Echostar 1 at 77W approved

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
FCC issued multiple Echostar 1 licences to 1: Move to 77W; 2: Use ground stations to coordinate the move; and 3: Operate at 77W under Echostar control until Mexico reflagging is completed.

One can expect to see Echostar5 transfer completed and movement begin soon.

Operating License:

FCC INTERNATIONAL BUREAU

One can expect to see Echostar5 transfer completed and movement begin soon.
:confused: But, but... Echostar 5 has already moved to 148 and is transmitting on at least some transponders according to your own thread here.
Maybe that was a typo. Did you mean Echostar 4 or 6? Echostar 4 has what? Only 4 or 6 remaining transponders? Echostar 6 is at 72 and not 77.

:confused: But, but... Echostar 5 has already moved to 148 and is transmitting on at least some transponders according to your own thread here.
Maybe that was a typo. Did you mean Echostar 4 or 6? Echostar 4 has what? Only 4 or 6 remaining transponders? Echostar 6 is at 72 and not 77.

No typo. Last time I looked E1 still had some wobbling transponders running at 148 so transfer to E5 was not complete. E4 will be deorbited sometime after E1 begins 77W operations.

No typo. Last time I looked E1 still had some wobbling transponders running at 148 so transfer to E5 was not complete. E4 will be deorbited sometime after E1 begins 77W operations.

Nelson,

All of Dish Networks satellites orbit at 22,000+ miles from the Earths' surface. No Satellite that has launched to this orbit has EVER been orbited.

Once any and all of the satellites at that orbit reached the end of their service life, they use some reserved propellant to move them a hundred or so miles below their service orbit. There they will remain for at least few hundred years.

John

John wrote: "Once any and all of the satellites at that orbit reached the end of their service life, they use some reserved propellant to move them a hundred or so miles below their service orbit. There they will remain for at least few hundred years."

As a matter of curiosity, why wouldn't they put them a hundred miles further out? It seems to me they would be better out of the way further out. Or even better than that, why not send them on an orbit that would intersect the sun? (Reduction of space debris.) Do these satellites have residual value for communications purposes?

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fitzie

Nelson,

All of Dish Networks satellites orbit at 22,000+ miles from the Earths' surface. No Satellite that has launched to this orbit has EVER been orbited.

Once any and all of the satellites at that orbit reached the end of their service life, they use some reserved propellant to move them a hundred or so miles below their service orbit. There they will remain for at least few hundred years.

John

Look in some of the filings and you will find that they frequently use the word "deorbit" to describe moving the satellite to a higher orbit than geostationary at end of life..

OK, just a confusing sentence. The transfer to E5 from E1 will be complete, and then E1 (not E5) will be moved. Makes sense now.

But you've added another confusing sentence. I thought E5 was the one that wobbles, not E1!

Finally, I agree with those who want "deorbit" to mean "come down out of orbit", rather than "raised to a higher orbit." I know we can't blame you for starting that tortured phrase. :mad: And why not leave E4 where it is to provide a few even transponders? How many does it have left, BTW?

OK, just a confusing sentence. The transfer to E5 from E1 will be complete, and then E1 (not E5) will be moved. Makes sense now.

But you've added another confusing sentence. I thought E5 was the one that wobbles, not E1!

Finally, I agree with those who want "deorbit" to mean "come down out of orbit", rather than "raised to a higher orbit." I know we can't blame you for starting that tortured phrase. :mad: And why not leave E4 where it is to provide a few even transponders? How many does it have left, BTW?

I agree regarding teminology. My poor grammar on wobble.

It made absolutely no sense to me when I first saw "deorbit". When I read about, I thought they were going to sink them into an ocean but then when reading the details, saw that instead they were going up not down. Right out of Catch 22.

They said in the filings, that E4 will be "decomissioned" ( my words) sometime after E1 arrives. There will be a FCC filing requesting permission for that event.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)