222 rcvr

dconger74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Kentucky
I have 4 tv's in my house. I have 3 HD tvs and 1 standard tv. I told the tech that I wanted two 211's and one 222 rcvrs. He told me that I only needed two 222's and that would give me HD on my 3 tv's and SD to my standard tv. Is this correct? It doesn't sound right to me. I want the 211's because I have a couple of hard drives that I am going to plug into them to use them as DVRs. Can someone enlighten me on this please!

Two 211's and 1 222 would get you 3 of your TV's in HD, and the last in SD. If you go with two 222's there are only 2 HD feeds, and 2 sd feeds (unless you mirror one of the TV's). Keep in mind the 222's do not support EHD, so you would definitely want to go with the 211's if that's what you're looking to do. So the two 211's and one 222 is the way you would want to go.

Two 211's and 1 222 would get you 3 of your TV's in HD, and the last in SD. If you go with two 222's there are only 2 HD feeds, and 2 sd feeds (unless you mirror one of the TV's). Keep in mind the 222's do not support EHD, so you would definitely want to go with the 211's if that's what you're looking to do. So the two 211's and one 222 is the way you would want to go.

And the tech's recommendation to the OP is exactly why a lot of people get really pissed at Dish. We have people coming on this forum frequently who have made it clear to the tech or local retailers or even Dish CSR's at to what they want, and they are given rotten advice that leaves them steamed and disappointed and trapped. This is a HUGE problem. I hear from people thruogh my friends and family about how the new sub wants a certain capability and are told a solution (often the cheaper for Dish or the retailer) is all they need and are disappointed and a bit furious. I know of 3 different households who immediately canceled Dish day one after the commitment because they felt Dish was inferior because they could not provide them withe the experience they had asked for (often set-ups like the OP) and went back to cable.

Please pass this along to the those (Charlie himself) at the top as this is how Dish shoots themselves in the foot as people put up with the inconvenience of sharing a 2 tuner DVR in dual mode (really 2 SINGLE tuner DVR experience) unable to record one channel while watching another after having been led to believe that such a set-up allow for 2 tuners for exclusive use in one room for a "2 TV" install. And please, it is not all misunderstanding (partly, yes), but a lot of disingenuous info from sales and even CSR's who may be clueless.

This post is meant to drive home the point of how serious a problem this is, and even after I explain to them how they can get what they want for a nominal price more, they refuse to ever get Dish for as long as they live. They really HATE the company, and I can't completely blame them. I am certain that subscriber losses could be reduced significantly if Dish addresses this issue to the customers satisfaction by starting off on the right foot with the proper install (meaning required boxes) for what the experience the subscriber wants. Installs such as that advised by the OP's tech happen far too often. Thank you for passing this along.

Last edited: