Termination due to no LOS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stharish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
San Francisco
I recently moved to cottage type house and had the installer out today. The main house is uphill from the cottage and is blocking line of sight to the South completely. He said the ONLY way he could MAYBE get line of sight is to mount the dish on the roof near the front of the house. I called the landlord and she denied the request. Directv is sending someone else out for a second opinion. They said if the landlord won't allow the front of house option, which may or may not work, they will be charging me the early termination fee.

What can I do??? I can't find anything in the agreement about termination charges due to no line of sight or no landlord approval.

Thanks

The way I have seen it work = if everything is satisfactory at the beginning of the contract whatever happens after that is under the control of the customer. Directv did not make you move and did offer to reestablish your service. Try negotiation with the propertry owner and Directv.

Good luck,

Joe

Never have had this issue, but...with my cellphone when I moved to an area "not served" they asked for statement by me and supporting facts in writing of the issue and then released me. Get EVERYTHING in writing. (Landlord, installer opinion, etc. etc.) Ask if you can submit this info directly to a "higher up" CSR. People move all the time. Be polite and helpful to the company on the phone, (nice goes a long way) and good luck!

Typically Directv will charge you. Technically you have a LOS however your new landlord or management is denying you access. So Directv will look at it as its not a problem on their end and prolly end up charging you. Just had somebody go through the same thing and ended up with about a $200 charge

stonecold said:
Do what most people do slip the tech 20 bucks to mark the install ticket as no LOS and then immediately call up and cancel .

Can't anymore. Directv is requiring not only the tech but a tech Sup. to verify it so tat won't work anymore. But man, I use to get rich that way!

Can't anymore. Directv is requiring not only the tech but a tech Sup. to verify it so tat won't work anymore. But man, I use to get rich that way!

depends on the supervisor. I sliped a 20 to a tech at a friends house to look the other way on los called his sup up and asked him when he be by so we could go over the details. I think it total he spent 70 bucks which beat the 360 dtv wanted at the time.

stonecold said:
depends on the supervisor. I sliped a 20 to a tech at a friends house to look the other way on los called his sup up and asked him when he be by so we could go over the details. I think it total he spent 70 bucks which beat the 360 dtv wanted at the time.

Yeah, I agree completely on that! It all depends on who the sup is. Indi office is hardcore on LOS, if it's not there a sup is out in less then 24 hours, typically same day. Their pay structure now is including completions. So it depends, has the sup lost his already? Like I said, I use to make a killing on either "I just don't like D or I would rather put it in my wife's name so can I cancel" but I agree with you stonecold, it all depends

Yeah, I agree completely on that! It all depends on who the sup is. Indi office is hardcore on LOS, if it's not there a sup is out in less then 24 hours, typically same day. Their pay structure now is including completions. So it depends, has the sup lost his already? Like I said, I use to make a killing on either "I just don't like D or I would rather put it in my wife's name so can I cancel" but I agree with you stonecold, it all depends

One difference was the QA sup who does it for mastec in my area I met multiple times before so it was easier for me then most. But Yeah I would call customers back some times on my private line that was not recorded and tell them to just slip the installer a couple of bucks to mark the ticket as no los so retentions would just close the ticket.

Technically your under contract, reguardless if you moved and cannot get a line of site.

However if you had a tech come out to confirm NLOS, then they can and will usually make an exception.

As far as your situation, your dealing with NLOS, but where you do have LOS, you have No Landlord permission.

Could go either way, chances are you will get the cancellation fee waived.

It would just be easier to tell dtv that you're moving to a nursing home so you don't have to take a day waiting around to brib a tech. The efc will still be waived.

The FCC laws do prohibit landlords and homeowners associations from restricting your use of satellite frequencys completely so no land lord permission won't get your ECFwaived. However If they do allow you to put a dish, but only in a spot where you can not get a signal then the early cancellation fee will be waived. This as well as nursing home moves are fairly new options that it can be waived under.

Technically your under contract, reguardless if you moved and cannot get a line of site.

However if you had a tech come out to confirm NLOS, then they can and will usually make an exception.

As far as your situation, your dealing with NLOS, but where you do have LOS, you have No Landlord permission.

Could go either way, chances are you will get the cancellation fee waived.

Actually the answer is NO claude. There is a support tool that retention uses for determining if a etf will apply. no los due to landlord is a etf guaranteed yes.

There is only 2 main ways to get out of a dtv contract scott free.

1. Move where there is no LOS at all.
2. Have military orders that put you on active deployment.

Other harder to get approvals are

1. Natural Disasters ( but not in all cases has to be declared by the Federal Gov)
2. Account Manager Escalations. example of which a account manager sent out a senior tech multiple times an can not resolve a tech problem then they can authorize a 0 etf cancelation.
3. Death if you send in all the apporiate paperwork saying the account holder is dead.

The FCC laws do prohibit landlords and homeowners associations from restricting your use of satellite frequencys completely so no land lord permission won't get your ECFwaived. However If they do allow you to put a dish, but only in a spot where you can not get a signal then the early cancellation fee will be waived. This as well as nursing home moves are fairly new options that it can be waived under.

Not true. A landlord does not have to give permission for a satellite dish. This is still America as they say, you have to actually own the property for that law to be in effect and have those kind of rights. And then it only applies to the area in your control - that you own.

Tampa8 said:
Not true. A landlord does not have to give permission for a satellite dish. This is still America as they say, you have to actually own the property for that law to be in effect and have those kind of rights. And then it only applies to the area in your control - that you own.

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.
Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.

www.fcc.gov/guides/over-the-air-reception-devices-rule

Of course the landlord can say no altogether, in that case the efc will not be waived. However if they send the tech out and he's not able to get a signal in the allowed location then there would be no trouble getting out of the contract. There has to be some rule and some exception. If they waived it for NLLP alone, everyone that wanted out of a contract would lie and say they had no landlord permission.

We all know there are regulations regarding landlords and HOAs from restricting satellite dishes. Landlords can legally say you can't attach a dish to the roof or drill any holes for cabling.

Tampa8 said:

Sorta...they can NOT say you can't have a satellite but they can make so many rules to make it impossible to install. For example, I had a customer that lived in an apartment complex they complex ok'd the dish but rules said no flat cable, no drilling, and no running cable through windows. No way to install it and they know but they don't deny the guy to have a dish. Just one of those crazy deals where they don't say no they just make it impossible. Stonecold nailed it on the head. It's nearly impossible to get the fee waived. He would know th best too, he use to work there. I'm just a service tech

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)