Technical stuff on Local reception using the Voom receiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geekygizmo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Sean got me thinking about this on another thread about this so here it is.

The "Factory Reset" is needed because as of now ('firmware 5.08') the voom receiver "locks out" locals that are not currently being received during setup. By lock-out I mean if the local is in the channel map and not being received at (factory reset/setup) then you will only see the black screen with the "I can't receive" message on the channel even when it is broadcasting later in the day.

I know this because I have a channel that only goes live during prime-time, and I am also in a deep-deep fringe area where some channels come and go depending on how the weather feels. Soooooo. If I factory reset during bad weather time I will actually loose locals that I previously did get! The best time to factory reset is when conditions are good and you know all locals (you get) are receivable.

And if the Local you want to get does not show in your guide (and/or on the Voom online program guide under your zip) you are dead in the water.

The ironery here is if you don't already have another (other then voom) receiver up and going how can you tell if you should get it in the first place???

GG

Exactly!

Mine is still wrong.

fingers crossed by super bowl time.

GG

This means that the factory reset will not help you since VOOM has not added your mapping in their side.

I am compiling everybody that is having problems and follow through with Wilt. The thread is at

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4711

I will merge your thread with this one if you do not mind. If you want me to add you to the list, PM the following information.

your name, address, with zipcode, and phone number. I will add what type of problems you are having - OTA mapping.

I will not link your real name to the one you are using on this board.

Yes, I just saw you create that thread, I do still have a problem on Voom's end but just want to also let people in my similar situation (in deep fringe area or intermittent local reception) that factory reset may actually cause some channels not to work if you can't receive them during the procedure. For this reason I don't think it fits into the other thread.

GG

OTA problems

geekygizmo said:
Sean got me thinking about this on another thread about this so here it is.

The "Factory Reset" is needed because as of now ('firmware 5.08') the voom receiver "locks out" locals that are not currently being received during setup. By lock-out I mean if the local is in the channel map and not being received at (factory reset/setup) then you will only see the black screen with the "I can't receive" message on the channel even when it is broadcasting later in the day.

I know this because I have a channel that only goes live during prime-time, and I am also in a deep-deep fringe area where some channels come and go depending on how the weather feels. Soooooo. If I factory reset during bad weather time I will actually loose locals that I previously did get! The best time to factory reset is when conditions are good and you know all locals (you get) are receivable.

And if the Local you want to get does not show in your guide (and/or on the Voom online program guide under your zip) you are dead in the water.

The ironery here is if you don't already have another (other then voom) receiver up and going how can you tell if you should get it in the first place???

GG
undefinedundefined

Thank you ........... I sent Emails to Wilt, I called Voom and they could not help. I think you are right, the only channel that I am getting is the same one that I got the day I got Voom, eventhough now I am using an antenna that gives me a great signal. When I use my Hughes receiver I can get all the OTA channels, when I use the same antenna and the same cable with the Motorola ........ only one. Thanks again, I was ready to cancel Voom, I will provably keep it now.

Did a "Factory Reset" after fixing your signal help you?

GG

jason22 said:
undefinedundefined

Thank you ........... I sent Emails to Wilt, I called Voom and they could not help. I think you are right, the only channel that I am getting is the same one that I got the day I got Voom, eventhough now I am using an antenna that gives me a great signal. When I use my Hughes receiver I can get all the OTA channels, when I use the same antenna and the same cable with the Motorola ........ only one. Thanks again, I was ready to cancel Voom, I will provably keep it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)