Take Dish's and CM 4228 down for hurricane?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
When I had E* and lived in Alabama I took the dish itself down for Ivan(left the arm and lnb's) because I figured it would catch the most wind and I did not have to worry about direction after the storm.

Looks like we might get some good winds here in Charleston from Ernesto so I was wondering what the D* dishes are rated wind wise. I have the AT9 and 1 single 18" for my locals mounted on pole's in the ground. Should I take down the dish's again or can they handle it?

Also, I have a CM 4228 antenna on a pole about 12 feet in the air and was wondering what anyone thinks about pulling this down during the storm or will it catch much air.

:bounce Ernesto is a dud. I'm in Ft Lauderdale and Ernesto is upon us now. No biggie ! I left my AT9 up and even with the wind/rain & heavy cloud cover I havent lost my signal once ??? Unbelievable, since I loose it for summer storms ???:up

Yeah, looking like we'll only get 60 mph winds at the most by the time it gets here Thu. I was mainly wondering for future use since I'm still new to satellite and brand new to outdoor OTA.

The 4228 is fairly beefy, though.

I wouldn't worry about the dish, but depending on your 4228 mount, I would take it down.

If Ernesto is as strong as it was when it hit here, I wouldnt worry. We have had worse thunder storms. I think the strongest winds were around 40 MPH. No damage. Wierd thing is I didnt loose my signal once ??? Very heavy cloud cover, Heavy winds and continous rain. I'm at a loss why since I loose the signal everytime it rains here ??? Oh well

Ernesto definately a DUD.. Little wind and no real rain -- so far. I would not worry, you will do more harm pulling it down.

My Phase III dish survived Wilma, Frances and Jeanne and the eye passed over us on all three. Did not even require realignement. However my screened porch cannot claim the same durability -- twice replaced..:D

pmayo said:
Ernesto definately a DUD.. Little wind and no real rain -- so far. I would not worry, you will do more harm pulling it down.

My Phase III dish survived Wilma, Frances and Jeanne and the eye passed over us on all three. Did not even require realignement. However my screened porch cannot claim the same durability -- twice replaced..:D

Yep, check out these heros:

John

Ioke

As others have said, don't worry about Ernesto.

The 18"-20" DBS antennas will generally blow off the J bracket at about 90mph, even though there is talk they are rated to 110-115, thats BS. After Wilma, there was nothing but the J Brackets left in most of Dade/Broward with 90-95 MPH winds.

Remember its got the thicker J bracket as well - 2" compared to the 1.6" on the smaller dishes. I should imagine they would secure it better, but then again, it might be cheaper not to worry about it and just replace those that disappear.

Mines actually not on a J bracket, it's bolted directly to the top of the pole in the ground. I figure it'll handle some wind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)