TBS-HD (and TNT-HD I guess) - is ANYTHING in OAR?

Wheel and Jeopardy are shown in SD accross my locals OTA. but since I get KC stations in HD via Satellite, I get Wheel and Jepoardy in HD.

I called our local station and ask why it wasn't in HD. The answer, those prgrams are broadcast earlier and saved to tape. The little local station doesn't have enough money to buy a recorder to tape them In HD where as the big station does.

I am guessing this is a big reason for all of the stretchovision stuff (money).

2) I'm not sure if it's up to the network to "convert" shows or movies. In fact, are they even allowed to ?

It might be similar to music. The artists own the music but the labels own the recordings. I believe however that (depending on the contract probably) studios dont have permission to alter the recordings nowdays especially if the artists have any clout. Remasters for example require permission I think because they would in effect be new recordings. But then again I am not in the music biz.

I'd say that TBS has LIBRARIES of these syndicated series that are in SD format and they ain't gonna change that anytime soon....

They could add graphic bars to the side like ESPN and Kung Fu do. That way Joe6Pack wouldn't complain (as much) about the black or grey bars!

TNT or TBS ? On TNT, I agree, especially when I turned on one of the Lord of the Rings showings and it was zoomed/stretched. I have to admit, I've watched LOTR many, many times from DVD and am very familiar with the OAR of it and this really looked bad.

If you're referring to TBS and a re-run of Friends or Seinfeld or similar, 4:3 is OAR for them.

A&E-HD had Forest Gump in stretchy vision last night. Guess they have joined the club. Is it really that hard to get an HD copy of Forest Gump? Geeze, that movie must have played a dozen times in HD on ABC by now, and I won't even guess how many times it ran in HD on what ever premium channel had carried it.

Well I guess no one likes how they show 4:3 shows in HD lol...

I don't really care because I just stretch all the standard shows anyways through dish to have it fill my screen. I don't really find it that bad once you watch it a few days! After a few days you don't even notice or care. You guys should give it a shot!

Well I guess no one likes how they show 4:3 shows in HD lol...

I don't really care because I just stretch all the standard shows anyways through dish to have it fill my screen. I don't really find it that bad once you watch it a few days! After a few days you don't even notice or care. You guys should give it a shot!

You are definitely in the minority around these parts. I think most people (the jane & joe sixpacks) are like you and they just don't give a sh*t if it looks bad, as long as it fills the screen. "It's HD, ain't it?"

I will state it again, I cannot, for the life of me, understand how people will spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for a TV that can recreate a perfect picture and then voluntarily distort the image!

See ya
Tony

I was at a clients house on Friday and they were watching TBSHD. They were viewing on a 40" SONY 1980p LCD tv. I asked them how they liked the non-hd stretched picture and they replied, what stretched picture. Most people don't have a clue what they are seeing.

A little while back we were watching the Rockies game. That was before Dish got TBS in HD (or before we knew they had TBS in HD - one or the other). Anyway, my father-in-law came over to watch on our new TV and stated that he didn't think we had a HDTV ... because the people weren't short and fat like on his son's TV. For him, at the time, HD meant "short and fat". Now he's learned better. TBS HD looks quite good on our set for these baseball playoffs. No stretch-o-vision. Nice!

Can you explain why you want to stretch? This is a serious question, I'm just trying to figure out what people's motivation is for doing it.

Can you explain why you want to stretch? This is a serious question, I'm just trying to figure out what people's motivation is for doing it.

My inlaws have a Sony 32" crt 16x9 and keep everything in stretch. They even watch the analog of the local channels & not the HD because of the pillar box. To each his own, I guess, but I just don't get it. BTW, they don't have HD satellite, so actually everything but primetime CBS would be widescreen, maybe that's why.

Stretching is like winning a car giveaway. Where they give you the choice of a Ferrari or a Chevy Station Wagon. And you choose the wagon because it fills your driveway better.

It doesn't make any sense to me either. But to each his own I suppose.

My sister has a 50" rear projection DLP and would rather get the 4:3 dvd and stretch it to fit then go with a letterbox version of the same movie.

I asked why and she said they can't stand the bars.

They also had there Xbox360 hooked up with the composite stretched instead of the component.

:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts