Tech Firms Push to Use TV Airwaves for Internet

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
A coalition of big technology companies wants to bring high-speed Internet access to consumers in a new way: over television airwaves.

Idle TV channels, known as white space, to be used to beam the Internet into homes and offices.

The six partners -- Microsoft, Google, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Intel and Philips -- say they can meet that challenge.

The coalition says, it could have versions in stores by early 2009.

source:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/12/AR2007031201395.html

hahahhahah, think, we all had rabbit ears, then came cable, satellite, interenet, and now, we might be going back to OTA signals for our internet, TV, etc... :D

This could be interesting, wonder if it would offer broadband speed? (at least 1Mbps download and upload). Wonder if you'd have to be 2 feet away from broadcast tower? My luck, out in the boonies (less than a mile from DSL service), they will tell me: I wouldn't qualify, would be to far out, or not available in my area.

This might be the only chance for some out in the boonies if it would have the same range as the television stations. With the wireless / wimax you have to have line of site or close to it but with this you don't. This is what gives people that live out of range of DSL, cable, and wireless internet a chance. If they still cannot get a signal then they can do like they did years ago with the television service, run a wire to an antenna on the hill and pick it up or maybe have a repeater put up for it to be broadcasted over the neighborhood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)