Terra Nova

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Behind the Scenes at 'Terra Nova' - WSJ.com

New series on FOX next fall. The article is currently free to read at the above link from the Wall Street Journal.

The first two hours of the show cost about $16 million (producers say some of these costs will be amortized over the length of the show). Production in Australia required 300 crew members. A single scene that shows the family, the Shannons, arriving at their prehistoric home required 410 extras. The towering sets took nearly 15 weeks to build and include a Terra Nova "colony" the size of a football field inside 18-foot walls, complete with a market, hospital and residences. An 8-foot animatronic velociraptor makes a cameo in the second hour.

Essentially the show is about a group of settlers from the future (2149) that go back in time to start over. The article is really interesting giving the development background on the show. It looks like it could be an interesting show. FOX has already committed to the series for the fall since it was so expensive to produce the sets they went ahead with filming episodes.

First promotions should appear during the Superbowl.

They also briefly talk about the new Incredible Hulk series coming to ABC.

As mentioned in the WSJ article above the sets and pilot were so expensive to set up they kept shooting episodes because it would be too expensive to stop production. So, Fox will probably have the entire season shot before the pilot airs. Of course they will probably still be working on the special effects.

I wouldn't fault Fox, any more than ABC & NBC, when it comes to shuffling timeslots and early cancellations. All three have done it often. But at least they keep trying. It's hard to find any sci-fi ever on CBS, since they only bring us sitcoms, crime dramas, and reality shows.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but that's mostly because there is so much crap out there. Plus, everytime I like a sci-fi show it is doomed to be cancelled. Doomed I say! Does anyone remember shows like Invasion, Threshold and Surface? Gone, gone and gone after a season...which is probably why I don't even bother checking-out most of the broadcast sci-fi offerings - just watch old Twilight Zone episodes. The only exception has been Fringe (which I only like) and appeared to have been on the brink of being cancelled its first three seasons. I'm sure this will be its last. Anyway, I am adding a timer for Terra Nova - just hope I don't jinx it.

Hey, I hear CBS will coming out will a Sci-fi laden mid-season lineup after they cancel all the new shows that don't draw over 11 million viewers. I hear these new shows will be called Criminal Minds: Invasion, CSI: Surface and Two and half Thresholds. Well, that's only way you're going to see any Sci-fi on CBS. :D

this show looks curious im going to give it a shot and see how it goes or if fox will screw it up :)

riffjim4069 said:
I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but that's mostly because there is so much crap out there. Plus, everytime I like a sci-fi show it is doomed to be cancelled. Doomed I say! Does anyone remember shows like Invasion, Threshold and Surface? Gone, gone and gone after a season...which is probably why I don't even bother checking-out most of the broadcast sci-fi offerings - just watch old Twilight Zone episodes. The only exception has been Fringe (which I only like) and appeared to have been on the brink of being cancelled its first three seasons. I'm sure this will be its last. Anyway, I am adding a timer for Terra Nova - just hope I don't jinx it.

Hey, I hear CBS will coming out will a Sci-fi laden mid-season lineup after they cancel all the new shows that don't draw over 11 million viewers. I hear these new shows will be called Criminal Minds: Invasion, CSI: Surface and Two and half Thresholds. Well, that's only way you're going to see any Sci-fi on CBS. :D

Actually there is a sci if friendly show on CBS, it's called Big Bang Theory. :)

I am glad that TNT has renewed Fallen Skies. Only ten episodes a year, but better than nothing.

terra nova has the benefit of coming from Spielberg and Fox might be a little more cautious in axing his stuff if they want to work with him.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Somethings I don't understand about the premise of the show: Why the time period where dinosaurs exist? Humanity would once again face destruction if they went back to that time , just like the dinosaurs did themselves. Not to mention they face the chance of being eaten on a daily basis- kind of like Land of the Lost -the tv series. Not to mention if you go back in time and make changes , you change the very time line that produced you in the first place. How does this help humanity continue ? Why not go into the far future where the earth has repaired itself and is back to normal. Then you could move forward and start the polluting and destroying the earth all over again. Plus you would have more years to work on getting off this planet in the first place . But my ultimate question is this: IF a society can actually invent time travel , then why not invent a cure for the pollution and fix the earth and stay where you are at?

Somethings I don't understand about the premise of the show: Why the time period where dinosaurs exist? Humanity would once again face destruction if they went back to that time , just like the dinosaurs did themselves. Not to mention they face the chance of being eaten on a daily basis- kind of like Land of the Lost -the tv series. Not to mention if you go back in time and make changes , you change the very time line that produced you in the first place. How does this help humanity continue ? Why not go into the far future where the earth has repaired itself and is back to normal. Then you could move forward and start the polluting and destroying the earth all over again. Plus you would have more years to work on getting off this planet in the first place . But my ultimate question is this: IF a society can actually invent time travel , then why not invent a cure for the pollution and fix the earth and stay where you are at?

...or go back in time to WWII and help Hitler win the war. Hitler would gladly take care of the overpopulation problem and hence solve the pollution problem. Seriously, the time-travel back to dinosaur days "angle" has me worried---very worried---about this show. Also, there is absolutely nothing humans can do to kill this planet...nothing; humans would simply die-off and the planet would recover until the sun could no longer support life on earth in a couple billion years. To be honest, I would rather see the Shannon family wake up in 2149 and find themselves getting ready to enter the orbit of an earth-like planet somewhere in our solar system. Later, when listening through archived communications from earth, they discover that human life on earth was probably destroyed by a massive meteor strike. The future of the human race is completely dependent on the colony.

The colony winds-up landing on a planet that resembles prehistoric Earth. The show follows the Shannon family as they struggle to build their new home and populate the planet...and do it right this time. Of course, the irony is that the colony must "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) for the human polulation to survive and somehow strike a balance once someone determines there are enough humans consuming enough resources on the planet. Good luck with this one! The viewers certainly aren't going to stick around a thousands years for this crisis to develop. I'm just having trouble imagining how this show is going to keep me interested more than a few episodes. We shall see...

That would be better premise I think than going back to the past. As Americans we do tend to look towards the future and not the past. I remember a movie in the 60s where the scientist invented a giant view screen that was a portal to time. They went to the far future and saw the world reduced to a shell with mutants and android robots fighting it out. They too ended up going back to the long ago past since they couldn't seem to back to their own time. They even brought the humans they liked from the future to go back with them. I can't remember the movie name ,but it is featured in the movie theater in the 1984-85 movie: Desperately Seeking Susan-staring Madonna.

It's funny that I remember this movie in black and white. I am sure it's because I only saw this movie on black and white TV. I know I saw it as an adult on a color TV but still my memory of it was in black and white.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)