Tegna Dispute - how much longer?!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
But speaking of sports, I wonder when all the major sports are done that there being less leverage for Tegna that possibly more likely a deal might happen? Or when Tegna gets sold? Or both? Possibly?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Our locally owned CBS station in Ft. Myers, FL was out for over a year several years ago, settled and came back on for a while, went out again over another dispute last spring and still isn't back on.

Dish sells locals separately, so it doesn't affect those that opt out of locals, so why not agree to some contract and just raise the prices for locals, or locals that are owned by Tegna? Get the stations back to the viewers and stop this. Charlie has always played Hardball, and I wonder when these disputes go on and on, how many subs he loses? Add to that Tegna is not willing to make a deal either, so their stations are off Dish. But I have no idea if it affects their bottomline that much as they still have cable & Direct. The number of subs that have a Tegna station may not be enough to have any real effect on them.

Dish sells locals separately, so it doesn't affect those that opt out of locals, so why not agree to some contract and just raise the prices for locals, or locals that are owned by Tegna? Get the stations back to the viewers and stop this. Charlie has always played Hardball, and I wonder when these disputes go on and on, how many subs he loses? Add to that Tegna is not willing to make a deal either, so their stations are off Dish. But I have no idea if it affects their bottomline that much as they still have cable & Direct. The number of subs that have a Tegna station may not be enough to have any real effect on them.
The stations are losing both ad revenue and retransmission fees. That certainly has to put a dent in the bottom line.

GOOD!

I believe locals are of diminishing value. Certainly, once RSNs came to be of little value to dish, the writing should have been seen on the wall.
If the value of "Locals" are diminishing, then viewers will move more to OTA. The number viewers via OTA seems to be increasing with cord cutting, so in 5-10 years, maybe the only way to get locals will be OTA. If that is the case, TV stations sure will be losing a lot revenue. But of course there can be transmission fees with OTA streaming....

Dish had a dispute with Fisher (KATU-Portland/KOMO Seattle) from Dec 2008 to June 2009. That one went on and on.
Please, don't remind me. That seemed like an eternity, but at least my channel 2 worked better OTA than my tegna channel 8..

I was checking Tegna stations here in Florida to see what the outage picture looked like for our next couple of moves if Dish and Tegna don't get together on an a deal. We're currently in the Orlando DMA with no outages, but our next two moves would put us in the Tampa and Ft Meyers DMA's where our two most watched watched locals, CBS and NBC, are both out. I think one outage may not be Tegna, but it's out anyway. It looks like the Orlando spot beam will cover both moves on either arc, although one location near Everglades City could be marginal if I need the eastern arc. That one is also likely to be marginal OTA, so we'll see how it works out. To top it off, the campground there has marginal cell service, so streaming may be an issue as well. Then again, maybe they'll all settle by then... :)

I was checking Tegna stations here in Florida to see what the outage picture looked like for our next couple of moves if Dish and Tegna don't get together on an a deal. We're currently in the Orlando DMA with no outages, but our next two moves would put us in the Tampa and Ft Meyers DMA's where our two most watched watched locals, CBS and NBC, are both out. I think one outage may not be Tegna, but it's out anyway. It looks like the Orlando spot beam will cover both moves on either arc, although one location near Everglades City could be marginal if I need the eastern arc. That one is also likely to be marginal OTA, so we'll see how it works out. To top it off, the campground there has marginal cell service, so streaming may be an issue as well. Then again, maybe they'll all settle by then... :)
So, you may have to actually get out and enjoy that great Florida climate instead of staying in and watching the boob tube. Bummer. :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Status
Please reply by conversation.