Team USA- '08 Announced

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Yesterday, the U.S. Olympic basketball roster was announced. The team hopes to capture the gold medal in Beijing in August after a third-place showing in Athens four years ago.

This will be the first time since the dream team in '96 that at least 5 members will be returning from the previous assembled team.

The 12 man roster will include the following. Returning members are in bold:

Carmelo Anthony
Jason Kidd

Carlos Boozer

Chris Paul
Chris Bosh
Tayshaun Prince
Kobe Bryant
Michael Redd
Dwight Howard
Dwyane Wade

LeBron James
Deron Williams

Team '08 is led by managing director Jerry Colangelo and Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. According to team officials, they believe that they have "re-established" themselves on an international level.

IMO, this maybe the most talented lineup assembled since the original dream teams of the early 90's. Our only weakness appears to be lack of depth at the center position though. Dwight Howard is the only center on the team.

IMO, this maybe the most talented lineup assembled since the original dream teams of the early 90's. Our only weakness appears to be lack of depth at the center position though. Dwight Howard is the only center on the team.

Yep...and that lack of depth will kill them. They will be considered of the favorites, but THIS team with lack of center depth, will get nothing but bronze...silver at best.

...AND I hope they prove me wrong!

They should win it, with some of the other nations not using some NBA players because their NBA team won't let them play because they could get injuried should be a walk in the park for the dream.

That should be a pretty good team. Although other than Dwight Howard they have no big men, but I guess that's the way the international scene plays now.

Here's my rotation......

PG Chris Paul/Deron Williams/Jason Kidd
SG Kobe Bryant/Dwyane Wade/Michael Redd
SF LeBron James/Tayshaun Prince/Carmelo Anthony
PF Chris Bosh/Carlos Boozer/Carmelo Anthony
C Dwight Howard/Chris Bosh/Carlos Boozer

Now if we could add Tim Duncan and KG (I assume they turned the offer down already), we would pretty much dominate and it would solve our "big" issue.

I expect this team to do a lot of running though. Seeing Chris Paul play with LeBron is going to be quite exciting...

Good to see the token Dookie to pacify that rat-faced punk Kpoweuitpieurtiowerhibuegilblhoxdljnzsdfpioasuhefjbski. :)

Good to see the token Dookie to pacify that rat-faced punk Kpoweuitpieurtiowerhibuegilblhoxdljnzsdfpioasuhefjbski. :)

So, you think Coach K selecting Boozer was merely a favor? I can't think of another power forward that would replace him.

Amare Stoudemire and Chauncey Billups played in 2007 (FIBA) but withdrew their names from the selection process this time around. Tyson Chandler played the fewest minutes on the 2007 team and Mike Miller had the second lowest field goal percentage on the 2007 team. Those four players have been replaced by Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade.

Since the debacles for Team USA in 2002, 2004 and 2006, USA Basketball has emphasized that it wants a three year commitment from players so that the team can develop cohesion and chemistry. That is why the fifth member of the 2008 All-NBA First Team, Kevin Garnett, is not on the roster. USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said of Garnett, "We never got any positive feedback of his interest. It was more about 'I've been there, I've done that and it's time for someone else to do it.' I had a number of conversations with his agent just to check the temperature of the water, and there was never any positive response. We would have loved to have had him...but obviously, it wasn't in the cards."

You're right - I'm quite biased due to a hatred of Dook basketball, and the prior inclusion of MUCH less-deserving Dookies on prior teams (see Chrissy Laettner on the Dream Team, WTF)

Brand would take that spot, but he's injured, and another Dookie anyway.

Maybe O'Neal, but he's come down a bit.

Okafor would make a pretty nice 4, too :)

I'd also trade Rip Hamilton for Redd, but that's just me :) :)

You're right - I'm quite biased due to a hatred of Dook basketball, and the prior inclusion of MUCH less-deserving Dookies on prior teams (see Chrissy Laettner on the Dream Team, WTF)

Brand would take that spot, but he's injured, and another Dookie anyway.

Maybe O'Neal, but he's come down a bit.

Okafor would make a pretty nice 4, too :)

I'd also trade Rip Hamilton for Redd, but that's just me :) :)

A little Huskie bias there??? ;):D