Tailgater issues after 129 retirement. (Western Arc issue only)

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
We have seen a number of customers having issues with Wallys & 211k receivers and tailgaters. They gets stuck in the searching for satellite step, as it's looking for 129. I believe it's a software issue, Dish you need to get on this!

Yesterday I came up with a work around that might have worked or might have been a coincidence. But after it had been searching for 129 for 15 minutes or so, I went and stood in front of the dish. Within 30 seconds of blocking the signal, it moved on to the next step which is a message warning that it isn't seeing all the satellites (even though it is seeing 110 & 119). You select "Watch Tv" and everything is fine. (As I stood in front of the dish, it stopped moving.)

Satellite 129 is still up there, I think the Tailgater is confused seeing something and trying to peak the signal, but failing.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

We have seen a number of customers having issues with Wallys & 211k receivers and tailgaters. They gets stuck in the searching for satellite step, as it's looking for 129. I believe it's a software issue, Dish you need to get on this!

Yesterday I came up with a work around that might have worked or might have been a coincidence. But after it had been searching for 129 for 15 minutes or so, I went and stood in front of the dish. Within 30 seconds of blocking the signal, it moved on to the next step which is a message warning that it isn't seeing all the satellites (even though it is seeing 110 & 119). You select "Watch Tv" and everything is fine. (As I stood in front of the dish, it stopped moving.)

Satellite 129 is still up there, I think the Tailgater is confused seeing something and trying to peak the signal, but failing.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
This has been discussed at great length on this site since well back from April.

Refer back to this thread that has the most info:

Mpeg2 Western Arc Shutoff

There are other threads that describe how to get out of the “stuck” mode on the 211 rx. Just search for them.

why not set the receiver for Dish 500 as it only uses 110/119 ,
I have a 211k collecting dust that is still on my account, but it's no longer activated if l connect it to a Dish 500. Will it update software if its not activated?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a 211k collecting dust that is still on my account, but it's no longer activated if l connect it to a Dish 500. Will it update software if its not activated?
Yes, it will but then it will ask you to activate it.

This has been discussed at great length on this site since well back from April.

There are other threads that describe how to get out of the “stuck” mode on the 211 rx. Just search for them.
We only started seeing the problem in the last week, and I didn't see any posts about it over the last couple weeks. But I'll look that up.

There is no "Set it to Dish 500" with the tailgater. When you are connected to a Tailgater with a Wally or 211, it goes top a special screen that asks what state you are in. You select that and then "scan". There are no other options.

I searched all 22 pages for the keyword "tailgater", not a single match. That thread really isn't relevant to the issue I am seeing.

But thanks.

I searched all 22 pages for the keyword "tailgater", not a single match. That thread really isn't relevant to the issue I am seeing.

But thanks.
Sorry, wrong thread. That one was about the MPEG2 and 129 shutoff. There was another thread that related to your issue but I don’t remember which on of the top of my head. I’ll see if I can find it later.

Is it the receiver that needs new software, or the Tailgater itself that needs to forget 129°W should be scanned?

I don't have a tailgater, but I remember reading that you might try doing a check switch and when the receiver does not see one remembered sat it will ask to save the new info without that sat. Maybe applies to tailgater, maybe not. Please disregard if it does not apply.

I recently did some tests with a Wally and tailgater combo. I did see the issue you have mentioned. Repositioning the Tailgater did the trick. I don't think I was blocking 129 based on what I can see from dishpointer.com, but maybe I was or maybe I just got lucky.

It took about 3 minutes for the tailgater to stop searching for 129 and get to the point where I could choose to watch TV.

I'll certainly admit that I have nowhere near the experience with DISH that some of you all do, but I'm trying to learn.

The software is on the receiver. Possibly, if the receiver could be connected to another dish and update the software, then it could be moved back to the Tailgater.
The receivers all had the most current software. Dish has so much going on lately, I think they are just playing catch up. I would think they will fix this sooner or later. (But there is that word again... "soon"... ;) )

I don't really want to get off on this tangent, but the software that runs Wallys is the worst I have seen since the 7100/7200 WebTv models... And those were HORRIBLE. Not so much on the face of it, it is pretty and functional, but when dealing with connectivity to the dish and switch matrix, it can be a nightmare. The worst problem is the "Tuner 0" glitch.

This is results of a check switch we ran on our test bench (Wally brought in by customer). We disconnected the 129 feed from our 44 switch when it was retired, but still....

20230817_122106.jpg

They are just glitchy AH... It is stuff like that ^ that causes all kinds of issues, especially in commercial installs.

I recently did some tests with a Wally and tailgater combo. I did see the issue you have mentioned. Repositioning the Tailgater did the trick. I don't think I was blocking 129 based on what I can see from dishpointer.com, but maybe I was or maybe I just got lucky.

It took about 3 minutes for the tailgater to stop searching for 129 and get to the point where I could choose to watch TV.

I'll certainly admit that I have nowhere near the experience with DISH that some of you all do, but I'm trying to learn.

The more I thought about this today, it made a lot of sense. If you move the Tailgater, it has to start over and it isn't relying on anything in its memory.

Thanks.

I don't really want to get off on this tangent, but the software that runs Wallys is the worst I have seen since the 7100/7200 WebTv models... And those were HORRIBLE. Not so much on the face of it, it is pretty and functional, but when dealing with connectivity to the dish and switch matrix, it can be a nightmare. The worst problem is the "Tuner 0" glitch.

This is results of a check switch we ran on our test bench (Wally brought in by customer). We disconnected the 129 feed from our 44 switch when it was retired, but still....

View attachment 164362

They are just glitchy AH... It is stuff like that ^ that causes all kinds of issues, especially in commercial installs.
Honestly until dish starts switching back to a dual lnb I would keep the third line connected on a 44 switch. The ports on lnb aren't really assigned a specific satellite bit since it's a triple lnb when connected to a switch it's going to try all three satellites, even if the 129 is no longer active with only 2/3 cables connected it could cause issues. I don't believe we've gotten any official word from dish on how to handle switches since the change but I'd keep all three lines connected.

Honestly until dish starts switching back to a dual lnb I would keep the third line connected on a 44 switch. The ports on lnb aren't really assigned a specific satellite bit since it's a triple lnb when connected to a switch it's going to try all three satellites, even if the 129 is no longer active with only 2/3 cables connected it could cause issues. I don't believe we've gotten any official word from dish on how to handle switches since the change but I'd keep all three lines connected.
Just to add to the mix of results…

I have a DPP LNB connected to a DPH42 switch for my H3. With all three ports from the LNB connected to the 42 switch, a switch test shows columns for 110, 119, and Xs for 129; with a long delay looking for 129. If I disconnect the LNB from port 3 of the 42 switch and run the switch test again, the 129 column with the Xs disappears; and the long delay also disappears. If put port 3 back and rerun the switch test, the 129 X column and delay comes back. It’s completely repeatable. So somehow having that port connected is affecting the scanning.

Could anyone else see if they can reproduce this?