TBS6981 DVB-S2 problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimlas53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
SC
I'm trying to get a Turbosight TBS6981 PCIe dual tuner card running in a Ubuntu 10.04 HTPC. The card comes with a set of S2 API Ver 5 drivers which were built and installed.
I am very new to satellite systems, bought a Geosatpro 90cm dish and DSR200 receiver with a SG2100 motor to move the dish. I am pointed at a sat getting good SQ, but the TBS card can not tune or scan.
Does anyone have any constructive suggestions to help troubleshoot the problem?
Thanks in advance!

have you tried s2-liplianin ?

hg clone s2-liplianin: Summary
make menuconfig
make
sudo make install

I recommend only selecting the stuff you need. I use it for my Prof 7500, Igor (the author) seems to keep pretty upto date with bug fix's for a variety of tuners.

have you tried s2-liplianin ?

make menuconfig
make
sudo make install

How do I set this up? I installed mercurial, but it expects a repo??
I get errors trying to build the drivers that came with the prof 7500, and also the ones I downloaded from their website:

make
make -C /shared/prof7500/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/shared/prof7500/v4l'
scripts/make_makefile.pl
Updating/Creating .config
Preparing to compile for kernel version 2.6.24
File not found: /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/.config at ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl line 32, <IN> line 4.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/shared/prof7500/v4l'
make[1]: Entering directory `/shared/prof7500/v4l'
Updating/Creating .config
Preparing to compile for kernel version 2.6.24
File not found: /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/.config at ./scripts/make_kconfig.pl line 32, <IN> line 4.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `.myconfig', needed by `config-compat.h'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/shared/prof7500/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I'm running 2.6.32-25, I don't know where it is getting the kernel number.

I just set up a dual boot here with the latest Ubuntu about a week ago. Linux has sure
improved since I played with it a bit back in the early 90's but I've been pulling my hair
out trying to get the S2-liplianin to play with my Prof 7500. After several days googling
the internet, I finally got it to compile without errors and got it to install to the end but
something still is not right. I won't let it beat me but sure giving this ole man a headache.
The Prof shows up in the log file but I get the "Unable to open file /dev/video0". Your
errors look different to the ones I had. I'm beginning to think I should have tried
something other than Ubuntu. Well back to the headache.......

"Linux has sure
improved since I played with it a bit back in the early 90's but I've been pulling my hair
out trying to get the S2-liplianin to play with my Prof 7500."

My prof 7500 arrived today, that is why I'm working on it versus the TBS6981 card I started with. I know I could set up a Windows box and this 7500 might work great, but I only use windows for some CAD/CAM stuff that I need, on a virtual machine. I run all Ubuntu machines, I just don't really want to climb into the engine compartment to get something working. But the price is hard to beat, I suppose.
Keep on keepin on!

jimlas53: looks like its missing some kernel includes (headers), make sure you have the dev stuff installed.

ie im running 2.6.32.2

so I need to make sure I have
linux-headers-2.6.35.2

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-headers

I just set up a dual boot here with the latest Ubuntu about a week ago. Linux has sure
out trying to get the S2-liplianin to play with my Prof 7500. After several days googling
the internet, I finally got it to compile without errors and got it to install to the end but
something still is not right. I won't let it beat me but sure giving this ole man a headache.
The Prof shows up in the log file but I get the "Unable to open file /dev/video0". Your
errors look different to the ones I had. I'm beginning to think I should have tried
something other than Ubuntu. Well back to the headache.......

what app is giving you the /dev/video0 error ? thats usually only used with analog tuners or hardware mpeg decoders, which the prof 7500 isnt either.

UDL, I found a how-to for the Liplianin build:

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install mercurial cvs subversion libncurses-dev
cd /usr/local/src
cd s2-liplianin
cd linux/include/linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`/include/linux/compiler.h ./
cd ../../../
make distclean
make
make install
depmod -a
reboot

In the make, it can't locate header files for this driver:

CC [M] /usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/firedtv-1394.o
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/firedtv-1394.c:22:17: error: dma.h: No such file or directory
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/firedtv-1394.c:23:21: error: csr1212.h: No such file or directory
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/firedtv-1394.c:24:23: error: highlevel.h: No such file or directory

... Many errors follow...

Looking in firedtv-1394.c, I see the files includes, but they aren't in the folder. I'm looking to see if they are somewhere, I have to think that other drivers are using these common includes.
This is the latest off the website - any suggestions?

make sure you have all the kernel header files installed for your kernel.
Trying to save a new .config file from menuconfig, but during make, the same file errors show up. Sounds like the .config file is not being updated. I run menuconfig as root, so permissions shouldn't be the problem.
Suggestions?

what app is giving you the /dev/video0 error ? thats usually only used with analog tuners or hardware mpeg decoders, which the prof 7500 isnt either.

I have a Multimedia Systems Selector which on the video side has a selection for
Video for Linux (v4l) and when I hit the test button thats the message I get. I also
loaded Kaffeine and the Source selection on it is grayed out. I do see the
/dev/dvb/adapter0 in the file system and it shows the Prof 7500 in the Log File.
I haven't memorized all these commands yet but a couple other checks I did
show it also. So I don't know where to go next. I just keep reading different sources
on the internet and go from there. (Too bad I can't read Russian)

Trying to save a new .config file from menuconfig, but during make, the same file errors show up. Sounds like the .config file is not being updated. I run menuconfig as root, so permissions shouldn't be the problem.
Suggestions?

I had to edit my config file to stop the errors. Here's what I found:

Note: If you are using Ubuntu, before proceeding to build the modules, you will have to edit the file v4l/.config and change the line for the firedtv driver from "firedtv=m" to "firedtv=n". The reason for this necessity is because Ubuntu has a bug in their packaging of the kernel headers that results in a fatal compilation error within the v4l-dvb build process when it reaches the firedtv module.

why are you building the firedtv module if you dont have a firedtv ? when you do make menuconfig only select the hardware you actually have, disable everything else.

OK, got through the menuconfig, compile is failing on one file:

/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/ir-sysfs.c: In function 'store_protocols':
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/ir-sysfs.c:137: error: implicit declaration of function 'skip_spaces'
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/ir-sysfs.c:137: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/ir-sysfs.c:178: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[3]: *** [/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l/ir-sysfs.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-25-generic'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/s2-liplianin/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

*** Sigh ***
All I wanted to do was install a tuner and be able to incorporate all of my media sources in one machine. This is the reason why people use windows!:(

Boy I feel like a rel Dumb $$$. Mine seems to be working fine. Just was not digging
deep enough in the program. Would have been going yesterday if I'd just slowed
down and played a little.

jimlas 53

That sounds like what I had. Do this patch first, then the above or as updatelee says.

Re: v4l-dvb compile error (implicit declaration of function 'skip_spaces')

Copy and paste this patch file from Mauro into a text file and save it in the v4l-dvb/linux directory of your repository. (the file name is your choice)

cd into the linux directory and run the following command
Code:
patch -p1 -i patchfile-name

The Prof 7500 is powered and connected. Looking through dmesg, I see this:

[ 10.613096] dvb-usb: found a 'Prof 7500 USB DVB-S2' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
[ 10.613100] usb 2-2: firmware: requesting dvb-usb-p7500.fw

I searched the system for this file, can't find it.
Suggestions?

OK, got the firmware file.
Just a question - why do I need to go to a russian site to find a firmware file?
Shouldn't it be included in the code?
Just asking...

Thanks UDL and Hindu. I appreciate the patient answers!

Glad to hear you got it going jimlas53!

Working in the Terminal in linux kinda reminds me of my DOS and Basic days UDL.
My problem was I dove in head first after years of mousing around in all the flavors
of Windows. Linux gives you the best of both worlds, You get to the heart of things
and still have the GUI. I've played with your tune-s2 app UDL. Working great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts