Thank You Dish Network

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Just wanted to say Thank you Dish Network for all the new HDTV channels this year.
They are all of excellent quality and a pleasure to watch.

This week, I especially want to thank you for offering a clean HDTV channel of the DNC without commercial or commentary. It was so nice being able to tune in and watch the events unfold without the constant propaganda and jabbing by media people. Instead you showed the convention as a media event making production quality the priority. The sound mix was excellent and with a large screen and big sound here at home, I felt like I was there. I hope you will be doing the same for future events like this. The RNC and then maybe the debates would be nice. It's like CSPAN on steroids.

While I thank you also for the latest 1080p VOD offering, I'm sorry to say that I don't feel this is of good value considering the competition pricing. Typical costs are just too high. So please consider a much reduced cost and build your revenue on the volume.

I loved the DNC channel! I watched more convention coverage this year than any other time I can remember. Of course I am much more engaged in this election than any other since before I could vote! The last election I remember I took this much interest in was the Ford/Carter election!

Now... if only Dish could pull a rabbit out of their hat and bring us the RNC feed, that would be great!

And maybe some one could cover a second or two of the Libertarian party so we can hear Bob Barr? :)

See ya
Tony

Tony- I just saw Scott's announcement on this and didn't realize that the DNC named DN the official provider so that is why this happened. I'm sure that the cost of it was a hefty sum that Dish Network paid. I wonder who did the production since Dish is not really equipped to do this type of event. I'm sure it was one of the NFL shooting crews with truck and uplink. We have several located here in Florida and I've worked for a couple at some Jaguar games a few years back. Not really a fun job but it is nice to have on your resume. But based on what Scott posted, I doubt this will happen at the RNC.
No comment on the politics as I understand that is against the rules now. Nuf said! :)

We could try to rival the Voom people in number of threads on the same subject.

After all, it was so hard to find a thread with all 4 of the same words in the title that was 3 threads down from this one. :rolleyes:

We could try to rival the Voom people in number of threads on the same subject.

After all, it was so hard to find a thread with all 4 of the same words in the title that was 3 threads down from this one. :rolleyes:

I give my permission for the staff to change the title of my thread, expressing thanks to Dish Network for the three mentioned additions to my service this year by adding these words in Bold:

"Thank You Dish Network So Very Much" If they so desire.

Happy now? :)

PS- Nobody needs to add their comments to my thread as nothing said by anyone will change how satisfied I am with the service I receive from Dish Network. This thread was done and may scroll off into the archives for all I care. Hopefully, Dish Network people have seen it and it pleased them.

As a TurboHD Gold subscriber, I also want to extend my thanks.

The quality and clarity of the system is excellent. Looking forward to future content they provide as well.

Wanted to state this in general, rather than focusing on just the DNC and future RNC content alone.

I upgraded to HD service last month from Dish and I am pleased. The picture quality on the HD channels is great. Makes me shin when I watch the SD channels but there are still many SD channels that are not in HD that I watch. Keep adding more HD channels. My local PBS stations would be great in HD since I can't get them worth nothing OTA.

Dish wanted to carry it in HD however there is no HD Pool feed of the event. If there was one Dish would be carrying the event in HD.

Dish got lucky for the DNC event since it was in their hometown if it was somewhere else chances are it wouldnt have been covered in HD like it was.

And before anyone asks this was not a Democrat -vs- Republican thing they really did want to carry both of them in HD.

Dish wanted to carry it in HD however there is no HD Pool feed of the event. If there was one Dish would be carrying the event in HD.

Dish got lucky for the DNC event since it was in their hometown if it was somewhere else chances are it wouldnt have been covered in HD like it was.

And before anyone asks this was not a Democrat -vs- Republican thing they really did want to carry both of them in HD.

Unfortunately not true:

Northstar is the HD pool feed
Source: Twin Cities Prepares for GOP, by Ken Freed

Translation - Dish doesn't want to pay someone else for the RNC HD pool feed.

ksturat- Thanks for the scoop-

“We go up with pictures each day a half hour before the opening gavel,” Lehrman said, “and we stay up with pictures a half hour after everything ends for the day. We’ll be providing up to 30 hours of programming overall.”

The 14 cabled and two RF pool cameras from Game Creek Video’s new Northstar HD production truck will cover the entire convention floor and provide exclusive behind-the-scenes footage.

Tandberg encoders at the Xcel Center will multiplex the signal over a 270 Mbps Vyvx circuit to NBC News in New York, which will distribute the feed by satellite. The pool feed also will be uplinked to New York for the Xcel Center as a backup.

For those not subscribing to the expensive HD pool feed, the COA is providing its own SD feed for $500, Pennoyer said, which will include original footage, some video from the HD pool, a Spanish translation, and a closed captioned version.
Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul opened in 2000

“We’ve had requests from an array of local and independent stations as well as from newspapers and periodicals that stream video on their Web sites,” Pennoyer said. “It’s up to the subscribers to convert our SD feed into whatever format works for them.”

Looks like our only chance is CNN on DishNetwork which means many of the lesser speakers will get pre-empted by CNN talking heads arguing over what was said.
I wonder what the HD cost is if the SD is $500 fee.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)