions are in the "certifcation course" as mentioned on the DirecTV installation video. In this alignment and peaking instructions (used in this course) for the Slimline dish 5 LNB (SWM or "regular" 5 LNB), and better clarified in other vidoes, with the dual inputs on the Accutrac signal meter, I could peak on 119 while maintaining the peak on 101. I could see both. Practically though, from what I know (which is never enough) the peak would be maintained on 101 while establishing the peak on 119.
With a legacy meter, which the Accutrac Pro is, and the ALS1, I am not aware how I could peak on 99 nor 103. There are no 99 nor 103 outputs on the ALS1. Legacy meters cannot demodulate the signal from SWM LNBs. Once the SWM LNB founds an the receiver, the SWM goes into programming mode, as mentioned in the
DirectTv installation videos.

So I would appreciate any additional replies to my question with the Accutrac Pro signal strength meter.

I am pondering the same issues. If you're only using one input, why couldn't you use a cheaper (1-input) meter? Also- is the ASL-1 necessary or is there a way to avoid using it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.