Tech job questions

turbzy

Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I recently had a Dish TV system installed, it..did not go well, it took 3 different techs to get it installed because the first two were idiots. The third one really impressed me and got me to thinking about getting a job with dish, I have a few questions.

a)about how much do installers make a week?
b)are there any policies regarding listening to music while you work
and c)what are the downsides about it. do you enjoy it.

i think that's about it, thanks for your help.

I recently had a Dish TV system installed, it..did not go well, it took 3 different techs to get it installed because the first two were idiots. The third one really impressed me and got me to thinking about getting a job with dish, I have a few questions.

a)about how much do installers make a week?
b)are there any policies regarding listening to music while you work
and c)what are the downsides about it. do you enjoy it.

i think that's about it, thanks for your help.

It all depends on what you are use to making... IMO we are quite underpaid.

You work in all conditions... 115 degrees... 150 in the attic. Raining? Too bad.

If you work for Dish Network directly (which was probably the case with the guys at your house since several guys came), you don't get holidays off.... I'm talking even Christmas. You get 5 paid days off a year. That is it.

The benefits are a joke and mathematically do not make sense to pay for.

You are judged by a number system, which does not account for the reality of the job. They don't care about your opinions. Hit your numbers or get the hell out.

Your typical work day will be at least 12 hours. More than that is not uncommon. The companies expectations of quality and quantity have gotten way out of hand and you are forced to play games to hit your numbers to get chances at promotions. Your health WILL suffer from the hours and workload. If you screw up, the company will not support you. Human Resources does absolutely nothing for the employee. It will take you less than a month to figure that out.

The good side? Well... I do enjoy meeting new people every day... and not being supervised most of the time..... and not being in an office.

Honestly, if I hadn't already spent so much time and effort into getting to the pay level I am out now, I would have been long gone.

If you're 18 years old and not planning on going to college, you might do OK in this job. But don't kid yourself into thinking this will be a career.

I've heard being a contractor or working for a retailer is better.... but Dish continues to implement new policies to make it harder and harder for these guys to turn a profit.

I would not recommend this line of work to anyone, to be completely honest.

Being a Sub I like my the plus side of the job. No supervisor, flexible meet lots of interesting people. However at this time I would not recommend pursuing this as a career. The first techs to your house typical of the level of competence that you find in the industry do day. Ask your self why, the answer is Low compensation, knowledgeable tech cost money to keep. Dish is not wiling to spend that kind of money. Short term Maybe, Career, not at this time.

What tastim and mike said. Pay is awful for the hours, and materials/fuel/etc we have to buy. No raises since gas has gone up 100%, and I drive 150 miles/day. It's economics in action. They've squeezed and squeezed over the years, until now our colleagues are mostly idiots or kids. I get multiple recalls from DNS and 'Don'sSores' every week, and angry customers from their 'work'. It's the end result of the free market in action.

But true, lots of freedom in the job. However I never dare check the time, as it only freaks me out how late I always am. I refuse to work in a panic. And just one slip on one $40 job, and you are disabled for life or killed. Medical insurance? Nah, we can't afford no medical insurance.

It is only a temporary job for me, until I can get my sustainable building company going.

Have a nice day!! :D

Last edited:
My install techs didn't even speak english! Don't get me wrong, but how about learning the language of the country? Kind of scared me because four times I had them out to my house, the people were from the middle east!

Depends on your goals. It's a fun job, I enjoyed it... good comradere with the guys I worked with... I'd still like to install on weekends but that'll never happen... you can make money working in-house, you will work long hours for it. However it's a job not a career, no retirement things like that.

Depends on your goals. It's a fun job, I enjoyed it... good comradere with the guys I worked with... I'd still like to install on weekends but that'll never happen... you can make money working in-house, you will work long hours for it. However it's a job not a career, no retirement things like that.
Since when was matching 401K not a retirement plan?

Not a real retirement. To me a 401k is supplemental to your retirement, extra cash. I am no expert just the way I understand it. I highly doubt someone could make it 30 years at DNS without getting fired for some stupid reason.

Most companies don't have pension plans any longer. I assume that is what you mean by "real retirement".

Most companies don't have pension plans any longer. I assume that is what you mean by "real retirement".

No pension plan... and if you don't weasel yourself into middle-management, most won't make it past 3 years... the few that do will have capped their income potential by then and will have a few more years left in them at most before they hurt themself, get fired over political BS or just flat out run out of sanity.

This is not a fun job and oftenly you work along. I did dish two months and quit right away, sometime, you will install the dish at the 28' top of the box house, I means BOX house, thats what I did one time after rain and I was scare like hell, work along no one holding the ladder and it was windy, and the roof were slipperly and thats the only place you can put the dish.

This is not a fun job and oftenly you work along. I did dish two months and quit right away, sometime, you will install the dish at the 28' top of the box house, I means BOX house, thats what I did one time after rain and I was scare like hell, work along no one holding the ladder and it was windy, and the roof were slipperly and thats the only place you can put the dish.

!sadroll

The job does have good points but overall just plain sucks... it's not uncommon that I get scheduled 4 AM jobs with about 250 miles drive time...just makes for a really bad day..or the 4 pm day when nobody is available early.

!sadroll

The job does have good points but overall just plain sucks... it's not uncommon that I get scheduled 4 AM jobs with about 250 miles drive time...just makes for a really bad day..or the 4 pm day when nobody is available early.

For those that haven't figured it out.... he doesn't mean 4am as in time.... 4 am as in... 4 morning appointments :p

Although, if it were legal and Dish could get enough customers to agree to a 4am appointment, I guarantee you they would make us do it.

I did dish two months and quit right away, sometime, you will install the dish at the 28' top of the box house, I means BOX house, thats what I did one time after rain and I was scare like hell, work along no one holding the ladder and it was windy, and the roof were slipperly and thats the only place you can put the dish.

That to me is a job that doesn't go in. No dish should be mounted that high. It's nuts to risk serious injury or death. Not all of us have the skill of an Alain Robert (spiderman).