SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2005
Music City, USA
tcmsupport (TCM Help Center)

Feb 14, 14:24 EST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to TCM. We're very sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with closed captioning on the TCM channel. We've had several reports about this issue over the past couple of months, and have been looking into it.

The WarnerMedia technical team has investigated the closed captioning issue, including checking the transmission that is being broadcast, to ensure that the captions are present (for movies that have been captioned). They’ve reported that everything on the TCM side is functioning correctly, and they are continuing to work with certain cable providers to determine if there are other ongoing issues with the receipt of our signal.

We’ve had some recent feedback from viewers that their cc issues are now resolved. Keep reading to see if this can help you.

In almost all cases with DISH customers, the problem was the Captioning Service selected on their equipment settings (possibly due to an automated update by their provider). Changing the settings for Captioning Service from 1 (one) to 0 (zero) corrected the cc.
Here's how:
Go the the Home Screen --> Menu Tab --> Settings --> Accessibility --> Closed Captions --> Captioning Service; you should be able to change the Captioning Service to "0" which should restore captions on TCM.

Please let us know if you try these options and your cc issues are still not resolved.
Sincerely,
Your friends at TCM

Feb 14, 14:24 EST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to TCM. We're very sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with closed captioning on the TCM channel. We've had several reports about this issue over the past couple of months, and have been looking into it.

The WarnerMedia technical team has investigated the closed captioning issue, including checking the transmission that is being broadcast, to ensure that the captions are present (for movies that have been captioned). They’ve reported that everything on the TCM side is functioning correctly, and they are continuing to work with certain cable providers to determine if there are other ongoing issues with the receipt of our signal.

We’ve had some recent feedback from viewers that their cc issues are now resolved. Keep reading to see if this can help you.

In almost all cases with DISH customers, the problem was the Captioning Service selected on their equipment settings (possibly due to an automated update by their provider). Changing the settings for Captioning Service from 1 (one) to 0 (zero) corrected the cc.
Here's how:
Go the the Home Screen --> Menu Tab --> Settings --> Accessibility --> Closed Captions --> Captioning Service; you should be able to change the Captioning Service to "0" which should restore captions on TCM.

Please let us know if you try these options and your cc issues are still not resolved.
Sincerely,
Your friends at TCM
Well get back to them and tell them as of 3:40 CDT that it's still not working on 0 or 1. Sounds like we need to get Dish involved. Hopper2/Sling:oldmad

Before anyone tells TCM it isn't working make sure you are clear you are speaking for yourself. It is working for me. (VIP receiver)
All settings are on "Provider" and on 0. However 1 is now working also.

And these threads should be combined.

I can’t combine from my phone. But I tried on two tv’s last night and Closed Captioning was working on two TV’s fine from TCM.

Tried in a Hopper 3 and a 4K Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Tampa8
Scott...Just delete this thread since I am obviously one of very few with the problem...at this very minute.

Further beating a dead horse...my wife watched a Feb 7th recording of Crossfire on TCM last night and CC was perfect. CC is missing from recordings made last night or live today.

More errata received today:
tcmsupport (TCM)

Feb 15, 14:05 EST

Hi again, Jon!

Thanks for this additional information. Please know that this issue is still high on our priority list. Although the WarnerMedia technical team has thoroughly checked and verified that the cc piece is being broadcast by TCM, they're still working with specific providers (mainly Charter and DISH) to try to help resolve this issue. We (the customer service team) are forwarding all closed caption comments to the technical team to keep them apprised of the feedback we're receiving from viewers.
Sincerely,
Your friends at TCM

And, FWIW, I occasionally get a few garbled letters now. Very few very infrequently.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
after reading this thread, I checked to see if I had this issue...………..I do
I changed the settings from 0 - 6 & still nothing, except for an ocassional garble of letters
I have 2 HWS & wireless joey, if the equipment matters

Reactions: Howard Simmons
My TCM CC is working again today except on some inserts before and after movies. CC on movies is fine. Fingers crossed.

I let TCM support know that CC is working for at least some of us and got this response:

Feb 17, 10:36 EST

Fantastic! So glad it's working for you now...thanks for letting us know. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Sincerely,
Your friends at TCM

Reactions: Tampa8 and KE4EST
Just curious, but from a technical standpoint, how can it only affect a few providers? Isn't the same signal hitting everyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts