Temporarily Add extra 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shaudods

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2008
georgia
I am having a big March Madness party this weekend to watch all the games with some friends. Now that the games are spread out over CBS and the Turner stations, there will be as many as 4 games on at the same time. I currently just have 1 922, so I only have 2 tuners and OTA.

My father currently has a 722 at his house that is in an upstairs room that he rarely uses. My question is, can i take that 722 from his house, bring it over and hook it up in my house, do a check switch and use it in my house just for this weekend? I didnt know how that worked as far as account stuff goes and so forth...

Could you do that? Mostlikely - and it should work fine, but here is the thing, Dish is very against moving receivers out of the house that it paying for it - even though, it would be fine if it as at your Fathers house, tuned into the same thing.

It's like moving your receiver to a cabin for the weekend - nobody will be home, but somehow it's still against the TOS.

But, will it work ? Sure. Will Dish know? Most likely not.

Keep in mind that you will require a second coax from the dish to the receiver for it to work.... Every receiver needs its own feed.

The receiver will still be authorized on your father's account with your father's programming package. If that is OK, then I agree with CJPC. Just do a "check switch" every time you plug the receiver into a different antenna system, and it will work.

If your father's programming package does not include the channels you need, then (if he owns his receiver) you could call up Dish and have it transferred to your account, just as if he had sold it to you. If it's leased, then you won't be able to transfer the receiver to your account at all.

@TheKrell-
He has the same programming package I do (in fact he may have the one above me, so that should be fine). And I dont want to permanently have the box in my house.. I just want it for this weekend for the games.

@CJPC-
What you said is what i figured... I know technically I am not supposed to do this because Dish wants 1 account for every house... but as you said, i figured it should work and I figure since i only want to do it this one time for one weekend, it shouldnt be a big deal.

@Bobby-
Will I need a physical coax coming straight from the LNB on the dish, or can i not just split the coax that is already coming off of the dish before it gets to my 922? Then off the splitter, run one to my 922 and the other to the 722? I know my dad has 4 or 5 boxes in his house, and I am pretty sure there isnt 5 coax cables running from the dish on the roof...

No, you cannot split the dish antenna lead! A cable has to come from the switch (including the integrated LNB/switches such as those in the 1000.n antenna) independently for each receiver. If your father has 5 receivers, but doesn't have 5 cables coming from his roof, then he has an external switch somewhere. (It would still take 3 cables from the roof.)

Not that you asked, but I think every game is streaming this year as well. From what I remember last year, the PQ was pretty good.

If your tech or who ever installed your system did it properly, there is either a ground block or switch installed. You should be able to take a line straight from the ground block or switch and take that to the rcvr. No you can not split the main feed. BTW, you will also need the separator, which is most likely on the 722.

Dish -> ground block -> rcvr.

Worst case, yes. you can go straight from the LNB to the rcvr.

Ok that makes more sense... I was over at my fathers house yesterday and there is definitely just one line coming from the LNB... that line runs to his basement where there is one of these ground blocks or switches. The installer did that i guess because the house was prewired for cable with coax, and all the coax throughout the house goes to the basement. Made it much easier on him to distribute... As for my setup, I will have to look, but i doubt i have a switch because I have always just had a one box system.

@chrisn... good idea... Last year I was out in Vegas for this weekend so I obviously wasnt needing stream... good to know the PQ was good last year though... that is probably my easiest option! Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)