Taking the HD-DVD Plunge

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
After much reading and careful consideration, I have decided to take the HD-DVD plunge! I was actually reading some of the reviews over at CNET and so many people are crazy about this unit particularly its ability to upscale stanard dvds. So, now I am in the process of tracking one down.

I have two connection questions:

1. Has anyone tried the DVD/HDMI converters that you can stick on the end of your DVI to DVI cable? I already ahve a DVI cable so this is definitely the cheapest route.

2. Are the basic Acoustic Research audio cables for 5.1 surround sound sufficient for this unit? Or should I get higher quality?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hoopnoop said:
1. Has anyone tried the DVD/HDMI converters that you can stick on the end of your DVI to DVI cable? I already ahve a DVI cable so this is definitely the cheapest route.
The DVI/HDMI connector should work fine. Personally I am using a DVI-to-HDMI cable (that came with Dish Network's 942 receiver ;) ).

2. Are the basic Acoustic Research audio cables for 5.1 surround sound sufficient for this unit? Or should I get higher quality?
It all depends on the quality of the rest of your audio system. Acoustic Research interconnects do a decent job and are competitively priced. You most likely will not hear the difference with more expensive interconnects, unless you have a true high-end system. High quality speaker cables, are more important, IMHO.

Enjoy!

You Betcha...the converter cables work just fine

Hoopnoop said:
After much reading and careful consideration, I have decided to take the HD-DVD plunge! I was actually reading some of the reviews over at CNET and so many people are crazy about this unit particularly its ability to upscale stanard dvds. So, now I am in the process of tracking one down.

I have two connection questions:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Unlike the lucky guy that got his at Walmart...when HDMI came out, and I bought a new HDTV...Had to spend $140 on a Monster Cable (YUK)
DVI to HDMI cable! Worked just perfectly though!

Now I scour Ebay for my cables. Unless I need audio (I still use HQ silver cables for audio), I now buy really inexpensive HDMI cables from a couple of vendors with good feedback ratings on Ebay....Monster is WAY over rated...Pretty package though!;) I am using the HDMI splitting capability of my Pioneer Elite Receiver to ferry multi HDMI devices to a single HDMI INPUT on my HDTV, thus the need for more HDMI cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts