Talk me out of leaving dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
According to their website HTPC TVs get you only local channel access.

Even without their equipment fees, I am still paying more than I currently am with DirecTV and this is with the first year rebates. After the first year it will go up even more.

Without a cablecard that would be true. Same with the Tivos. Using cablecards, Tivos and HTPCs function as STBs. Hauppauge and Silicon Dust have 2 and 3 tuner add-ons. Ceton has both a USB and X1 cablecard adapters for 4 tuners. Premium channel content is usually locked and can't be shared. The multichannel cablecard adapters are relatively new hardware.

That is the only way I can see people saving is if they do some bundle and compare it what they may currently be paying for an expensive internet and phone plan.

For me I pay $20 less per month with comparable internet service with TWC and my home phone is free with Ooma. So triple play would cost me even more than what I am currently paying.
yeah, that is why we will save money, i was playing around with the packages and standalone both tv and internet are like $74, but together you can get it for $84. Since we already have internet, then those savings make sense, and dish receiver fees are already high too and have to pay them even if you own the box. I did look at Direct last month and they would have been more than Dish for us, so that's not an option. I do have to say the internet is great on fios, that is why we kept it, never slows down like Cox always used to do. And apparently we have 25/15 right now, i never knew we got bumped up, never noticed a difference, so i think we will go back to the 15/5 to save a little more.

Also, if anyone else is thinking of signing up for fios, do it online. The website is down right now when you try to order, so I called and they were quoting completely different prices for off contract and on contract compared to the prices for the two online, like $20 more.

Only $215 to go to a 2/3 H/J. Feel lucky. They want to charge me at least $700 for the same set up. I've been with Dish for 14.5 years on auto pay and all they can tell me is that's what the computer says.

As far as fios. Make sure that their equipment will do what you want. We see a fair number of people come back to Dish saying what a mistake they made in going to fios.

Yeah, I slept over my brothers house super bowl night and he has fios with the new boxes and new guide and I liked it. Similar to the old one but in hd, and much faster. One of the reasons I actually signed up for dish was because I read on here that people really liked the boxes, and I completely hated the fios ones. But the new ones are much better. I will say this, I don't think they will but they do still have the old boxes on the website, but if they show up with those I will cancel the order right there and then, lol.

Matt of the DIRT team just got back to me saying the receiver upgrade fees can't be waived so its bye bye to dish. They really don't want to make any effort to keep current subs. All they offered was to waive the $15 install fee, lol. It makes no sense to me to pay $200 to get the new boxes and sign a two year contract. No thanks.

Matt of the DIRT team just got back to me saying the receiver upgrade fees can't be waived so its bye bye to dish. They really don't want to make any effort to keep current subs. All they offered was to waive the $15 install fee, lol. It makes no sense to me to pay $200 to get the new boxes and sign a two year contract. No thanks.

Dish isn't forcing you to do anything. If your contract is up and don't like what Dish is offering for new equipment and don't like the programming anymore or your present equipment, yes try another provider. $99 is generally the lowest price for one Hopper I see. So your complaint is over $100 "for two boxes."

No, $200 for two boxes. And yes, because its not like I am buying a phone on contract for $200, I own the phone, if I leave I can sell it, if I leave early if you have a good phone you can sell it and pay the ETF with it. With this I am paying $200 and will not own anything and still on contract for 2 years with no discounts like a new customer would have. With cable and Fios if they get new equipment you just trade it in, you don't have to pay. And really, looking at the hopper and joey and wanting them, seeing how much it would be to upgrade and not liking it is the only reason I even gave Fios a second look. We always get their mailers and I would just ignore them, until this Saturday when i decided to actually read one and see that their offering had improved. So dish's receiver fees made me look, and Verizon's good offer is making me leave. If I could have just upgraded like cable, they would have never lost me as a customer because I was happy and never would have priced out Fios.

and to put it another way, I don't want to pay dish $200 to sign a two year contract. I know I don't need it, no one upgrading really needs it, but like most people on here I love new tech :), that's why i am on here. And to others on here that also love tech that might seem like a good deal to get the newest stuff, but to me it is not. Any other person would probably say that is a bad deal. And like I said above, this is the only reason I looked elsewhere, if fios was not a better deal and had not improved their equipment and programming I would have stayed with my current setup, I would not have left just because I could not upgrade.

The cost of upgrading has been posted for weeks. You make it sound like a surprise that it costs at least $99 for a Hopper. Know what a Direct whole home receiver costs - $399. Go read the posts about people trying and not getting a better deal. I certainly get you want the new technology, but you have to pay for it then. I just don't get that you think you should get it free when that's not the deal, not how Direct does it either. That to me is making up your own rule, then getting mad when the company won't follow your rule. You are apparently asking for something Dish feels is better to not have you as a customer, and you feel better not to be a customer. Maybe this is why;

http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiostv/equipment

That Fios multi-room receiver? $19.99 a month, and not in the league of a Dish or Direct whole home DVR. And it's one HD output. Their single TV HD receiver (not DVR) $9.99 a month. (Some discount when you get more than one receiver)
No wonder you can upgrade for free.

Last edited:
Mabe its best for you part ways with all and might dish. They think its best for you to try another provider so they don't get your money for some time and when and if you think dish was better (after 6months ) they will welcome you back with open arms with new gear and new customer discounts and free install to boot.

The upgrade fees are just and makes sure the customer is happy. Plus dish is whole when they charge you $100+ For a simple upgrade of gear they will keep if you ever did leave.

If the fios is no contract. Why not drop Dish down to the welcome pack for a month and have the fios installed. If you don't like the fios setup for some reason you still have the dish setup and just have to change your package back or go ahead with a hopper upgrade.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

Good point. This way your not sending the equipment back and getting screwed if you want to come back after a few days

FiOS TV Equipment & Installation | FiOS TV | Verizon

That Fios multi-room receiver? $19.99 a month, and not in the league of a Dish or Direct whole home DVR. And it's one HD output. Their single TV HD receiver (not DVR) $9.99 a month. (Some discount when you get more than one receiver)
No wonder you can upgrade for free.
Woah! $20 a month?! Granted, it probably pays itself off quickly when you are paying $10 a month for a non-DVR HD receiver. That's rather expensive.

No, $200 for two boxes. And yes, because its not like I am buying a phone on contract for $200, I own the phone, if I leave I can sell it, if I leave early if you have a good phone you can sell it and pay the ETF with it. With this I am paying $200 and will not own anything and still on contract for 2 years with no discounts like a new customer would have.
Well, you wouldn't own the boxes because they probably cost $400 to $600 combined... and you only paid $200.
With cable and Fios if they get new equipment you just trade it in, you don't have to pay.
Looking at the rates, you better be able to.
So dish's receiver fees made me look, and Verizon's good offer is making me leave. If I could have just upgraded like cable, they would have never lost me as a customer because I was happy and never would have priced out Fios.
Hope the FIOS experience goes well.

Woah! $20 a month?! Granted, it probably pays itself off quickly when you are paying $10 a month for a non-DVR HD receiver. That's rather expensive.

Well, you wouldn't own the boxes because they probably cost $400 to $600 combined... and you only paid $200.
Looking at the rates, you better be able to.
Hope the FIOS experience goes well.
I only use my dvr as single output so don't care about that. The prices I said for Fios is for us to have 3 Dvrs, so 6 recordings, one can share and that's all i really want. And yeah, its $20 bucks, that's the only downside, but with the bundle savings it makes it better than dish since we already have fios internet. And also there is no extra dvr or home dvr fee. So say you hook up three tvs, one home dvr, and 3 hd boxes, its $38.99 for receiver fees, with dish the hopper is free, the 3 joeys are $7 each, $6 dvr, $4 home dvr, so its $31, so about $8 less if you go without the service plan, with the service plan you save $2. But with fios you can actually watch a different show on each tv, the 3rd joey has to watch what one of the others is watching, if two things are recording only one of the 4 tvs can watch something live. So don't get your point that dish has a better implementation, Direct is better from what i have seen since the main box has 5 tuners and all the other boxes has their own, but not dish. Now if I were to setup 3 dual dvrs on dish with two stb, it would be, oh wait, can't do that, 6 tuner limit. That is why we could not add a 722k to the living room and solve the problem of only having one tuner there during the day when something was recording and my mom wanted to watch something else, i don't stop hearing about it. hence why i wanted the hopper system.

And if you sign a contract like you have to with dish, you can get the home dvr for free. And depending how they do the discount, the other 3 boxes would either be $18 or $22.

And a smartphone costs $600 or more and I own it if I pay $200 to the phone company and sign a contract, so don't get your point. Heck, I got my Razr for 1cent and I own it.

Last edited:
I was concerned about BBC America HD before I switched (Dish to FIOS), but I can hardly tell the difference. The SD quality on FIOS is pretty good, even on larger screens. Not perfect, but pretty good.

FiOS is awesome, except for the equipment. They use the same crap cable boxes that the cable companies use.

I was concerned about BBC America HD before I switched (Dish to FIOS), but I can hardly tell the difference. The SD quality on FIOS is pretty good, even on larger screens. Not perfect, but pretty good.
Yeah that is really the only channel i watch that they don't have in hd that i currently have on dish, the only other one used to be FSC HD but they added that one last year. Dish I think still has more HD, since I don't count all the repeat premium channels (east and west) as separate ones, and they have some really crap ones .tv channels that show the same crap over and over, but for the ones I watch its about the same and we will get more channels in hd compared to our current package on dish. If we were still on AT250 it would be a different story, but also a much bigger difference in price.
Install is set for tomorrow afternoon, hopefully it is quick since we have the major equipment already installed because we have Fios Internet.
And I ended up calling and getting a different price, first year $170 plus like $5 tax, but the second year would be less than I thought, $185 with no contract, contract price is the same, just price lock for the 2nd year, but if they raise it a lot we can just leave, lol. And was going to get the contract to get the home dvr free for a year, but that was only for triple play which we did not want, so we went no contract.

FiOS is awesome, except for the equipment. They use the same crap cable boxes that the cable companies use.
I know, that's why we left 2 and a half years ago. They are rolling out new ones that our area is getting with new guides that are much better. The HDD went from 160gb to 500gb, more ram and faster processor. So that is one of the reasons we are moving back, if they still had those I would not. Those old STBs make the 612 boxes look good. P.S, I hate the 612, lol.

I know, that's why we left 2 and a half years ago. They are rolling out new ones that our area is getting with new guides that are much better. The HDD went from 160gb to 500gb, more ram and faster processor. So that is one of the reasons we are moving back, if they still had those I would not. Those make the 612 boxes look good. P.S, I hate the 612, lol.

I hear ya. The 722k and 222k is no better. But, I can't upgrade to the Hopper since I'm a Plan D customer (I can only purchase, I cannot lease, and I'm not sure why as DISH won't tell me the real reason).

Yeah that is really the only channel i watch that they don't have in hd that i currently have on dish, the only other one used to be FSC HD but they added that one last year. Dish I think still has more HD, since I don't count all the repeat premium channels (east and west) as separate ones, and they have some really crap ones .tv channels that show the same crap over and over, but for the ones I watch its about the same and we will get more channels in hd compared to our current package on dish. If we were still on AT250 it would be a different story, but also a much bigger difference in price.
Install is set for tomorrow afternoon, hopefully it is quick since we have the major equipment already installed because we have Fios Internet.
And I ended up calling and getting a different price, first year $170 plus like $5 tax, but the second year would be less than I thought, $185 with no contract, contract price is the same, just price lock for the 2nd year, but if they raise it a lot we can just leave, lol. And was going to get the contract to get the home dvr free for a year, but that was only for triple play which we did not want, so we went no contract.

I didn't want the triple play either, but thats where the discounts are. I got 35/35, Ultimate, and Phone for $154.37 a month after taxes. ( multiroom DVR and 2 STBs. - no other packages ) This is 2 year contract with the price locked in and I got a $500 gift card, which paid for groceries this month. :)

3/7 4/6 Triple Play 109.99
• FiOS Digital Voice UnlimitedView Call Details 30.00
• FiOS TV Ultimate HD 74.99
• FiOS Internet 35/35 40.00
• 24 Mo. FiOS Digital Voice Discount thru Dec 2, 2013 -5.00
• 24 Mo. Bundle Credit thru Dec 2, 2013 -10.00
• 24 Mo. Bundle Credit thru Dec 2, 2013 -5.00
• Holiday Bundle Credit thru Dec 2, 2013 -10.00
• 24-Month Contract Discount thru Dec 2, 2013 -5.00
3/7 4/6 Multi-Room DVR Package - 3 Room 33.99
Current Charges Subtotal $143.98

Current Activity Total $143.98

Taxes, Fees and Other Charges
This section lists your applicable federal, state and local taxes, surcharges and fees as well as Verizon surcharges. Late and returned-payment charges will also display here.
Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees
VA Communications Sales Tax 3.89
E-911 Tax .75
VA Public Rights-of-Way Use Fee .83
VA State Sales Tax 1.70

Verizon Surcharges and Other Charges and Credits
Federal Universal Service Fee 1.74
PEG Grant Fee 1.40
Regulatory Recovery Fee - Federal .08

Total Taxes, Fees and Other Charges $10.39

From Dish's point of view, they'd rather lose you as a customer than keep you and lose money on you. Costs work both ways.

I didn't want the triple play either, but thats where the discounts are. I got 35/35, Ultimate, and Phone for $154.37 a month after taxes. ( multiroom DVR and 2 STBs. - no other packages ) This is 2 year contract with the price locked in and I got a $500 gift card, which paid for groceries this month. :)
Yeah, I think you got a good deal but adding the phone would have cost more than just getting magic jack for us. We call international, but not a lot, and when we had Verizon it was $20 for 500min, and never really used all of them each month. But it was something good to have in case of emergency and stuff like that, to just be able to call and not worry about having a calling card at hand. With magic jack plus, which is like $6 a month ($80 for the year) we just add $20 to the account and have the whole year to use up the international minutes, not just a month, and add more as we need. We also have more taxes here for phone. And we will have 2 additional dvrs on our account, so total for triple play for us would have been about $238, and we would have qualified for one of the promotions, so say dvr free for a year it would be $218 first year, so $48 more, with magic jack its just $6 more. the faster internet would be nice but honestly i did not know we were on 25\25, when we signed up it was 15/5 and never noticed a difference and can't tell you when it went up to 25/25. Speed is nice but 15/5 does what we need, and Verizon does not actually cap it right at that, whenever i test it its above those numbers, usually 20/20. The thing that is really great about fios is not necessarily the speed, is that it is always consistent, never dips, never slows down. And don't need ultimate tv, just a bunch of those .tv channels and showtime really, we don't need it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)