Taters N' Gravy

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
For those of us who are too lazy to peel potatoes, there's the old instant potatos on standby in the store.

The thing is, there are seasoned instant potatoes also.

Just trying to decide what flavor to get and what gravy to use with them can be just as confusing as what wine goes with what meat, beef, poultry and fish.

So I'm going to try an experiment with some gravy and instant potatoes before Thanksgiving.

Cheesy Potatoes-Beef Gravy

Garlic Potatoes-Chicken Gravy

Butter Potatoes-Turkey Gravy

So, have any of you been in my situation during Thanksgiving and the December holidays?

For those of us who are too lazy to peel potatoes, there's the old instant potatos on standby in the store.

The thing is, there are seasoned instant potatoes also.

Just trying to decide what flavor to get and what gravy to use with them can be just as confusing as what wine goes with what meat, beef, poultry and fish.

So I'm going to try an experiment with some gravy and instant potatoes before Thanksgiving.

Cheesy Potatoes-Beef Gravy

Garlic Potatoes-Chicken Gravy

Butter Potatoes-Turkey Gravy

So, have any of you been in my situation during Thanksgiving and the December holidays?

Fake instant potatoes on Thanksgiving?! That is sacrilege.

If your strapped for time, you could always peel the night before and keep them in a pot, submerged in water so they don't turn brown.

I use Yukon Gold potatoes for my mashed taters. I just cut them up and leave the skins on. The skins are very thin and soften quite well while boiling.

I've used the frozen mashed potatos in the past, both regular and garlic seasoned. There is a definite texture difference that isn't good. I also learned that adding a quarter of butter to replace half the milk does good things.

Still, it isn't that much work to boil potatos, and it doesn't take any extra time. I second the skin on, Yukon Gold suggestion. The skins add nice flavor. I'd still use the quarter of butter and a splash of milk.

For seasoning, I have used a number of different seasonings, depending on what I am serving it with. Tossing in a couple of cloves of garlic when boiling is good. I also have good luck with dill weed as it gives a nice tangy taste that works with chicken or fish. Rosemary works with the garlic.

I am generally a fan of letting the meat decide the gravy. I tend to make it from the drippings, but that requires some experience with making a roo. It is best to practice with flour and heated oil until you learn how not to cook the flour. You want gravy, not dumplings.

Okay, I see I stirred up a hornet's nest of sorts. But, I'll tell you what I found instant potato wise.

-Hungry Jack Easy Mash'd (I found 4 different flavors)

You don't have to add butter and instead of adding water like it says in the directions, just add skim milk. (Haven't tried it out with 1% or 2% yet). Tastes just as good as homemade, I haven't tried it with gravy yet.

Okay, I see I stirred up a hornet's nest of sorts. But, I'll tell you what I found instant potato wise.

-Hungry Jack Easy Mash'd (I found 4 different flavors)

You don't have to add butter and instead of adding water like it says in the directions, just add skim milk. (Haven't tried it out with 1% or 2% yet). Tastes just as good as homemade, I haven't tried it with gravy yet.

To each their own. However, to be fair to the rest of us, you did say this was for a holiday dinner. To most people, that means pulling out all the stops and doing your best, not going for Ritz crackers and the brand name aerosal cheese ;)

I honestly feel that real potatoes taste better and don't take much more work. Do I use the frozen ones? Yes. I am a single working dad, and sometimes I need to get something on the plates quickly between work and scouts. However, I would never pretend that the Stouffer's meatloaf is 'just as good' as the real thing. Same for the potatos.

As for the skim milk part, I went and looked in the Freezer. The package I have in there lists 18g of carbohydrates/serving. Butter vs skim milk is good for another gram at most. Perhaps we should have a thread on low carb cooking. In the case of potatos, try overcooking cauliflower and then mashing it. The texture is almost perfect. The flavor is close, and I actually like it. The carb count is 3g instead of the 18. I don't have the flavored one in the freezer now, but I would bet that it also has the sodium going through the roof as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)