Tailgater dirt I need help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sguest9

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Athens ga
I have had my tailgater for about 3 three year and it has stopped working. I have been on the phone with dish and after doing everything they told me they referred me to king controls after doing everything they told me to do they said the motor had gone out and it would cost about 200 dollars to fix it. My problem is I paid 500 dollars for it and the receiver and dish told that they could nothing about it. I have the protection plan and I bought it through dish network. I would think dish would swap it out but the the person I talk to on the phone told me that dish would not do anything.

Unfortunately the tailgater is not covered by the protection plan as it is not considered a piece of Dish equipment. The receiver that was sold as part of the bundle is considered Dish equipment and is covered by the protection plan but the Tailgater unit itself is not.

Unfortunately the tailgater is not covered by the protection plan as it is not considered a piece of Dish equipment. The receiver that was sold as part of the bundle is considered Dish equipment and is covered by the protection plan but the Tailgater unit itself is not.
Then dish should not put their name on it. If you put your name on something then you should stand be behind.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
I was chatting with Dish Customer Service Agent today and at the end of the session, she tried to push the Protection Plan on me. She said that it covered anything with Dish' name on it. I don't know one way or the other.

Unfortunately thhe warranty is covered by King Controls. If it needs a new motor or swapped out, that would also be done through them. Dish sells it as a courtesy and convience. It is not manufactured by any dish company.

Unfortunately thhe warranty is covered by King Controls. If it needs a new motor or swapped out, that would also be done through them. Dish sells it as a courtesy and convience. It is not manufactured by any dish company.
And I guess dish builds the receiver. I doubt it. Some other company makes the receiver and dish sells it. Like I said before if you put your name on it stand behind it. I paid over 130 a month and paid 500 for the receiver and tailgater if this the way dish wants to treat a customer then I will go find a other provider.

Winegard makes some "X" series receivers that seem to be much better.

Now. ;)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

And I guess dish builds the receiver. I doubt it. Some other company makes the receiver and dish sells it. Like I said before if you put your name on it stand behind it. I paid over 130 a month and paid 500 for the receiver and tailgater if this the way dish wants to treat a customer then I will go find a other provider.
DISH is standing behind the "TAILGATER" as far behind as they can. Last I knew only DISH and Directv sell satellite systems so by all means look into Directv's Ka HDTV offerings.

In a round about way, yes DISH does build the receiver. Let us know what the the only other provider, Direct TV does for repairs when you switch. You are trying to get a an outdoor piece of equipment fixed free or nearly so after three years of use.
I understand that you thought the protection plan covered it, but honestly you need to specifically ask and read when paying for insurance as to what it covers. I notice you didn't call King Controls to see what they say and I do not know what or how long they cover repairs.

Reactions: Brussam
You basically bought a third party product that is made to work with Dish products. The Tailgater is not Dish's product, it's King Controls and they are the ones responsible for it. When you bought your Tailgater it would have had a manual with it along with the limited warranty. That warranty would state what is covered and for how long.

Dish's receivers are made by Echostar which is a partner company with Dish and the majority of both are owned by Charlie Ergen. At one time these were considered the same company. So yes, they are Dish's receivers.

Dish needs to be careful with what they put their name on and saying which products they cover under the protection. I can see how you would be upset because I think you were misled. What Dish told you is correct though, the Tailgater is not covered by the protection plan. Another Dish product that is not covered by the Protection Plan is their DishNet internet service.

I feel that because it has the DISH name on it that DISH should take care of it. Its called customer service. I would rather have a happy customer then one that goes online who says DISH won't fix the product I have that says DISH all over it. Its that simple.

Reactions: sguest9
I have yet to hear that. Maybe it's handled internally by Dish because it's not covered by retailers.

Yup, they send DNS or RSP for all DishNet SC's they get. AFAIK if the customer calls the retailer they can handle it if they want to or tell the customer to call Dish. At least that's what we were told and that's the way we do it.

I would not be so mad but we only us it to tailgate so this would have been my third season with it we us it 6 times a year. I have used it about 12 to13 times and it dies. the biggest problem I have is I bought it from dish it has dish written all over and it is sold as the dish tailgater. I did talk to king controls and it would cost about 250 for them to fix it. I just believe if you your going to put your name on something then stand behind.I think Scott Greczkowski hit the nail on the head.

I used to set them up all the time. It would be internal for all intents and purposes. Sometimes they were contracted out, but was still a dish creates work order. That all said, the Pp is not avail to add on to an account(wasn't when I was there, things may have changed since feb) to dishnet only accounts. If they cancelled tv services, but kept internet and still had the pp they got grandfathered in.

In a round about way, yes DISH does build the receiver. Let us know what the the only other provider, Direct TV does for repairs when you switch. You are trying to get a an outdoor piece of equipment fixed free or nearly so after three years of use.
I understand that you thought the protection plan covered it, but honestly you need to specifically ask and read when paying for insurance as to what it covers. I notice you didn't call King Controls to see what they say and I do not know what or how long they cover repairs.
yes it is and outside piece of equipment but it is only outside when i use it like 6 times a year it is tsken outside then taken back inside the same day. it is not like it even gets wets.

Time is not your friend when it comes to electronics. You're going to be hard pressed to find any electronic that is planned to fail, have longer than a 1 year warranty, but even with minimal use, 3 years. They don't care if you used it once, it is still well beyond that normal warranty period for most electronics.

I know you say you didn't use it that much but that really doesn't matter. The product has a one year warranty based on the day you purchase it, not the day you used it. I'm not saying you shouldn't be disappointed but that's just the way it is. I have customers that spend over $1,000 on a washer just to have the bearing go out in 4-5 years. These customers are S.O.L. because that part will no longer be available or way too expensive to fix since it's out of warranty.

I would get on King Controls butt and make them stand behind THEIR product. They are the ones who made it and they have a know issue with these Tailgaters failing early. I've had mine for a few years now without any issues but I've sold some to customers and they've had them fail. Almost half of the Tailgaters I sold came back to me needing some form of repair and every time I had to call King Controls. The product is great when it works but it has some pretty weak components inside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts