Thankful for Dish during 30 Days at home

Photog_7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
North Central Florida
Ya know, we’re very lucky to have Dish satellite TV service during this difficult time. Having traveled extensively overseas in 2005, I was amazed at how bad the satellite hardware and programming is in most countries outside of the USA. My wife and I are currently following the “stay at home for 30 Days” plan to help our doctors, nurses, and hospitals be able to handle the pandemic patients and possibly help save some lives. (Note: I do NOT want to start a discussion here about whether or not you like the current plan). But I’ll be honest—I think we’re blessed to have our Dish satellite system at this time. I know some of you have moved over to live streaming services, but I REALLY can’t stand watching commercials, and I find Dish’s DVR setup makes taping shows and watching them as easy as TV gets. Cloud DVRs just aren’t as good and often disable fast-forward. I’ve got almost 2 TB of programs sitting on my DVR that I was always too busy to watch, but that has now changed for millions of us. Suddenly, I’m finding my Dish satellite system is vital to keep us informed with 24/7 news, and it also helps my wife and I take our minds off the world’s current problems with hours of entertainment. We should all count our blessings sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Almost any TV service is good to have during the 'shelter in place'. Not all of the streaming services have forced commercials.

I was watching too much of the news channels and noticed my stress level rising. Today I have greatly reduced the news watching and feel much better!

Almost any TV service is good to have during the 'shelter in place'. Not all of the streaming services have forced commercials.

I was watching too much of the news channels and noticed my stress level rising. Today I have greatly reduced the news watching and feel much better!
On weekends, I completely cut off from the news and life gets even better

We too have been cutting way back on the news we watch, partly because it really upsets my wife. That was true even before this crisis. Just like I record everything else, I’ve started recording the news so I can just watch bits and pieces on delay. That way I can skip forward on the parts I would rather not listen to and quickly find some segments with news of interest. It seems they’re making some good progress in treatment, for example. I have already been told a million times to stay home and wash my hands, so I think I can skip that part. My point is that having a really great DVR makes watching TV a lot easier during this time. I realize that’s not anything new, but if this world crisis has taught me anything, it’s that sometimes we take things for granted without realizing what a blessing they are. I’m also glad I still have electricity, running water, a loving wife (who likes to cook!) and food and supplies available. Millions of people around the planet do not have those things. Yes, there are many other ways to receive and tape TV, and I know they probably get the job done for the people that have them. I was just pointing out that for me, having Dish right now is a blessing, because it has a great, easy to use DVR and a wide variety of TV programming available. That’s been very helpful. We need try to stay positive and count our blessings.

TV? Hell no! I'm working in the yard, doing things around the house. Plenty to do like normal. My job is still ongoing...still expected to be there unlike everyone else. I really think if they want a stay order they need to force it for everyone but medical and emergency services...this essential/non essential crap is too vague with absolutely no lists to cover things and why.

I await the order to be revised to “If you CAN work from home, you MUST work from home.”

Anybody know of anywhere that has done this?

We had someone at work get ill a week and a half ago. We were supposed to get test results last Friday. Now it’s maybe Tuesday.

I suspect the mood will change quite a bit after we have one or more employees with Coronavirus. I think we have to announce that, without giving names.

TV? Hell no! I'm working in the yard, doing things around the house. Plenty to do like normal. My job is still ongoing...still expected to be there unlike everyone else. I really think if they want a stay order they need to force it for everyone but medical and emergency services...this essential/non essential crap is too vague with absolutely no lists to cover things and why.
I do water restoration. You’d be surprised how many homes back up with literal crap water, that without these types of workers would have people living in poop, literally. We also do everything we can To keep people in the house, which coincides with the order. We also have PPE for abatements and mold. I can tell you that as far as essential goes, this is most certainly an essential service otherwise we would have more people out of their home, or living in biological hazardous material.

I used to be a news hound working in radio for years. Since the Corona Virus hit I cannot watch the news any longer. Gone for now are the news talk shows on a bunch of nets I used to look forward to. The reports are just depressing and over the top. Scare tactics by all sorts of news people over and over. Sure this is a very serious problem. I am not down playing the damage the virus has done in human life and well as the economy. But I have deleted all of the news programming and news talk show timers I use to love covering several networks. Once this madhouse is over and the news media returns back to normalcy, I then will watch the news again. By the way, other than the Corona Virus there is very little other news. I do keep the CDC site to keep track of things. But other than that I send my time watching old TV shows and movies.

Ya know, we’re very lucky to have Dish satellite TV service during this difficult time. Having traveled extensively overseas in 2005, I was amazed at how bad the satellite hardware and programming is in most countries outside of the USA. My wife and I are currently following the “stay at home for 30 Days” plan to help our doctors, nurses, and hospitals be able to handle the pandemic patients and possibly help save some lives. (Note: I do NOT want to start a discussion here about whether or not you like the current plan). But I’ll be honest—I think we’re blessed to have our Dish satellite system at this time. I know some of you have moved over to live streaming services, but I REALLY can’t stand watching commercials, and I find Dish’s DVR setup makes taping shows and watching them as easy as TV gets. Cloud DVRs just aren’t as good and often disable fast-forward. I’ve got almost 2 TB of programs sitting on my DVR that I was always too busy to watch, but that has now changed for millions of us. Suddenly, I’m finding my Dish satellite system is vital to keep us informed with 24/7 news, and it also helps my wife and I take our minds off the world’s current problems with hours of entertainment. We should all count our blessings sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I agree. We're watching a bit more TV than usual and we're glad we have so much recording capacity. In our case, streaming is pretty much unavailable, so we're glad to have so many entertainment, information resources.

You thank them plenty every time you pay your bill!
Not like you getting it for free.
Only reason I don't feel bad paying my bill is because they were kind enough to make it easy to get it for free for years and allowed me to make a tidy sum of money along the way. Should thank directv as well cuz I made even more off them.

Reactions: pattykay