Tech Forum Summary 10-13-03

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
EKB Annex
Technical Forum
Oct 13, 2003

Hosts are Mark Jackson, Sr VP E* Technology Corp and Dave Kummer, VP Engineering.

AGENDA
  • News from CEDIA
  • New products and availability
  • Software updates
  • DISH Interactive
  • SuperDISH
  • Giveaway
  • Q&A[/list:u]
    Phone: 1-888-621-2078. E-mail: Techforum@Dishnetwork.com.
    Technical questions only, please.

News from CEDIA

Custom Electronics Designa and Installation Assn
    Many minutes spent giving very brief looks at new products available to home theater custom installers. Related only in a very general way to Dish products.

New products and availability

• Similar to 301
    • Smart card is built in with a slot added in case they ever do a card swap
    • 2-day EPG in memory
    • Remote has separate TV and Interactive buttons as well as a recover button
    • Available Nov 1, $99 stand-alone, $149 with Dish500[/list:u]The rest of the 301 line will get the EPG upgrade soon.

• 120GB hard drive will record about 100 hours
      • Dish Video on Demand (aka basic DVR features)
      • 9-day EPG
      • Optical audio output
      • 1 hour pause buffer
      • Upgrade offer: $199 shipped and installed, agree to minimum of AT100 or Dish Latino Dos, enroll in Credit Card Auto-Pay (CCAP)[/list:u]There is a DVOD fee dependent on the level of programming.

• Replaces 6000U
        • ATSC tuner built in
        • Local channels on guide
        • DVI output
        • 2 A/V inputs, will up convert to HD
        • Dish Interactive
        • Optical audio output
        • Available Nov 1, $399, $599 with SuperDISH, $1499 with SuperDISH Bundle[/list:u]
          • Showcase product, also physically much larger
          • 250GB HD will record about 180 hours standard or 25 hours HD
          • Record digital OTA
          • PIP will be in SD
          • Terrestrial seamless tuner interface
          • 9-day EPG
          • DVI and component output
          • 1 A/V input
          • Optical audio output
          • Available "for the holidays," $999, $1199 with SuperDISH, $1999 with SuperDISH Bundle[/list:u]
            SuperDISH
            • 3 satellite positions on one dish
            • 2 versions, 105/110/119 or 110/119/121
            • 105 will get HD and new locals
            • 121 will get international
            • 105 and 121 are both FSS, not DBS, slots. Due to them being closer to neighboring satellites and having lower power output, a larger dish is required to receive them.
            • Free with 1 year of AT50, Dish Latino or greater, and SuperDISH programming (locals at 105, international, HD Pak)
            • $199 standalone with install, no commitment. $24.95 shipping waived with CCAP
            • Incompatible models: 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, JVC D-VHS, original DISHPlayer (7100/7200). Will have to find a way to upgrade these models, watch future Charlie Chats. They can coexist in a SuperDISH system but won't get the 105 or 121 programming.[/list:u]HD Monitors
              • Two to choose from, both are 1080i, 16:9, and have a unified TV/Dish remote.
              • 34" tube or 40" RPTV
              • Available only in the Bundle with 811 or 921
              • Stay tuned to future chats for existing customer upgrades.[/list:u]Software updates

All models are upgradeable over the satellite for enhancements and bug fixes. This has always been provided at no extra charge. Many of the oldest receivers were released before new features were conceived and are reaching the limits of their design.

To ensure you have the latest software available for your receiver, put it in standby.

301 is being upgraded to a 2-day EPG.

721 just received a major upgrade. They barely met their promise to have it out by the show - it went out this morning. SuperDISH support, weather, graphic conflict resolution, discrete power off, option to record the entire event if it's in the PVR buffer, switch support for the 2 to 1 switch (DP21?) and DishPro dual. Fixed Caller ID, other bug fixes.

Tip: To make the DVR hard drive last longer, turn the unit off when not in use.

Dish Interactive

Fantasy Sports
                • limited launch on 9/3, available to all OpenTV receivers on 10/1
                • Pro and College Pick-Em Style
                • Ability to play with other viewers
                • Play for prizes: Sporting News magazine or Stats Football Factbook, 2004 NBA League Pass subscription, full HDTV system.
                • $9.99/season (the slide showed per month but they said it's actually season), pro or college[/list:u]Bloomberg Interactive
                  • Limited intro on 10/1, rest of receivers by 10/15
                  • Graphs for markets, look up stocks, track portfolio of 10 stocks
                  • Free[/list:u]Giveaway

Prize: 2 winners of a DVR510
                    Question: How many pixels are on a full 1080i HD screen?

Q&A

Chris: Will the 921 work with just 1 feed?
                    A: Right now must have 2. They haven't developed the software to cover all 1-tuner possibilities.

Clinton: 1. 921 release date? 2. Is recording time or name-based?
                    A: 1. Nov 15, maybe a week or 2 later. 2. All products are time-based. Are looking to upgrade but not ready to announce when.

Ben: Will latest HD receivers support closed captioning or subtitles?
                    A: Both 811 and 921 will.

Ken: Way to make the 501 update the EPG when you want it to?
                    A: Put in standby 5-10 minutes.

Alan: What is the 301 upgrade? What is the cardless technology?
                    A: EPG holds 48 hours, fewer PIP interruptions on the EPG. Smart card is basically moved onto the mainboard.

Larry: Will 921's DishWire work with JVC HD VCR?
                    A: Should work with the 30000 and 40000 but won't be enabled until 1Q04.

Tim: Option on 510 to save/record the entire show if the beginning is in the buffer?
                    A: Yes. 721 just got it. Is in beta on the 508. Hopefully by end of 1Q04.

Ben: Will 921 be able to record 2 OTA channels at once?
                    A: No. Only 1 ATSC tuner, 2 sat tuners. Can record from any 2 of these.

John: Wants to upgrade to SuperDISH but will need DPP44 if additional locals stay on 148.
                    A: DPP44 coming early next year, will support 4 satellites.

Giveaway Winners

Ben Moore (big day for Ben who also got 2 questions on the air) and Robert Butteraugh.

Q&A

Martin: Will 921 have networking ability, to/from PC?
                    A: No, program providers won't allow it. Future possibility if standards are put in place.

Martin: Will 921 accept IR remote?
                    A: Yes, all UHF models since the 5000 also support IR. Discrete on/off being added to all high-end receivers.

Eugene: When will 721 get Dish Home?
                    A: Is in beta, hopefully by Dec 31.

Robby: 921 dimensions?
                    A: 16"W x 14-1/4D x 5-1/4H, 17.6lbs

Kyle: Has AEP, SW64 to 4 receivers, and Sky Angel. Also wants to add 105 for HD.
                    A: DPP44 will be out early next year, Mark mentions January. Can support a dual tuner receiver from 1 output, also legacy receivers without use of the adapter.

Kenny: Richmond locals won't be on Dish500. What offers are there?
                    A: See above.

Don't call the call centers yet on new products, watch the next Charlie Chat.

Next Charlie Chat is Mon Nov 10, 9:00pm Eastern

BobaBird said:
Technical Forum
Oct 13, 2003

Hosts are Mark Jackson, Sr VP E* Technology Corp and Dave Kummer, VP Engineering.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Great recap, Thanks

I don't understand the information about recording/saving a show from the buffer. (Going back to the beginning of the show) The 508 does and always has been able to do that.

I thought it would be Nov 1st, but we they said not to call the CSRs until the next Charlie Chat, I wasn't sure if that Meant SuperDish too or just the receivers.

Tampa8 said:
I don't understand the information about recording/saving a show from the buffer. (Going back to the beginning of the show) The 508 does and always has been able to do that.

The 721 hasn't been able to do it.

Dennis

was anyone else interested by the statement that they are "...looking to upgrade..." to name based recording, and will announce when in the future? Or did I just misunderstand it?

belsokar said:
was anyone else interested by the statement that they are "...looking to upgrade..." to name based recording, and will announce when in the future? Or did I just misunderstand it?

I thought that was interesting as well, can't imagine the length of time it would take for them to create that software upgrade. But good to hear they will announce in the future..

i was always under the impression this would be patent infringement on tivo's technology, maybe they have found a loophole that allows them to do name-based recording using a different method?

Tampa8 said:
Not sure about the always part, but finding the beginning is still a manual process. The caller was asking if this could be done automatically by pressing Record. That would be great as long as they offer options to record "from beginning of show" or "from here." And while they're doing that they may as well fix the other end. I sometimes want to record a segment in the middle of a show but when I hit Stop the rest of the pause buffer is included in the recording. Stop needs a "here" option and they would have to figure out how to retain the pause buffer because at least some of it is still unviewed.

BobaBird said:
Tampa8 said:
Not sure about the always part, but finding the beginning is still a manual process. The caller was asking if this could be done automatically by pressing Record. That would be great as long as they offer options to record "from beginning of show" or "from here." And while they're doing that they may as well fix the other end. I sometimes want to record a segment in the middle of a show but when I hit Stop the rest of the pause buffer is included in the recording. Stop needs a "here" option and they would have to figure out how to retain the pause buffer because at least some of it is still unviewed.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought the 721 could also be rewound and you could start recording like the 508. But if your talking about one button to do that, I wonder how they will do it? How will it determine if the buffer is started at the beginnig of a show or a couple minutes before? And you are correct, what I would really would like is a way to stop the recording from the buffer at the end.

BigFella said:
Will the free Superdish offer extend through the 1Q04 when the DPP44 switch is available?

I am also very interested in the answer to this question. I hope so!!! also extend any 921 offer until you can get the 921/DP44 and superdish. I would not mind an incremental upgrade somehow.. Superdish followed by 921 and DP44. I would be willing to have only certain channels on one set until the DP44 comes.. UGH updates suck!

belsokar said:

I was EXTREMELY interested by that statement . It was the first I've heard directly from Dish that they may be able to go name based and I hope that they do so . I'm so tired of hearing people say how superior Tivo is because of this feature. [/u]

I was interested in that as well... But they could offer name based recording without going "all the way" to what Tivo offers.

I would be happy if they offered just the ability to select a program to record, and if it moves or is a different length, it would automatically adjust. Don't get me wrong, some sort of "season pass" type thing would be great too, but I'm not expecting it.

Since when could the 721 not be rewound back to start recording like the 501/508/510 receviers then.

I also heard them mention on the tech chat about name-based recordings to be added in the future at an unkown time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts