Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT

If you are a satellite geek like me, you often wonder how it all works, how your favorite channel gets to you via satellite.

Back at Team Summit I wanted to make a video and show you how your favorite channel gets to you on DISH Network, however due to the understandable security at the uplink facility I was not allowed to video tape.

At Team Summit I was talking with Mark Jackson and told him why I wanted to video tape and what I was looking to do. I then told him I saw a video on the DISH Network retailer channel which showed how it all worked and I asked him for permission to show it to you.

Team Summit has come and gone and the other day I was speaking with Mr. Jackson and he asked me if I got the video yet to show you guys and I told him no I didn't. Last night I got home and there was a package from the uplink center waiting for me with a DVD inside.

Please let your feedback and hopefully we can present more of these type of videos in the future!

My thanks to Mark Jackson, and all the folks who worked hard to put this video together.

So now I am proud to present to you Satellite 101! I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
Huh. I see no links here. Is there something invisible that FF6 isn't showing me?

Great video!!! I'd like to see a behind-the-scenes video of a Customer Service center in Godknowswhere and the idiots that work there named Buffy, Jeff, and Sam that I seem to get every time I call, who don't speak any form of the English language that I can understand. :D

It is a great video, but if I were to change anything, I would LOVE to see to equipment at the Uplink Center and follow one channel so you can see how complex all this stuff really is.

Like "Ok here is our receiving DISH outside, the signal for Discovery HD comes in here and gets sent inside to a whatever receiver... and this is that receiver. Here at the receiver we check the signal for optimum quality and then feed the signal to..." and show the entire line of equipment (that they can show of course) to get that signal in and out to customers.

I am sure that would make a lot of us Dish Heads really happy. I know everytime I have been to the uplink I am wowed by the technology used. But I am sure some folks would love to see what a MPEG4 encoder looks like... and what exactly they are monitoring on that big video wall...

Its so interesting!

Scott Greczkowski said:
It is a great video, but if I were to change anything, I would LOVE to see to equipment at the Uplink Center and follow one channel so you can see how complex all this stuff really is.

Like "Ok here is our receiving DISH outside, the signal for Discovery HD comes in here and gets sent inside to a whatever receiver... and this is that receiver. Here at the receiver we check the signal for optimum quality and then feed the signal to..." and show the entire line of equipment (that they can show of course) to get that signal in and out to customers.

I am sure that would make a lot of us Dish Heads really happy. I know everytime I have been to the uplink I am wowed by the technology used. But I am sure some folks would love to see what a MPEG4 encoder looks like... and what exactly they are monitoring on that big video wall...

Its so interesting!

I would also love to see that! Maybe Mark can make it happen?

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App