Technical Moron Here...

pitt9496

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I may be in the wrong thread, and I apologize in advance for that, but I have a question about "over the air" HD channels.

I have Dish Network, a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD and live in Erie PA, where there are no local HD channels available. Apparently the local Fox channel is now broadcasting in HD over the air.

What do I need to do in order to get that signal?

Thanks in advance for any help...

I may be in the wrong thread, and I apologize in advance for that, but I have a question about "over the air" HD channels.

I have Dish Network, a Sharp Aquos 42" LCD and live in Erie PA, where there are no local HD channels available. Apparently the local Fox channel is now broadcasting in HD over the air.

all you need is somekind of antenna, if you are close to the tower rabbit ears might work. plug antenna into back of dish reciever where it says ota antenna (not satellite input), once your antenna is hooked up get into the menu for locals and scan for any signals coming in on your antenna. or before doing all this just hook antenna up to your Aquos and scan for channels.

Go to antennaweb.org and enter your address. It will give you the stations you can receive, distance from the antennas and more info so we can help you with selecting a good antenna. This thread should be in the HD Over the Air OTA Forum.

Did you use the RCA one to try and get the HD channel or analogues.

Reason is analogues stilll usually look like crap with rabbit ears, but HD will come in easy. You either pick it up or you don't.

Go to antennaweb.org and enter your address. It will give you the stations you can receive, distance from the antennas and more info so we can help you with selecting a good antenna. This thread should be in the HD Over the Air OTA Forum.

thanks for the link. i went there and it said i was 5.1 miles from the tower (for the station i'm trying to receive.)

sorry about the thread placement, is there a way i can move it?

thanks for the link. i went there and it said i was 5.1 miles from the tower (for the station i'm trying to receive.)

sorry about the thread placement, is there a way i can move it?

No problem, only a Mod can move it. At that distance you should be good with a rabbit ears antenna. Just connect it to your TV or receiver and run the locals channels scan. What Dish Network receiver do you have? I prefer to connect it to the receiver since I can get the channels listed in the guide.

No problem, only a Mod can move it. At that distance you should be good with a rabbit ears antenna. Just connect it to your TV or receiver and run the locals channels scan. What Dish Network receiver do you have? I prefer to connect it to the receiver since I can get the channels listed in the guide.

i have the 722.

rabbit ears will really do the trick? wow!

i have the 722.

rabbit ears will really do the trick? wow!

They should. Just make sure that the antenna you pick up is the ciorrect one for the channel(s) yyou are trying to receive. For example, you cannot use a UHF antenna to pick up a VHF broadcast (or visa versa) unless your antenna is a combination UHF/VHF antenna. Go to someplace that has a good return policy, just in case. Try an antenna distributer in your area, these guys usually know what antenna will would best for you. Good luck.

If you have any HD channels below 7 to 9 you may need a full Uhf VHF antenna unless you are only a few miles away. If you have only UHF stations in HD, at least for now, the a $20 or less UHF Yagi will serve you well up to 30 or 40 miles and looks like a toy but is much better than rabbit ears. If you can get it higher it will help and less walls helps too--some use the attic. You are assured a good signal if you can see the towers, as I can at 49 mile using binoculars.
-Ken

thats awsome that you can see the tower 49 miles away. Thats some flat ground. I can't see past the large cliffs 2 blocks south of me....

If your Sharp is a HD set and has a jack for "antenna" all you have to do is get a decent indoor/outdoor ant. to receive the signal. If you live within about 20 miles from the Fox ch. I would think you might only need a decent set of rabbit ears. Is Fox in UHF or VHF? I have a roof ant. left over from the C-Band days & we get 5 locals in HD. Two are VHF & 3 are UHF. Hope this helps. :)

would it be best if i didn't even plug it in?

(doesn't the power just go to the amplifier? am i really typing this?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)