Terk TV44 - Wing Dish Installation

As for shoving the outdoor antenna indoors, I thought about cramming one of those things in my room, but here is the problem: my couches are not against any walls. Things are kinda free floating. As you can see in my carefully crafted diagram, the situation is not conducive for hiding a giant set of dead fish bones. Further more, I would be banished from the bedroom for putting another piece of electronic equipment in the room; especially something that looks like a piece of scrap metal...

As for the diagram, today is a slow day at work...

Living%20Room.JPG

Last edited:
As for shoving the outdoor antenna indoors, I thought about cramming one of those things in my room, but here is the problem: my couches are not against any walls. Things are kinda free floating. As you can see in my carefully crafted diagram, the situation is not conducive for hiding a giant set of dead fish bones. Further more, I would be banished from the bedroom for putting another piece of electronic equipment in the room; especially something that looks like a piece of scrap metal...

As for the diagram, today is a slow day at work...

Living%20Room.JPG

Looking at your TVFool listing since everything is 18+ miles I can see why an indoor does not work for you. Indoors work great for the folks that are about half that distance or less.

Well I wanted the big four plus CW (don't get that in hd from dish). But if that isn't possible, I would take NBC, ABC and CW.

try a winegard squareshooter or a winegard sensar (batwing)
I like the size/look of the square shooter, but it says it is UHF only. The sensar, while not looking like dead fish bones, I suppose is an improvement, but it looks like dead batwing bones... Again, I don't care that much about the look of the antenna, but how it affects my balcony.

MOVE to another house or apartment that gets better reception.
Not until my lease is up next January!

I have been very busy at work the last couple of days, but tonight, I am going to get bust with some antennas!

That doesn't sound quite right... Either way, I will get OTA locals...

The antennas like the Antennas Direct DB2 and Channel Master 4220 are pretty good about picking up signal from lots of directions, but I don't know if you'll have multipath problems. They're not that expensive, either, especially if you make one from coat hangers after watching a video on YouTube. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw&feature=related"]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

Last edited:
Those look like UHF only, and from what I understand, the almighty Digi says no to that for me.

Some of the UHF only antennas also do a little bit of VHF. Usually the amplified ones don't though. For instance I have a CM4228 up on the backside of the house. Even worked great in the attic but I wanted a few more stations, and actually like the look of the antenna outside...good conversation piece for people that ask about it. It picks up RF 9 and 13 in my area with no issues.

Alright, that stupid RCA thing failed. So far, the Terk has performed the best for me, and that isn't saying much. Should I try giving the Terk a power supply boost? Would that make any difference? If everything is one one coax, will I blow up the lnb if I try throwing a power supply into the mix?

I think that you need to find an antenna that limits multi pathing to a bare minimum. Since you are living in a apartment building surrounded by other buildings , this would be the best bet for receiving ota. Do a search for antennas that have no multi-pathing and see what pops up.

I assume by your comments that your dishes are on your balcony.

Is there room for a free standing antenna out there also?

You need a channel 7-52 antenna.

I recommend the Winegard HD7694P.

Hope you have room for it on the balcony, it is 6 ft long and the longest elements (ch 7) are about 3 ft tip to tip. Should run you about $60 plus a tripod and pole etc, figure $100 before you're done.

There are several Winegard distributors less than 10 miles from your apt bldg.

I also need channels under seven; I think my fox and nbc or something are under that channel. And I definitely don't have room for a six foot behemoth. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I also need channels under seven; I think my fox and nbc or something are under that channel. And I definitely don't have room for a six foot behemoth. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Not really. After the transition, channels 8 and 11 are the only VHF channels that you need to pick up; everybody else is moving into UHF space (9 will be on 52, all of the low power stations are moving up-band, too). Most of the more advanced UHF antennas we have mentioned pick up 7-13 just fine. If you can point the antenna South-by-South West, you should have a good signal from channel 8. Won't help with channel 11, though. Also remember that antennas need to sort of "breathe," it needs to have 4' of clearance from walls, floors, ceilings, and metal-framed windows to be it's most effective.

Have you asked the building super if there's an antenna on the roof you can connect to?

stand alone tv44

Has anyone used Terk TV44 without a satellite setup to supply the power?
I was given a TV44 and would like to use it as a TV antenae. What is the required voltage? How do you appy it? Which "out" do I run to the receiver?
Or is it even worth it?
Charlie Z.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)