Thanks from Iraq.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
I just wanted to say thank you to Satellite Guys.

I was re-called to active duty and am currently in Iraq. I read on Satellite Guys about the possibility of losing the distant networks this summer. I had a Dish 300 system I installed in 1998 with NY and LA locals and was able to hook up a 500 system before I was deployed. Since the shut off is going to happen, I'm glad I don't have to worry about my family back home being upset because of the advanced warning I had!

As a side note, I'm sure many of you would get a kick out of the satellite systems the locals have here in Iraq. You see mud huts with "dish farms" on the roof. Everything here is satellite, as a matter of fact I'm using satellite internet right now. Being here has got me more interested in FTA satellite systems. I might look into them when I get home.

Again thanks for the great site and I like the new look too!

Jack

I just wanted to say thank you to Satellite Guys.

I was re-called to active duty and am currently in Iraq. I read on Satellite Guys about the possibility of losing the distant networks this summer. I had a Dish 300 system I installed in 1998 with NY and LA locals and was able to hook up a 500 system before I was deployed. Since the shut off is going to happen, I'm glad I don't have to worry about my family back home being upset because of the advanced warning I had!

As a side note, I'm sure many of you would get a kick out of the satellite systems the locals have here in Iraq. You see mud huts with "dish farms" on the roof. Everything here is satellite, as a matter of fact I'm using satellite internet right now. Being here has got me more interested in FTA satellite systems. I might look into them when I get home.

Again thanks for the great site and I like the new look too!

Jack

Good to hear from you Jack.

Yesterday we had some people talking about losing their distant nets at that time.
Another poster who would appear to be an insider, mentioned that Dish Network started yesterday dropping distant net feeds from subscribers that also had a subscription to their locals.

It will take a while to shut all concerned down, and I guess this is how they have elected to start the process.

You may want to point out via e-mail to your parents that presently, distants have started to be dropped and locals remaining.

Where you are, are they using 120VAC and 60 cycle power or is it different?

Take care and have a safe tour. :up

Where you are, are they using 120VAC and 60 cycle power or is it different?

Everything here runs on generators. They are all 220 VAC but I think they are 60 Hz and not 50 Hz. The reason is because the alarm clocks we get in the PX are from Germany so they are 220 V but they all run fast so I assume the Hz is 60 and not 50? I could be wrong, but every clock I've seen here runs fast.

Even clocks from America on power converters to 120 v don't run right, so who knows? I don't have a multimeter...

I didn't have the locals until a few weeks ago so I think I'm on the chopping block.

Thanks all for the thoughts! It helps!

Last edited:
Everything here runs on generators. They are all 220 VAC but I think they are 60 Hz and not 50 Hz. The reason is because the alarm clocks we get in the PX are from Germany so they are 220 V but they all run fast so I assume the Hz is 60 and not 50? I could be wrong, but every clock I've seen here runs fast.

Even clocks from America on power converters to 120 v don't run right, so who knows? I don't have a multimeter...

I didn't have the locals until a few weeks ago so I think I'm on the chopping block.

Thanks all for the thoughts! It helps!

Talking about the clocks running fast, if I was over there dude, I'd run fast too! :D

I would like to say thank you for your willingness to serve our country. I know some people have been saying some bad stuff about you guys, but I want you to know there are still people out here who support you and are praying for you.

Be sure to look out for our own Goaliebob who is also over there in the sand box! (I understand hes got one hell of a FTA setup going over there!)

Be safe and thank you for your service!

My thoughts are with you- and all who serve our country-

Regardless of how they feel about the situation- everyone I know still supports you. Your safety is always in our hearts

from a military brat

Watch your back my friend, this enemy won't fight you eye to eye.
Stay safe and bring your brothers and sisters home safe, when your job is done.
From one Military family to your family. God Speed.
With out you, we wouldn't have the freedom to complain about our HD PQ!!!!
Than You for your service to our Great Country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)