Tailgating 101

Looks great hokiecb! I'm glad to see that there are some other crazy football fans like me. I'm heading out to Cal for the TN season opener on Sept 1st. I can't wait!

Thanks... It gets a lot of comments in the parking lot as i'm sure yours does.

Cal is a long trip just to go watch a football game.. sounds like something I would do, but I can't believe you'd do it to watch Tennessee..

Cal is a long trip just to go watch a football game.. sounds like something I would do, but I can't believe you'd do it to watch Tennessee..

:D It is great that the game is on Labor Day weekend. Great excuse for a long weekend getaway. Even the wife is excited about this trip (of course a promise of a trip to wine country while we're there sure helps). I see that you guys are playing at LSU this year - Start time at 9:15PM. You going to make the trip? That place is crazy at night, but it is a great time! I highly suggest going if you haven't been.

Good information here...now here's a Longhorn joining the mix.

I've recently swapped from D* to Dish Network for the HD capabilities. I have an oval dish with a dual 500 lnb for 110 and 119 and a third LNB for sat 129. I've got a VIP211 receiver. Are there any incompatabilities with the dish/receiver setup?

That will work just fine. Assuming you have a DPP Twin on the Dish 500 you can use the input on that LNB and you'll be good to go. How is the other UT going to be this year?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's a DPP twin.

Colt McCoy will be coming back strong with some good receivers. It's going to be his show to run. We're hoping Jamaal Charles RB comes back stroung this year. His sophomore season was a little disappointing. Defense will be strong. Secondary, which was our weak point this year will be good, even though Marcus Griffin and Terrel Brown are gone.

Check out our website ut-tailgaters.com, texas longhorns football - lot 80 tailgating....hook 'em horns! Unfortunately, our photo gallery is out of commission.

1000.2 ?

I have used a 500 in the past but would like to see all 3 locations. Is the 1000.2 the way to go? Does it usually come with the required switches? I would be using a vip211 or a 622. Thanks

Yep the 1000.2 is great. That is my set-up now (see my avatar). The switch is built in and to be honest I was very surprised at how easy it was to aim.

Lakebum, sounds like you know your satellite stuff.

With my setup, Dish pro 500 w/ third 129 LNB. I have the output of the 129 lnb tied into the 500 lnb input. Then one coax from the 500 to the receiver (VIP211). Do I need a switch w/ this setup? Had a problem getting a signal on the receiver. Moved the receiver to a fixed dish and still couldn't get a signal. I think I did something to the receiver.

No switch necessary for a DDP Twin and a wing satellite attached to the input. One thing to remember is to run a check switch. Especially if the setup that you are using tailgating is at all different from the setup that you normally have it hooked to at home. For instance, at home I have a Dish 1000 with 110, 119, 129, and a wing dish at 61.5 connected to a DPP44. However the tailgate setup is a Dish 1000.2. You need to connect the receiver to the setup and then run a checkswitch so it "knows what it is looking for" Then you can start to aim the dish.

I ran the check switch with the receiver in the house yesterday. It didn't pick up the satellite. It did show it was connected to port 1. The satellite is hooked up to a VIP722 so I know a signal is coming in. Dish Network is sending a technician tomorrow. I'm expecting it to be a bad receiver...but not sure what may have happened to it.

:D It is great that the game is on Labor Day weekend. Great excuse for a long weekend getaway. Even the wife is excited about this trip (of course a promise of a trip to wine country while we're there sure helps). I see that you guys are playing at LSU this year - Start time at 9:15PM. You going to make the trip? That place is crazy at night, but it is a great time! I highly suggest going if you haven't been.

Can we come to one of your tailgating party? :) My son and I went to the LSU/TN game last year and there was a nice TN fan who invited us to their party for some grub. I thought that was very nice of them. We went up 'blind', just he and I and were awash in a sea of orange.

Oh, I forgot to mention we're die-hard LSU fans..I graduated in 90 but then from all my "Monroe, LA" dish posts I guess you figured that out.

Since I'm in Nashville, we'll probably try & hit the KY game or AL game (lol..as if we can get tix) but it would be fun to go to a few other SEC games this fall if we get a chance.

It should be a very interesting year..esp. if the season ends up with the '1 in a million' chance LSU meets up with USC in a bowl. That game would have more emotion than the AL game given the festering non-rivalry rivarly for the last 4 years.

PS, Yes, Tiger Stadium is a unique place to see a football game. Did you see "Southern Comfort"? ;) You don't want to mess with a bunch of drunk rowdy cajuns in the heart of LA on a Saturday night.

PPS Oh, and Tiger tailgating rocks..it doesn't get any better than andouille sausage, jamabalaya, cous cous, etouffe, crawfish..man I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

The more the merrier at my tailgates. Last year for the UT/FL game we actually had over 100 people for part of the afternoon. I went down to the TN/LSU game back when I was in school (I guess that would have been 98 or 99 I think). Had a great time. In fact there were some very nice LSU fans that invited my group in to party with them at their tailgate. I always try to do the same when I see fans from the other team wandering around - as long as they look somewhat respectful and/or hot ;) The games start soon, but not soon enough for me! GO VOLS!

Ok, i am still having trouble hitting the 119 satellite. trying to figure out what i need to change to get it right, it's pretty frustrating to say the least....

Maybe it's possible i don't know how to properly set the angle and the skew but surely i can' tbe that dumb....or maybe i can...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts