Tele-Satellite's Zhongwen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Othea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
This month's Tele-Satellite has a lead title "Made in Zhongwen." I haven't read the article yet, but I presume that they meant to write "Made in Zhongguo."
Zhongwen = Chinese (language)
Zhongguo = China

This month's Tele-Satellite has a lead title "Made in Zhongwen." I haven't read the article yet, but I presume that they meant to write "Made in Zhongguo."
Zhongwen = Chinese (language)
Zhongguo = China

Othea,

That is interesting. Do you suppose that there is somewhat of a "dialog" barrier and difference here? Or did they simply mispell it? My ancestors, some of them, are of Germanic descent and there are many differences in not only pronunciations but even in spelling and whole worlds (differences between low and high German). China and the orient in general has many unique dialects and differences in this regard. What they state in TELE-Satellite magazine could be accurate for the Chinese province that they were speaking to or referencing the information from.

It is interesting and curious, none-the-less.

RADAR

Radar, I'm not sure how to respond. Chinese characters are basically words rather than letters, so the idea of "misspelling" is not quite the same as in Western languages. The mistake is more along the lines of taking an "apple" for an "orange." As for "Zhongwen" replacing "Zhongguo" in some Chinese dialect, I'll concede that point if someone can identify the province in question. Otherwise, I'll simply have to consider this a linguistic error.

In any case, though, the average reader will immediately understand the intended significance of the visual image and interpret it appropriately. It just has the potential of leaving a few billion humans scratching their heads.

"Made in English."

Ha Ha, Yes, I am scratching my head and I am not even sure why. :)

I should re-up my subscription to TELE-Satellite, but I am not sure that I want to do this just yet. Too many advertisements (promotions) that I cannot resist. They make me want to spend my money like a kid in a candy store. I think that you understand what I mean.

I just love those toys and I want everyone of them!

RADAR

Othea

Some times such title really means "Made in a particular way", i.e. similar to often found bad translations. Though it would be a stretch to assume without reading the article. :) On top, large number of made in CN products are of very good quality, as many of them are designed elsewhere and manufactured by well equipped and staffed joint ventures.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts