SWM LNB installation problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mhammett

Original poster
I'm trying to setup a SWM LNB. I have purchased an ASL-1 and am trying to align, but my AcuTrac 3 rental isn't seeing anything (it worked on my AT-9). I noticed that the power inserter's LED was flashing. I tracked it down to being when the ASL-1 is plugged in, it flashes.

Ideas? Solid Signal tech support is gone for the night.

SWM systems are powered - meaning that your meter will not register a signal using the SWM LNB unless your meter is capable of providing 21 volts dc to the LNB.

At the present, the only unit I am aware of that powers SWM is the Applied Instruments Super Buddy.

Two options -

1. Use a regular 5 sat LNB and peak and position as normal. Then without wiggling the dish tooo much, remove the 5 LNB and replace it with the SWM LNB. All should be good. This is how 99% of D* installers do it by the way.

2. Set your SWM LNB in the arm, and run an extension cord out and over to where you are working. Short line to a SWM splitter, short line to the power inserter, plug it into your extension cord AND then take measurements off one of the powered output ports while dithering your dish.

instalation directv antena in cancun

I need the elevation and azimut for that city, Cancun, Mexico, in order to, install the dish an LNB for Directv

SWM systems are powered - meaning that your meter will not register a signal using the SWM LNB unless your meter is capable of providing 21 volts dc to the LNB.

At the present, the only unit I am aware of that powers SWM is the Applied Instruments Super Buddy.

Two options -

1. Use a regular 5 sat LNB and peak and position as normal. Then without wiggling the dish tooo much, remove the 5 LNB and replace it with the SWM LNB. All should be good. This is how 99% of D* installers do it by the way.

2. Set your SWM LNB in the arm, and run an extension cord out and over to where you are working. Short line to a SWM splitter, short line to the power inserter, plug it into your extension cord AND then take measurements off one of the powered output ports while dithering your dish.

The third way is how I was doing it, which is how you're supposed to do it if your meter doesn't support SWM.

I RMA'ed the ASL-1 through Solid Signal and received one that works this time. I'm able to see signals now, but they're significantly lower than the AT-9 I tuned on the other side of the driveway.

I'm using an AcuTrac 3 with the ASL-1 on a SWM LNB (without the ASL on my AT-9). On the AT-9, I had a Ku signal in the 80s, though I forget the Ka signals. On the SWM, I get a Ku signal in the 40s. I peaked them, but I fear plugging in a receiver to check if I'm on the right dishes because they say I can't align the LNB again after plugging in a receiver.

the birdog ultra will also power a swm lnb, and it sounds like you might have a bad lnb if thats as high as it goes, and also you can repeak it after the receivers are plugged in, just unplug everything, then plug the pi back in.

The LED light on my PI-21 does not flash when plugged into an ASL1. The green LED light remains on. I have verified I get almost 21 V on on a 40 foot cable run (RG-6 cable), PI-21 on one end, inside, 40 foot cable run, ASL1 on other end.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts