SWM8 or SWM LNB

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I currently have a Slimline dish with 4 wires ran into my home. I want to cut down on some of my cable run. I no longer want 4 wires run into my home and I no longer want 2 lines ran to each room. I do want OTA diplexed into the line though for my local OTA not available via satellite (LIN owned).

I can get the SWM LNB for around $200 after shipping or the SWM8 on many sites for $75 more. I assume both will accomplish want I am trying to do. What is the advantage to getting one over the other?

Looking at your current config of four DVR's (8 tuners) you'd max out a SWMSlimline right off the bat and there's no way to add more using a SWMSlimline. If you have no plans to add anymore then the SWMSlimline would be OK. But if you think you might go more then I'd say go with the SWM8 since you can hang multiple SWM8's off a single AU-9/AT-9 dish.

Should I jump on the deals now with the current prices being so high or do you suggest waiting for the prices to drop as the equipment becomes more widely used and available? I really would love to get my local OTA and cut down on wire.

If all you want is to diplex you know you can do it if you don't mind 'cheating'( D* says you're not supposed to do it).

What you can do is move the BBC from the back of the receiver to out where your WB68 switch is (as long as it's not outside, the BBC is not outdoor rated). The wire it like :

WB68 -> BBC -> Diplexer ----------- > Diplexer -> receiver

This does work, I did it this way until I got a SWM8. As for now or wait, don't as me, I always get the slowest line at the grocery store and never win in Vegas.

Rad, are you pleased with the SWM8? I just need a kick in the pants to jump on the wagon.

I see the SWM8 has an OTA input. In the living room how do I get my OTA? Do I use a standard diplexor then? I understand on the HR's all I have to do is hook the coax to input 1 with bbc.

I've had it for about 7 weeks, so far no problems with it. As for OTA, yes it has an OTA in port on it for a built in diplexer, then at the HR2X just use a standard diplexer to split the OTA and DBS signal out, one to the OTA input and the other to COAX1 DBS input, there are no BBC's used when you have a SWM in use.

Don't forget you'll also need to get some splitters, either one 4 way or two 2 way's based on what you have. I know DAVE29 at DBSTalk and Weakness will also sell those to you to help make sure you get the right ones.

Perhaps the SWM LNB would be my best option. I am maxed out on TV's in my home anyways. This way I don't have to the leave the SWM8 out in the cold harsh Wisconsin winters.

The only place I have been able to find SWM LNB's has been on eBay. They go for about $200. Are their any online stores to buy them directly from or is eBay my best option? I see several online stores sell the SWM8 for anywhere from $279 up. Why is it amost 50% more in cost?

The SWM LNB are just starting to make it to the distribution channels. They are not expected to be "widely available" until August.

You may pay a premium to get one right now, but Dave has been a source many have used for SWM's at a fair price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.