SWM5 install issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chi_town60608

Original poster
May 1, 2012
usa
I've been trying to point this thing for 2 days now. I've read and re-read any thread that I could find on aiming/pointing a SWM, but I guess I'm missing something.

My equipment:
SWM5 LNB
HR23-700

My setup:
Dish -> 1-4 splitter (outside) -> PI -> Receiver

I don't have a meter, so I was trying to use my old LNB to find 101 and then swap out. The LNB I'm using is a Sharp triple-feed, multi-satellite LNB with built-in multi-switch and 4 outputs.

When I was done pointing the dish at 101, signal strengths were:

1-8: 96 95 96 0 96 99 96 100
9-16: 96 95 97 59 97 100 96 99
17-24: 96 0 96 69 96 100 96 99
25-32: 93 0 96 0 97 100 96 100

When I then swap in the SWM5, I get "Searching for signal 771".

The only thing I can think of is the old LNB I'm using won't work and I'll have to get a SL3 or SL5 to do the aiming. If this is the case, can someone give me the correct steps? Like, I know you peak 101, switch them out and watch TV. What I'm looking for is step-by-step. For example, when I'm doing the aiming, do I set the receiver up as a SWM5 even though I'm using a different LNB? Do I bypass the PI when I do the aiming or do I go through it? When I swap in the SWM5, I know I unplug the receiver, but do I need to unplug the PI while I'm connecting the LNB?

Thanks in advance guys and gals. I know you guys will get me straightened out.

chi_town

What kind of dish are you using,is it a Slimline? Also,if you are only hooking up one receiver,you don't need the splitter. It would be Dish -> PI -> Receiver. Remove the splitter from the equation & see if that helps.

What kind of dish are you using,is it a Slimline? Also,if you are only hooking up one receiver,you don't need the splitter. It would be Dish -> PI -> Receiver. Remove the splitter from the equation & see if that helps.

New Slimline. I only installed the splitter in case I wanted to expand later. I'll take it out of the equation tomorrow and give it a shot.

I've pointed a couple with just the receiver and SWM LNB. I was actually surprised how simple it was. No meter. Here's the steps I did.

Hooked up LNB to PI-21 (be sure to hook up the right way). Powered on PI.
Hooked up receiver to TV, PI, and power. (I've had cases where if the receiver was powered before the SWM was it would never see the SWM)
Make sure right Dish and switch is selected.
Went to Dish pointing section and put in zip code.
Set the Dish to the coordinates provided.
I put the 101 signal meter screen up on a working transponder in my area.
Swung the dish over and boom I had 101 signal.
I found the best signal using the coarse adjustments. Locked them down.
Then I did the dithering to find the middle ground.
Checked 110 and 119, good to go.
Checked 103 and 99. 99 was an 85 (103 and 99 are usually 95-97 in my area). Made some minor adjustments and she was good to go for the long weekend trip.

Do you have the correct lnb and dish selected in the menu?

I've pointed a couple with just the receiver and SWM LNB. I was actually surprised how simple it was. No meter. Here's the steps I did.

Hooked up LNB to PI-21 (be sure to hook up the right way). Powered on PI.
Hooked up receiver to TV, PI, and power. (I've had cases where if the receiver was powered before the SWM was it would never see the SWM)
Make sure right Dish and switch is selected.
Went to Dish pointing section and put in zip code.
Set the Dish to the coordinates provided.
I put the 101 signal meter screen up on a working transponder in my area.
Swung the dish over and boom I had 101 signal.
I found the best signal using the coarse adjustments. Locked them down.
Then I did the dithering to find the middle ground.
Checked 110 and 119, good to go.
Checked 103 and 99. 99 was an 85 (103 and 99 are usually 95-97 in my area). Made some minor adjustments and she was good to go for the long weekend trip.

I was wondering why it couldn't be done. I've read that it goes in diagnostic mode or something when the receiver isn't hooked up. I might try that. And to the next poster, I have verified that the correct dish and LNB are selected.

If ur useing the old lnb to find the 101 u need to select swm in the menu. The reciever will be putting out voltage to the lnb because it thinks it has to power it. When u switch to swm in the menu the reciever will cut the voltage off in the reciever and thats why the power inserter comes in.

I always when i go camping is call mysf on a different phone and my dish is setup as far as the elevation and skew so i just pan.

Id start fresh and forget the swapping lnbs cause i think that might be part of the problem with the dish. Put ur zip code in the reciever and it will tell u where to set the skew and elevation and then u can just pan left and right. Also make sure your pole or mount is perfectly level!!! Very important.

chi_town60608 said:
I've been trying to point this thing for 2 days now. I've read and re-read any thread that I could find on aiming/pointing a SWM, but I guess I'm missing something.

My equipment:
SWM5 LNB
HR23-700

My setup:
Dish -> 1-4 splitter (outside) -> PI -> Receiver

I don't have a meter, so I was trying to use my old LNB to find 101 and then swap out. The LNB I'm using is a Sharp triple-feed, multi-satellite LNB with built-in multi-switch and 4 outputs.

When I was done pointing the dish at 101, signal strengths were:

1-8: 96 95 96 0 96 99 96 100
9-16: 96 95 97 59 97 100 96 99
17-24: 96 0 96 69 96 100 96 99
25-32: 93 0 96 0 97 100 96 100

When I then swap in the SWM5, I get "Searching for signal 771".

The only thing I can think of is the old LNB I'm using won't work and I'll have to get a SL3 or SL5 to do the aiming. If this is the case, can someone give me the correct steps? Like, I know you peak 101, switch them out and watch TV. What I'm looking for is step-by-step. For example, when I'm doing the aiming, do I set the receiver up as a SWM5 even though I'm using a different LNB? Do I bypass the PI when I do the aiming or do I go through it? When I swap in the SWM5, I know I unplug the receiver, but do I need to unplug the PI while I'm connecting the LNB?

Thanks in advance guys and gals. I know you guys will get me straightened out.

chi_town

Bad lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)