Tempted to switchd to Uverse?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I just got an add from Uverse. I can get 300 channels, 18 mb internet, land line phone for $109 per month. $10 extra for HD. I pay 60 for Cox internet(with 24MB), $73 to Dish for Dish America(includes fees and taxes), and $32 per month for cell phone with Straighttalk,but could add a cell for 31 per month. These 300 channels include Chiller, Disney HD and many more that Dish either does not carry or is not in my package. That price is for two years with a one year contract. All free installation. My problem is Dish 722K with eHD has lots movies that I have not watched yet. Plus, I don't think that I can add a EHD to Uverse. I have been with Dish since the last Century, but money is money. Any pluses or minuses from you guys, except don't let the door hit me in the *ss.

Their DVR's are not nearly as good as Dish DVR's. Plus, they have separate channel numbers for the HD versions of channels. (They add a 1 to the beginning of the regular channel.) Pretty stupid and annoying. As "Lite" as Dish HD PQ might be, I found Uverse PQ to be lower with more smearing and motion artifacts.

OTOH, if you're gonna save a lot of money, and if money is tight for you, you should consider it. My friend has been with Uverse for some time, and loves it, even though I quit after a short time. (No contract.)

Is that the final bill or are there fees and taxes to go along with it? $109 sounds rather cheap for all of that.

U-verse Internet is good but their TV is awful. Poor HD quality and watching TV slows down your Internet. No comparison with Dish.

I would have to agree with some of the statements of PQ my parents have uverse, HD picture is not very good.

+1 on the PQ being fairly low. Honestly it's less quality than Netflix HD IMO. Internet is good. The STB would be better if it was faster. I liked the UI but it was slow. It was nice to be able to use an Xbox 360 as a STB but it took forever to load the software. Basically like doing a cold reboot on a STB every time. Internet was good. Before canceling dish and ask if you could drop the tv without penalty that way you can test it before hand.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Man I wish We had uverse in Puerto Rico... $89 a month with dish + $44 for 3MB/1mb DSL & landline. I just wish I could get better internet service for the money.

Man I wish We had uverse in Puerto Rico... $89 a month with dish + $44 for 3MB/1mb DSL & landline. I just wish I could get better internet service for the money.

If you could get UVerse on PR, it'd be more than $109 a month!

I agree with the sentiments here. PQ is generally better with Dish. Hardware/Software is not as good in most aspects, even though there are some nice features. When I tried it I knew I was really only interested in data, but there were no commitments and install was waived if you got TV+Internet. Between the promos and the "please keep TV" offers when I called to cancel the TV, I made money for the first few months.

Dish used to partner with AT&T for Internet and phone but they don't anymore. Comcast is already partnered with Verizon wireless. Dish could partner with t-mobile or sprint.

Thanks for all the comments. I just found out that my neighbor has UVerse. I am going to go over there and play with his remote, so I can check out the tv part of the deal.

If you are used to Dish with multiple tuners, so that you can record nore than 1 show at a time, check if Uverse's dvr can do that. I have a TWC dvr in addition to my 2 HWS's. TWC made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $7/month more than I was paying for RR plus super basic cable for 2 years with dvr and cable box. AFAIK, I can only record 1 show at a time. As others have said. HD channels and SD channels have different numbers. Also, you may be limited to watching recorded programs to a single tv. How many of those 300 channels at the SD/HD duplicates. How many of them will you actually watch.

I have never had Uverse but my brother has it and I've used it while staying at his place. It's probably because I'm so use to Dish but I really didn't like it. I hated the remote, the DVR wasn't that great and I thought the picture quality was terrible. Way too many artifacts on a high def show. Like mentioned before, the channel layout is odd, HD and SD channels are completely different numbers.

Have you looked to see what the regular price will be after all the credits. Those bundles have a tendency to double in price once the credits are gone.

I just got an add from Uverse. I can get 300 channels, 18 mb internet, land line phone for $109 per month. $10 extra for HD. I pay 60 for Cox internet(with 24MB), $73 to Dish for Dish America(includes fees and taxes), and $32 per month for cell phone with Straighttalk,but could add a cell for 31 per month. These 300 channels include Chiller, Disney HD and many more that Dish either does not carry or is not in my package. That price is for two years with a one year contract. All free installation. My problem is Dish 722K with eHD has lots movies that I have not watched yet. Plus, I don't think that I can add a EHD to Uverse. I have been with Dish since the last Century, but money is money. Any pluses or minuses from you guys, except don't let the door hit me in the *ss.

Ok
I have both dish and Uverse.
People are correct in saying the dish
Equipment is better. However depending
Where you live, your Uverse picture might vary.

I must say Uverse has come a long way.
I have the bundle. Internet is lightening fast.
Phone service good and tv excellent.
I would put Uverse HD on par with dish a notch
Below direct.
Tons of HD channels and great video on demand.
Plus they always work with you on price.
Once promo runs out, they will work with you.

My take is, try it. 300 buck promo is nice.
I know the contract is a year but what the heck.
I say try it.

You can always come back to dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)