Terminated from DISH

MattJ2124

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, just to give you a heads up, I was terminated from DISH today for giving out advice on this website. I guess echostar has people that monitor these sites, they pulled up my threads or posts and displayed them to me and then walked me out. No big deal, I am a math teacher and this was just a summer job for fun so it's not like I am going to hurt, but I want to warn fellow tech employees to BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY these people do monitor the forums. I would also like to say though that I really enjoy the Satellite Guys forum and in no way do I have any negative feelings on the forums, I like the fact that we can all talk freely and state our opinions on here, this is a great site and I will be sending in my first donation here in a little bit!!!!!

Bet you don't hear about this on the next Retail or Charlie Chat. But what the hell can you expect in a country that lets beer manufacturers tell employees what beer they can and cannot drink in public.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I can't find exactly what I'm looking for through the search engine so I will throw it out here. Sorry to hear about the job loss but you just might be the person to answer my questions. I am a long time subscriber to Dish and have been receiving HD signals for a couple of years now. I have a 921 and have been receiving locals OTA. My 921 CBS signal has never been as stong as what I got from the 6000 but is has been adequate. About a week ago I lost CBS and it got replaced by Los Angeles Channel 4 NBC (I live in San Diego). I key in the channel number 008-01 for San Diego CBS but get L.A. NBC. I called San Diego CBS and they tell me nothing has changed. I called Dish and I am told it's not their doing. Can anyone help?

MattJ2124 said:
Hey guys, just to give you a heads up, I was terminated from DISH today for giving out advice on this website. I guess echostar has people that monitor these sites, they pulled up my threads or posts and displayed them to me and then walked me out. No big deal, I am a math teacher and this was just a summer job for fun so it's not like I am going to hurt, but I want to warn fellow tech employees to BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY these people do monitor the forums. I would also like to say though that I really enjoy the Satellite Guys forum and in no way do I have any negative feelings on the forums, I like the fact that we can all talk freely and state our opinions on here, this is a great site and I will be sending in my first donation here in a little bit!!!!!
It figures. They fire employees who try and help customers, but encourage the idiocy that one encounters through telephone customer service.

I onder, though.
a. How did they know it was you?
b. Did you post secret Echostar info? (as opposed to basic public knowledge?)
c. Did you make any disparaging remarks about your employer?
d. Did you ever sign anything stating that you wouldn't discuss non-secret/public knowledge about Echostar in public forums?

If the answer to b,c, and d is "no", you just might have a little legal issue right there.

We have lots of E* and D* employees here, and unfortunately its not the only time I have heard this story.

The advice I can give to these folks isL

1) to choose your username carefully. bob_thorton is not a good username is your name is Bob Thorton and you work for one of the Satellite Companies.

2) Never post the fact you are an employee in the forum

3) If you have some news to share and don't want to get in trouble email us at news@satelliteguys.us and we can help report it for you.

I find it amazing how stupid is these Satellite companies are, they should be embrasing us as they use us heavily for their research and to find out whats going on, yet they choose to turn up a cold nose to us, or instead take up partnerships with other sites because they dont have the guts to tell the truth about whats going on at these companies. It's kind of sad actually. :(

im a directv tech,,go rupert!!!

HI SCOTT!!!! nice pics from expo!!

a job WELL done!

you still are not a journalist,,, P T BARNUM , YES , JOURNALIST....no!

.....bob, dragon ......thank you for keeping your word.

That is just plain WRONG.

I bet E* wouldn't appreciate 10,000 phone calls/emails about their employmnet practices. I reviewed Matt's messages and found no BIG secrets revealed or anything that might be grounds for termination. But I am not Charlie either...

Sorry Matt.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thanks Bob,

BTW this is not the DirecTV area. :) (What a scare they had yesterday huh?)

i thought this was satellite girls???? what with all the euroweenie SOCCER talk on here?? (futbol)

again , thank you

MattJ2124 said:

Sounds like you worked for a bunch of idiots! Whom don't care what their customers want. Your better off working as a teacher at least it's a secure job that you really can't be fired from.

Hey, thanks for the support guys, I have gotten a few private messages in support also I thank those people as well. The understanding that I have is I gave some advice about DISH's retention b/c there are some customers that are told things that are not true and I believe that is what got me into trouble. They felt as though I was trying to give customers a path to getting free service which was not my intention, but maybe I worded my statements leading one to believe that? When I registered I used my screen name which has my first name and I put my location down, never in a million years did I think that helpin people out in these forums would get me fired. But again, no big deal, my summer play money is gone but I am still getting my paychecks from the school system I work for so what's done is done. But how crazy is it that there are people monitoring everything that is being said in these forums and taking action on them. Let me also state, I HAVE ALWAYS ACCESSED THIS SITE AT HOME NEVER AT WORK, but when I first started they did make me sign a paper stating I can be terminated at anytime and for anything, I guess that explains why we have such a high turnover rate, oh well....

MattJ2124 said:
But how crazy is it that there are people monitoring everything that is being said in these forums and taking action on them.
God forbid they should monitor the sight to be of help to their customers, instead of simply spying on employees.

MattJ2124 said:
...when I first started they did make me sign a paper stating I can be terminated at anytime and for anything, I guess that explains why we have such a high turnover rate, oh well....
You cannot sign away your rights. If they fired you wrongfully, and without just cause, you would still have a legal argument. For instance, if they had you sign a paper stating they could fire you for whistleblowing, it does not give them that right. You would still be protected by law.

Obviously, I'm not a big Dish fan. But, this has lowered my opinion of them tenfold. Despicable. Truly Despicable.

While I feel bad when he signed that it made him an AT Will employee which can be fired at any time for anything... unfortunately that overrides state laws and goes strait to federal... For instance here in Kentucky all employment is AT Will.

Fired! Why?

I read some of your postings, and I cannot think of any reason why they would fire you. If they fired you soley on your posting on this site, you were wrongfully fired... unless, of course, you were on probationary status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts