That's right...TAMPA BAY is in 1st place in the AL East!!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
What the HELL is going on? The Rays AND the Marlins in 1st place??!!:yikes:yikes:yikes

Next thing you'll be telling me is that the New York Yankees are in ....last.....place....oh, they ARE in LAST PLACE!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Marlins really isn't that much of a surprise since they have won 2 World Series. The Rays though is a shocker somewhat. They have a good group of young players so it makes it more believable that they have done this.

You basically have to buy a World Series....
Honestly I know very little about baseball but in the pre-season I told my wife (a mets fan) that the Marlins looked like they were gonna try to make a run at the Series. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I think but then again we have barely started the season.

Tampa had stocked up on good, young players for years. The fact that Tampa Bay is playing well was bound to eventually happen.

For me, the real stunner is that the Orioles are over .500.

You basically have to buy a World Series....
Honestly I know very little about baseball but in the pre-season I told my wife (a mets fan) that the Marlins looked like they were gonna try to make a run at the Series. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I think but then again we have barely started the season.

Nope...the Marlins have proved that wrong already.....TWICE!

We're 40 games into a 160 game season. Let's keep things in perspective.

Even 4 games into the season with both Florida teams in first place would be a surprise. 40 games in is an absolute shocker.

For the perspective seekers amongst us, no, this doesn't guarantee either team will finish first, or even finish over .500...but it is amazing nonetheless.

Sandra

The Marlins proved that right twice. They purposely did it to prove a point. After the win they sold off the players and sucked again.

From what I recall, the Marlins did not have the highest payroll (or even close) when they won. They did have to sell off their stars to avoid their salaries escalating through the roof after their championships, but I don't think their payroll was anywhere near the Yankees, Red Sox or Mets even when they won.

Sandra

From what I recall, the Marlins did not have the highest payroll (or even close) when they won. They did have to sell off their stars to avoid their salaries escalating through the roof after their championships, but I don't think their payroll was anywhere near the Yankees, Red Sox or Mets even when they won.

Sandra

That may have been the 2nd time around, but their '97 team was referred to by many as "the Finest Team That Money Could Buy".

Sandra

Sandra, as usual, you are right on. While the '97 Marlins had a significant payroll, it paled in comparison to the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets. Immediately after winning the '97 Series the Marlins had a fire sale, losing such talents as Gary Sheffield, Devon White, Mike Brown, Bobby Bonilla, Moises Alou, and Charles Johnson. In 1998 they became the only team to ever lose over 100 games the year after a World Championship.

Tampa had stocked up on good, young players for years. The fact that Tampa Bay is playing well was bound to eventually happen.

For me, the real stunner is that the Orioles are over .500.

Agreed. Looks like there is some Orioles Magic right now. By the end of the season.....we shall see.

Anyone but the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East would be great though.

Keep your eyes on the Blue Jays (team I picked to win the AL East, and I'm a Red Sox fan). The Jays have by far the best pitching staff 1-11 in that division.

Keep your eyes on the Blue Jays (team I picked to win the AL East, and I'm a Red Sox fan). The Jays have by far the best pitching staff 1-11 in that division.

I know they're playing nice ball,

but Frank Thomas' release and Vernon Wells' injury could prove costly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)