Texas Rangers - the next superpower?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Looks like, win or lose this World Series, this team will be very good for a LONG time. The scouting is in place, the prospects are in place, management is in place, and, most importantly, the money is in place.

The Rangers' new TV contract (which doesn't start until 2015), guarantees them $80 million PER YEAR from TV alone. Amazing in this economy and that market.

When you think about it, the Rangers are kind of the opposite of the Tampa Bay Rays. The Ranger's success on the field has breeded success at the box office, which has contributed to more success on the field. And it looks like it's only going to get better.

Unfortunately in Tampa, people did not come out to support a World Series team the following year, and the team's finances suffered. That led to more players leaving. Thanks to a great minor league system of their own they can still remain competitive some years, but they were not able to build on their success like the Rangers were.

I think we may be seeing the beginnings of many years of good-to-great Texas Rangers teams.

Sandra

I agree with everything you said...but one thing. Tampa is not in a top 10 market like the Rangers are(Arlington/Dallas area). But you are spot on as far as where Texas is with finances, management, scouting and current players. And they have good, loyal fans. And I LOVE that stadium. I went a couple of years back after during a business training and I loved it.

Unfortunately Texas is considered a small market team. Because of the Dallas Cowboys we will never be considered a large market team.

I do hope we sign some of our players long term like Hamilton, Murphy, Cruz, and Napoli.

Unfortunately Texas is considered a small market team. Because of the Dallas Cowboys we will never be considered a large market team.

I do hope we sign some of our players long term like Hamilton, Murphy, Cruz, and Napoli.

Not sure I understand why the presence ofa football team figures into market size. Do you mean that the market is big but that the Cowboys dominate it sports wise?

You have to wonder if the Cowboys would still be as popular as they are if they were in the NFC South or West divisions instead of the NFC East division. Also,the NBA Champs Mavericks & NHL Stars seem to be doing good in a "small market."

You have to wonder if the Cowboys would still be as popular as they are if they were in the NFC South or West divisions instead of the NFC East division. Also,the NBA Champs Mavericks & NHL Stars seem to be doing good in a "small market."

Yep, and neither team is considered a large market team either. The reason I say the Rangers are a small market team and the Cowboys being a big reason is due to the shear popularity of the Cowboys. The Rangers I don't think will ever be more popular than the Cowboys.

Texas, especially DFW, is football country, even at the high school level.

Yep, and neither team is considered a large market team either. The reason I say the Rangers are a small market team and the Cowboys being a big reason is due to the shear popularity of the Cowboys. The Rangers I don't think will ever be more popular than the Cowboys.

Just because another team within the city limits dominates another one in popularity/viewership, does not makes it a small market team. The Dallas metropolitan area is the somewhere between the 5th and 8th biggest markets in the US. Regardless of how popular the Cowboys are over ANY team in the Dallas area, they will still be considered a large market team.

Sorry but they are a big market team. Lots of people means big market.

God I hope not. I live about 190 miles south of D/FW. Until last year, Rangers fans didn't exist here. That's not all-together true as there are a lot of undergrads at A&M from that area and some of them care about the Rangers. They're freaking everywhere now and beyond obnoxious. You can't appreciate how obnoxious Dallas bandwagon fans are until you experience it.

I was talking to a guy the other day, and he starts asking me when the Astros next game is. This guy worked for me from 2005-2007. I took him to him first ever baseball game in 2006. These people are really pushing my indifference towards all AL teams.

Go Berkman! Go Cards! Go NL! Get that ring, Big Puma!

Wasn't it last year that the Rangers were having financial trouble? Nolan Ryan really turned the team around.
The previous ownership was clueless. They traded away their farm system stars for yardbirds, and mortgaged the future for A-Rod. The current management team is making all the right moves.

mdonnelly said:
The previous ownership was clueless. They traded away their farm system stars for yardbirds, and mortgaged the future for A-Rod. The current management team is making all the right moves.

Tom Hicks is one of the worst owners in sports. He still owns the Dallas Stars and they have sucked for a while now. He's the reason for the $25+ million per year contracts in MLB.

The only owner close to being as bad is Jerry Jones.

Tom Hicks is one of the worst owners in sports. He still owns the Dallas Stars and they have sucked for a while now. He's the reason for the $25+ million per year contracts in MLB.

The only owner close to being as bad is Jerry Jones.

Do not disagree with your MLB comments, but for the sake of accuracy the Dallas Stars have been very competitive while Hicks has owned them.

Sandra

The Stars haven't had a good season since their Stanley Cup run after they won it the year prior.

It just goes to show that you actually have to win a championship before talking about being considered the next superpower. This latest iteration of the Washington Senators have won exactly nothing, nil, zip, null, nodda, in its 50-year history; zero for two in World Series championships and counting. At this rate the Rangers have the potential to replace the Buffalo Bills. Texas Rangers - the next superchoker?

At least they made it to the world series two years in a row, pirate fans would love that. Hell we would take a playoff spot.

It just goes to show that you actually have to win a championship before talking about being considered the next superpower. This latest iteration of the Washington Senators have won exactly nothing, nil, zip, null, nodda, in its 50-year history; zero for two in World Series championships and counting. At this rate the Rangers have the potential to replace the Buffalo Bills. Texas Rangers - the next superchoker?
Kind of like USC's football dynasty a few years back, only the Rangers don't cheat. I wouldn't put them in the same category as the Bills yet though. The Cardinals played their asses off to win this one. Nobody choked.

Not sure how they rebound emotionally from coming within 1 strike on 2 separate occasions from winning the World Series. I think this sting sits with them for quite some time.

Not sure how they rebound emotionally from coming within 1 strike on 2 separate occasions from winning the World Series. I think this sting sits with them for quite some time.

I agree...quite some time this winter. I don't think it will have any efffect on next season, however.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)