The 12footer bites the dust!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Finally got around to taking the old rickety 12' Dark Star down today, it was a chore! I remembered it coming down easier the first time. Hated to do it, but it wasn't very reliable any more, mesh too big for ku. I discovered that it DID have a purpose though. I hope the pics gets re-sized lol.
#1 -You're tearing down MY house?
#2- Maybe if I'm very still, he'll leave this part up for me.

Attachments

• img_0001.jpg
    img_0001.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 283
  • img_0002.jpg
    img_0002.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 271
If you were closer, I would not mind having that dish. I would build it into a wall of one of the sheds! Of course, when I get the 10 footer up, it should get the one sat. I really want. Ah, but there is a second one I would like once in a while, but I may motorize.

1. how far north of me are you?

2. if the mesh is too big, couldn't you do something like cover the whole thing with aluminum foil?

No not really built that well, mostly plastic (the ribs were thick-but actually hollow and tended
to crack and break) and some bolts and screws lol. Worked out in its day i guess.
Pepper, I'm 30n of Bham, prob about 280 mi by I65. This thing kinda cracked up on the last
section so it wouldn't be worth driving for, except for some parts maybe, just too many cracks in
the ribs for it to ever be stable. I've had it since about 1993 or 94 lol. I have sev c-band dishes so its no loss. Except to the anole inhabitants, they'll just move over to the 10'footer.

BUD 'n da Lizard Ranch

I see 'em suckin' their bellies down to that warm black surface.
Bet it gets nice, with the sun on it.

As you say, they'll relocate.
Just remember to have a bit of moisture available for 'em when it gets hot.

Yep it was a cooler day yesterday for us, around 70 so they really enjoyed their last do on it.
Or maybe not, right now its stacked in piles in the back yard until I get time to move it further to the boneyard.

Dark Star

Finally got around to taking the old rickety 12' Dark Star down today, it was a chore! I remembered it coming down easier the first time. Hated to do it, but it wasn't very reliable any more, mesh too big for ku. I discovered that it DID have a purpose though. I hope the pics gets re-sized lol.
#1 -You're tearing down MY house?
#2- Maybe if I'm very still, he'll leave this part up for me.

That was the problem with those dishes cracks and the weight issues. They were hard on the actuators.

That was the problem with those dishes cracks and the weight issues. They were hard on the actuators.
you mean the actuator is hard on them? :D
most acuators can move at least 400 pounds, seen some that move 1700 pounds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)