Terrible lip synch issues

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
I could be missing something but I dont think so...For years they have been saying that you can watch HD channels on a standard tv as long as you have a STB, little did I know it would cause such problems. I have a 725 and a 222 the 725 goes to a receiver and then to a 50" Panny and I deal with the issues there because I can with the receiver, however the 222 is connected to a SD television and when I watch things such as the NHL network which is only in HD, the lip sync is terrible. I am only using the standard RCA cables, nothing crazy here so I would think everything would just pass right through and work, but for some reason the audio is about 1 sec. in front of the lips and it is painful to watch. Is there a setting in the receiver maybe that is incorrectly set? I would think since there is no HD processing to be done or audio to be decoded the should should be passed to the TV without any issues. what gives?

I could be missing something but I dont think so...For years they have been saying that you can watch HD channels on a standard tv as long as you have a STB, little did I know it would cause such problems. I have a 725 and a 222 the 725 goes to a receiver and then to a 50" Panny and I deal with the issues there because I can with the receiver, however the 222 is connected to a SD television and when I watch things such as the NHL network which is only in HD, the lip sync is terrible. I am only using the standard RCA cables, nothing crazy here so I would think everything would just pass right through and work, but for some reason the audio is about 1 sec. in front of the lips and it is painful to watch. Is there a setting in the receiver maybe that is incorrectly set? I would think since there is no HD processing to be done or audio to be decoded the should should be passed to the TV without any issues. what gives?

In menu/installation, there should be an Audio Sync button. It is probably set to "sync to HD". Change it to SD. I don't have a 222 but have this option with my 622.

Lip Synch error fixed!

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded my Dish and got HD. The lip synch error was so bad I was about to cancel my Dish subscription.

I gave it some logical thought and decided to change my physical configuration regarding the wires to and from the A/V system.

The sound was way ahead of the picture by about 2 spoken words! That's huge. So I figured two things were needed:

1. Speed up the Video
2. Slow down the audio

My previous configuration:

1. S-video from 722 receiver to plasma tv.
2. Optical audio cable from 722 to Home Theater receiver.

Change and fix:

1. HDMI cable from 722 to tv. (I was planning this anyway because the HD wasn't great with the S-video) This gave me a much better picture so bonus number 1!!!

At this point the sound was better but not perfect. Somewhere between 1/2 and a full word delay.

2. Disconnect optical cable and run audio from tv to Home Theater receiver.

Results: Excellent picture and lip synch error completely eliminated.

I hope this helps.

David

Book travel online at: http://www.dsbdestinations.com
Business Opportunity: http://www.dsbdestinations.info

1. S-video from 722 receiver to plasma tv.

Change and fix:

1. HDMI cable from 722 to tv. (I was planning this anyway because the HD wasn't great with the S-video) This gave me a much better picture so bonus number 1!!!

Wow...I hope the Dish guy didn't wire your HD set that way. You never saw true HD until you switched to the HDMI cable. S-Video doesn't carry HD signal...the only way to get HD to your TV from your satellite receiver (or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc) is either Component cables or HDMI. S-video can't do it.

Glad you played around with it and changed the S-video cable out...otherwise, you made one of the most common mistake in HD today.

Regarding the sound, I'll try that with my system and see if it'll help.

Tim

No, he didn't wire it that way. I was short an HDMI cable and planned to switch the s-video cable out. I didn't have HD before so the s-video was okay. :)

The HDMI cable, of course, carries sound as well. If you run a sound cable from the TV to your audio receiver the sound will synch better. I haven't noticed any real decrease in sound quality, which is what I feared. I still get full surround.

I'm sure that audiophiles will say that my sound is suffering but I don't have an optical audio out on my TV. :(

The problem with sound from TV to amp is that limits you to 2.0. If you want 5.1 then you must use optical from Dish receiver to amp or to optical multiplexor and then to amp.

FWIW, the Samsung boards (specifically AVS for HL-Txx87/89, 7000+ posts!) discuss that the TV will not pass 5.1 HDMI sound to the optical output, only 2.0. This seems to be across brands/models. So much for using the TV as your 5.1 multiplexor.
-Ken

A few questions after a few weeks of Dish

Dish's time on the units....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)