Taking the HD-DVD Plunge

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
After much reading and careful consideration, I have decided to take the HD-DVD plunge! I was actually reading some of the reviews over at CNET and so many people are crazy about this unit particularly its ability to upscale stanard dvds. So, now I am in the process of tracking one down.

I have two connection questions:

1. Has anyone tried the DVD/HDMI converters that you can stick on the end of your DVI to DVI cable? I already ahve a DVI cable so this is definitely the cheapest route.

2. Are the basic Acoustic Research audio cables for 5.1 surround sound sufficient for this unit? Or should I get higher quality?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hoopnoop said:
1. Has anyone tried the DVD/HDMI converters that you can stick on the end of your DVI to DVI cable? I already ahve a DVI cable so this is definitely the cheapest route.
The DVI/HDMI connector should work fine. Personally I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable (that came with Dish Network's 942 receiver ;) ).

2. Are the basic Acoustic Research audio cables for 5.1 surround sound sufficient for this unit? Or should I get higher quality?
It all depends on the quality of the rest of your audio system. Acoustic Research interconnects do a decent job and are competitively priced. You most likely will not hear the difference with more expensive interconnects, unless you have a true high-end system. High quality speaker cables, are more important, IMHO.

Enjoy!

You Betcha...the converter cables work just fine

Hoopnoop said:
After much reading and careful consideration, I have decided to take the HD-DVD plunge! I was actually reading some of the reviews over at CNET and so many people are crazy about this unit particularly its ability to upscale stanard dvds. So, now I am in the process of tracking one down.

I have two connection questions:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Unlike the lucky guy that got his at Walmart...when HDMI came out, and I bought a new HDTV...Had to spend $140 on a Monster Cable (YUK)
DVI to HDMI cable! Worked just perfectly though!

Now I scour Ebay for my cables. Unless I need audio (I still use HQ silver cables for audio), I now buy really inexpensive HDMI cables from a couple of vendors with good feedback ratings on Ebay....Monster is WAY over rated...Pretty package though!;) I am using the HDMI splitting capability of my Pioneer Elite Receiver to ferry multi HDMI devices to a single HDMI INPUT on my HDTV, thus the need for more HDMI cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)