Technical questions for DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've always wanted a feature like that, especially ones announcing a show that's not coming up for weeks or longer that looks interesting. You have to resort to that "seek" timer....
TiVo has had that for YEARS. Yes, a very good feature Dish could do, if they don't get sued by TiVo :)

I wonder if they will offer the same package on Dish through the satellite. Probably not.
All the contracts with the channels for the SlingTV are for the STREAMING rights for the service. SlingTV is a different beast and service not having anything to do with the sat service, although Dish can use its leverage to get STREAMING rights when it is also negotiating is "retransmission rights" via its DBS Dish service. SlingTV is NOT designed for the current pay-TV subscribers to cable or sat. It is for the YOUNG ones who have NEVER and WILL NEVER pay for TV via cable or sat, but have been demanding a low cost on-line service that offers only a FEW of the most desired and recognizable channels such as ESPN, CNN, Cartoon Network, etc.

I don't think they would actually send a "signal" to the Joey. My guess is it is probably sending the encrypted MPEG4 data. MoCA is IP-based, so it is just packets. The Joey receives the data, decrypts it, and renders the video just like streaming from netflix or youtube.. It just happens locally within your home. In the case of 4K, it would be just higher bandwidth than 1080i or 720p. Of course I could be wrong.
RIght, but the files would still be larger requiring MORE bandwidth on MOCA, and even Netflix and Amazon have even higher minimum bandwidth requirements for its 1080P (Netflix's Super HD?) and, at least for Netflix, for it's 4K streams. This could be why Dish had seem to reserve a fair amount of bandwidth on the MOCA with the current Hoppers and Joeys.

The reason Vivek had given as to why a SuperJoey would ONLY be installed and activated on ONE Hopper systems and NOT TWO Hopper installs was because of the lack of MOCA bandwidth. However, we all knew there seemed to be enough MOCA on the current 2 Hopper systems to support a SuperJoey. We had been speculating, and Scott seemed to agree, that the leftover MOCA bandwidth was for some "future" feature, and 4K would seem to be what the reserved MOCA bandwidth was waiting for.

In case you missed it, they settled and Dish has access (license) to a whole bunch of Tivo technology
I did not miss anything. In fact, it is a LIFETIME license, just like the TV Guide/Gemstar agreement. The smile face emoticon at the end of the "being sued" comment was intended as ironic humor. Yes, and TiVo got "Dish" Echostar tech from the deal, too.

This is exactly why Dish doesn't want to use PSIP data for their receivers, especially for DVRs. PSIP data is inconsistent and unreliable. Directv doesn't use it, nor does TiVo...
Also, the Tribune data is a far more rich allowing for advanced search features that are the core of TiVo and even more important than ever for both Dish and DirecTV and cable.

Technical enough? Can't tell.

HBO Go will be going online as its own service in '15. Is there any telling if SlingTV may be involved with grabbing HBO Go and other a la carte premium offerings in the future?
IMHO, and others, feel that HBO Go is gonna cost about the same as the current HBO subscription via cable and sat. It seems to me that it could make sense for HBO to offer its GO to any on-line MVPD who wants to "offer" it, but, of course, the monthly fee would be determined by HBO and the money could go to HBO directly or at least provide a portal to HBO Go service. That would be the most attractive and cost effective way to do it: a portal to HBO Go and let HBO handle the cost of servers, etc.

From what I read elsewhere HBO Go will run for $15.00 a month which is $4.00 less than DISH is selling it for today. Which makes me wonder if the extra $4.00 is something DISH is charging for them ,not for HBO. Otherwise how can HBO afford to undersell their service on the streaming version?

From what I read elsewhere HBO Go will run for $15.00 a month which is $4.00 less than DISH is selling it for today. Which makes me wonder if the extra $4.00 is something DISH is charging for them ,not for HBO. Otherwise how can HBO afford to undersell their service on the streaming version?
Probably because people talk cutting the cord, but never do.

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)