Tech Chat Recap, 2/11/08

Just because somebody applies for a coupon, and has satellite or cable tv at the time, does not prevent him of thinking about cancelling his subscription for financial reasons and use the TR-40 for OTA only. How about that?

I can apply for a coupon today, wanting to cancel E* tomorrow. What I am gonna answer in the application about subscribing to a service or not??

You can go ahead and answer that you area satellite sub. I did. hey ask that question a nd the one that follows ro determine if you absolutely need a box to get ANY TV. But man of us havea TV provider for some TVs and still need it for others. An th way the regs read youa re entitled to it no matter what.

If you prefer you can call and speak to someone first. But I recommend using the website an being truthful. You have nothing to hide.

You can go ahead and answer that you area satellite sub. I did. hey ask that question a nd the one that follows ro determine if you absolutely need a box to get ANY TV. But man of us havea TV provider for some TVs and still need it for others. An th way the regs read youa re entitled to it no matter what.

If you prefer you can call and speak to someone first. But I recommend using the website an being truthful. You have nothing to hide.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. :)

Guys the TR-50 is NOT a dish network product...its Echostar that is producing it. dishnetwork will NOT get any recurring revenue for it since there is no subscriber fees...so its not that suprising that they would not "know" its capabilities...they would MUCH rather sell you one of thier new shiney dvr's and CHARGE you for the locals instead of getting them FREE ota...

How could he not "know" its capabilities since he is the President of Echostar? And Dan Minnick is the guy in charge of the software on the TR50?

This goes to my question. Who the hell is running Dish?? What direction are these so called leaders trying to take this company? It seems that the subs keep waiting and waiting. If the president of the company cannot even answer a simple question about one of it's products, maybe we now now the answer to all of these questions. There are no leaders at Dish.

This goes to my question. Who the hell is running Dish?? What direction are these so called leaders trying to take this company? It seems that the subs keep waiting and waiting. If the president of the company cannot even answer a simple question about one of it's products, maybe we now now the answer to all of these questions. There are no leaders at Dish.

My guess would be down the toilet but what do i know ? :(

From what i have read here it did not sound like any new HD was discussed. Oh well its uplink Wednesday we can always hope cant we ? Only a few more hours until disappointment would be my guess.

Apparently you guys have never worked for major corporations. CEO's and upper management have much more important things to worry about than every little technical detail that you all scrutinize so much. It's not that he didn't know, it's that he wanted to be 100% sure before he gave an answer. How much would you have bi+ched if he said it did support HD and then it didn't? That would be grounds for a law suit and so these corporate heads have to constantly watch their own backs. I don't blame him one bit for being careful what he said.

Maybe you all could run a Fortune 300 company better? :rolleyes: In fact, raise your hand if you have ever been the CEO of a Fortune 300 company. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Are you even going to buy one of these? If not, why comment about it? Move on.

Apparently you guys have never worked for major corporations. CEO's and upper management have much more important things to worry about than every little technical detail that you all scrutinize so much. It's not that he didn't know, it's that he wanted to be 100% sure before he gave an answer. How much would you have bi+ched if he said it did support HD and then it didn't? That would be grounds for a law suit and so these corporate heads have to constantly watch their own backs. I don't blame him one bit for being careful what he said.

Maybe you all could run a Fortune 300 company better? :rolleyes: In fact, raise your hand if you have ever been the CEO of a Fortune 300 company. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Are you even going to buy one of these? If not, why comment about it? Move on.

lol. Please.

If I were the president of a company and I was going to be on tv (tech chat) and I knew exactly what product was going to be talked about. I do believe I could answer a easy question about the product.

lol. Has Bill Gates ever been put into this situation? Every year. He knows his products inside and out and can talk about them without turning 3 shades of red and fumble around.

ChetK said:
So, with all of the talk regarding external hard drives, was there no mention of the Seagate hard drive sleep issue being fixed?
The EHD shown connected to a 211 is a Seagate. Not that that should be taken to imply anything about the problem being fixed as it wasn't mentioned.

Also not mentioned, and usually a Tech Forum topic, was the launch plans for new satellites (AMC14 to 61.5 set for March 14). The cynic in me thinks that is because that would naturally lead to questions about what the 4 added transponders would be used for.

The EKB version of the February 2008 Tech Forum is also available, though I'm afraid it's not as educational as Rocky's ;) .

Vip211 No Dvr Fee!

If you have paid the enabling fee already, it won't cost anything; as it is a per-account fee. If you haven't paid it yet for a 622/722, it will cost $40.

But its not available yet. This summer, or as we like to say... "soon" :)

As far as I am concerned, it was the best $40 I have spent in a long time. Sitting with 1TB of storage, 750GB used; on two drives...

Yes, I have paid the $40 for my 622, so this is a major step to defeat my options on paying the DVR fee going with the VIP211! Thanks, I can't wait to get a few! I too have many 250 -500 GB usb drives laying around!

So, with all of the talk regarding external hard drives, was there no mention of the Seagate hard drive sleep issue being fixed?

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

I have the same problem with my SimpleTech 500 GB drive that is attached, the only solution to date is to power off, and power up again and wait for the message about the use of the drive on the screen. It is a major pain in the ass!

I have the same problem with my SimpleTech 500 GB drive that is attached, the only solution to date is to power off, and power up again and wait for the message about the use of the drive on the screen. It is a major pain in the ass!

I thought I read somewhere (not sure if in a SatelliteGuys thread or elsewhere) that you can prevent the sleep problem, at least on the Seagate drives, by doing the following:
1) Before hooking it up to your receiver, connect it to your PC.
2) There is an option somewhere to set the sleep time on the disk to "never". Do it.
3) Then go hook it up to your Dish receiver and let the receiver reformat the disk. The disk will never go to sleep.

I have never tried this and wouldn't even know how to do it. I don't know if it's something that you can do only on Windows or if a similar capability exists on Linux or Mac OS.

Unrelated question---Does anybody know if Dish is working on receivers that would support FireWire drives?

I thought I read somewhere (not sure if in a SatelliteGuys thread or elsewhere) that you can prevent the sleep problem, at least on the Seagate drives, by doing the following:
1) Before hooking it up to your receiver, connect it to your PC.
2) There is an option somewhere to set the sleep time on the disk to "never". Do it.
3) Then go hook it up to your Dish receiver and let the receiver reformat the disk. The disk will never go to sleep.

I have never tried this and wouldn't even know how to do it. I don't know if it's something that you can do only on Windows or if a similar capability exists on Linux or Mac OS.

Unrelated question---Does anybody know if Dish is working on receivers that would support FireWire drives?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Too bad I have a bu++load of stuff on the external drive already or I'd do that. Something tells me that I would have to load Seagate's software on there in order to turn that off.

Also, forget about FireWire and let's go straight to eSATA. :hungry:

Tech Chat Recap -- February 11, 2008

ARCHOS Portable Media Players

Now shipping 705 and 605 from Dish retailers, and BB/CC retailers.

Go to Archos.com and download a dishnetwork plugin. Then you can talk to a Dish receiver. Make sure you select US, so you get it in English.

I'm surprised no one else here caught the irony in this. If the language option is available here why can't we select "US" or "English" when we call customer support, so we can understand the CSR and vice versa?

Just axin'....:D

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)