Terk TV44 work with vip622?

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
Is anyone familiar with the Terk TV44 antenna?

I picked one up at Radio Shack the other day to use for local OTA HD stations with my vip622. However, in reading the manual, it states that the satellite receiver must be turned off to view local channels. Does this mean that I can't use the vip622 to DVR local channels? Does the vip622 even have an on/off option?

Thanks for any help,
Ed

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
However, in reading the manual, it states that the satellite receiver must be turned off to view local channels. Thanks for any help,
Ed

You can ignor that. That would only apply to a sat receiver that didn't have an OTA tuner and was connected by coax (channel 3 or 4) to your TV.

Desert Satellite

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 8, 2006
I have mine connected to one with a clear line of site to the source (antenna on top of local mountain) which is about 10 miles away and it works great. Every once in awhile my 622 records three events at once... which is really great!

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for the info folks!! I finally got around to installing it today. Works like a charm! Much better than the RCA amplified indoor antenna I was using. Install was a pain though - mostly because of the location of my dish.

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
I guess I spoke too soon. I am having two problems since installing the OTA antenna.

1. Every now and then the sounds gets very "metallic" sounding. It's as if the dialogue is happening in a big metal box.

2. The picture on the second TV is "snowy." This is the case for all channels. Absolutely no problems with the picture on the main TV.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
It's a Terk what did you expect miracles? Actually it you are close enough to the broadcast channels moving the amplified rabbit ears outside would improve reception. Your TV2 problem has to do with changes you made in the wiring start by checking your connections then start looking at what you changed in the wiring.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Terk has a reputation for being good looking, underperforming, and overpriced.

Clip on antennas generally do not perform well in any event.

For indoor use, the Silver Sensor is probably the best. Many choices for outdoor.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
1) What signal strengths are you getting on the OTA channels ?

2) TV2 does not see the channels you're picking up with the antenna.

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
How did I know this would turn into a TERK bashing session? :)

1) Signal strength is 100%

2) I realize this. Still, all of the channels on TV 2 are snowy.

Guess I should start by replacing the diplexer and cable that were introduced into the mix when I installed the TERK.

BTW, I picked up my TV44 at Radio Shack for only $29 PLUS I was able to install it myself.

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
The $30 Silver sensor is about the best antenna for ranges up to 40 miles I have used. I have tried several, some worked okay with the TV, but not the Dish receiver, the Silver Sensor does both.

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
So while replacing some cables and diplexers, I somehow managed to screw things up so that I'm not getting any signal on TV2. Can someone tell me where I might have messed up? Cable comes in from dish, and goes like this:

Diplexer 1:
TV > TV/Antenna In on Vip622
Sat > Diplexer 2

Diplexer 2:
Ant > Home Distribution on Vip622
Sat > DP Plus Seperator

DP Plus Seperator:
1 > Satellite In 1
2 > Satellite In 2

On the positive side, I haven't had the "metal chamber" sound problem since I replaced the cables and diplexer.

Thanks!!!

DishAggie

Nov 21, 2006
TV2 gets its signal via diplexer, while terk 44 uses diplexer to get its signal. you may be diplexing one too many signals. I have same set up and have yet to figure out how to get terk44 to work with the 622. Anything you figure out please share.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
OUtside/Dish
From the lnb you run to the terk 44 IN port a pre supplied cable and from the OUT port you run the sat cable to inside your house to your receiver.

Inside/tv
ONce in side your house you run a diplexor and run the sat side to your sat receiver or to the dish pro seperator and then to your receiver SAT IN ports. From the tv side you can run a cable to a splitter and run one to your tv , one to your antenna port on your sat receiver.

That is how you get satellite and antenna on one coax leading into your house. From any other receiver in your house you can duplicate this using a similar diplexor and splitter etc. The terk 44 allows upto 4 cable runs into your house. So with a dish 1000.2 I can get upto 3 lines run , because the dish 1000.2 only allows 3 runs. I have this setup at my house for my 2 /622s and my 722 in the living room.

blazeblaze

Oct 8, 2007
Rockwall, TX
I purchased a Terk TV-44 about 2 months ago for use on my Dish VIP622 DVR, and have not gotten around to crawling up on the roof to install it. A buddy of mine has been using the predecessor to the TV-44 (I think it just has half the outputs), and has had really excellent luck with it. This buddy of mine had an old Dish Network HD receiver (not a DVR) up until last week, and I just talked him into upgrading to the VIP722. The installer came to his house and said that with using the VIP722 in dual mode (having TV1 output to his main HDTV, and TV2 outputing to a remote SD TV via the coax cable) he had to have a dedicated cable run going from the Terk antenna to his OTA input on his VIP722. The installer told him it was due to limited bandwidth or interference or something along those lines...so the installer went ahead and ran a dedicated line for the OTA antenna. I am kind of bummed about this if it is true, because it will be a serious project running a second cable to my receiver in my house. I was curious if anyone else has run into this issue...or if this might be the cause of the OP's "snow" on TV2. I was hoping to try installing my Terk TV-44 within the next month anyways in hopes that it would work without a new cable run.

DishAggie

Nov 21, 2006
Blaze... having that dedicated coax run is what I had thought too. With only one coax running to the 622, it is that same coax that carries the diplexed TV2 SD signal to the other television. I dont think one can have the Terk-44 diplexed on the same line that is also carrying the diplexed TV2 signal.

blazeblaze

Oct 8, 2007
Rockwall, TX
DishAggie,

This is what I'm afraid of. Did you already try this with your setup? If so, what was the result? Was there just "snow" on TV2, as the OP reported, or did it totally kill the signal to TV2? Just curious. Thanks.

elee532

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 9, 2006
MikeD-C05, can you explain this in slightly more detail and basic terms for a newbie? Up to this point, I have basically followed the TERK manual. Help me understand where I need to differ from the manual in order to make this work with my Vip622.

Thanks much!

loves2watch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 17, 2007
Mew Nexico
Regular outdoor antennas work much, much better and don't conflict with the sat signals. But you do have to have another RG6 cable coming into the house. Every one I have set up works flawlessly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts