Status
Please reply by conversation.

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Good Morning guys!

I am doing a little research for a friend and have a question about a dish.

What is the main difference between the SL3 and SL5? Is the SL5 just an older dish? or are all 5LNBs really needed. I have an SL3 and my friend has an SL5 and he is looking for a dish to use for tailgating and I assume that an SL3 would be all he needed.

I'm just trying to determine the difference between the two dishes (just to be informed).. My main goal is to figure out if an SL3 would be all he needed. Are there any channels outside of 99, 101, and 103?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide in advance!

Thanks!

Yes, there are some SD channels (mainly spanish programming, but there are some others) as well as some locals that come off the 119 satellite, that would be the reason for the 5LNB. If he currently gets all the channels he wants, then the 3LNB should be fine.
On a side note, for tailgating, it's usually easier to use a Round 18" and just watch SD channels. Dialing in the 101 is pretty simple, whereas the 99 and 103 can be much harder (99 and 103 carry the HD programming).

Yes, there are some SD channels (mainly spanish programming, but there are some others) as well as some locals that come off the 119 satellite, that would be the reason for the 5LNB. If he currently gets all the channels he wants, then the 3LNB should be fine.
On a side note, for tailgating, it's usually easier to use a Round 18" and just watch SD channels. Dialing in the 101 is pretty simple, whereas the 99 and 103 can be much harder (99 and 103 carry the HD programming).

Thanks for the info.. My friend had a single lbn dish he used for tailgating so he wasn't getting HD before. I use the SL3 for tailgating and its pretty easy once you get the hang of it but I agree it can be tricky. Do you know or does anyone else have a link that displays which channels are on which satellite? I think the SL3 would work fine for him.

Thanks,

Basically, if he wants HD, you'll want a SL3 or 5, vs the old round one.

If he's tailgating in the same area he lives, and gets all the channels he needs, the SL3 would be the way to go, as you get the same channels with the 3 that he would get with the 5 if your looking at HD.

PS. Don't use SWM for tailgating, the regular non swm works better as it is less to deal with. Will need a H24 instead of a H25 though.

PS. Don't use SWM for tailgating, the regular non swm works better as it is less to deal with. Will need a H24 instead of a H25 though.

You'll also want BBC's for the HD if you go Non SWM .... I would suggest Non SWM as well, you don't need addl power supplies with the Non SWM.

There are a few HD channels on the 119, too. Unimas, ESPN Deportes, and beIN-ñ Sport are HD on the 119. If the user requires the 119 for SD locals, doesn't all guide data come from the 119 if you have a 5LNB dish so you must see the 119 for it all to work?

There are a few HD channels on the 119, too. Unimas, ESPN Deportes, and beIN-ñ Sport are HD on the 119. If the user requires the 119 for SD locals, doesn't all guide data come from the 119 if you have a 5LNB dish so you must see the 119 for it all to work?

Yes, that is correct.

Personally, I think if you don't have any channels that you sub to on the 119, don't get the SL5, get just the 3, this way you don't have the potential guide issues if you don't have los on the 119.

Technically, everyone has channels on the 119, most people just don't know it. But they are low-viewership channels that most people don't know exist, let alone miss. CCTV English News is the only English channel I get on the 119. I do have en-Español and 3 SV locals in SD on there, too.

Technically, everyone has channels on the 119, most people just don't know it. But they are low-viewership channels that most people don't know exist, let alone miss. CCTV English News is the only English channel I get on the 119. I do have en-Español and 3 SV locals in SD on there, too.

I don't get anything on the 119 that I want to watch .... so far that is ... then again, I have not used a SL5 at home in ages, I do use it for the Motor home, just because I'm too lazy to change it out.

I miss having 119, had to give it up when I got a H25 because my only SL5 is non SWM. I really like the "Tranquility" SonicTap music channel.

If anyone has a SWM SL5 they're giving away please let me know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)