The 2009-2010 College Basketball on Multi-Sports Pack Thread

That's odd! I live in Wisconsin but it's a replay for christsakes!

I think I know why you are blacked out. It is because you are in Wisconsin. Time Warner Cable sports ch 32 has the rights to the Marquette game. They force SNY to black it out. SNY has Big East rights but only in NY metro area. SNY would not be blacked out outside Wisconsin, though.

The same thing happens in upsate NY with Syracuse. Time Warner Cable sports-26 has the rights to Syracuse in Upstate NY. Even though SNY is carried on most Time Warner cable systems upstate, they black out SNY when Syracuse plays on TWC-26. The only way around it is to get ESPN FULL court . SNY will probably carry a lot of Marquette BIG East games but they will be blacked out in Time Warner Wiconsin.
Being a Syracuse and Big East fan living in Florida is great. With Dish sports, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and Multi Sports Pak. I get almost every Big East game on SNY, MASN, and Altitude without blackout. No need for FuLL Court.

I am in the Madison market, I don't even get the Marquette games on cable or sat. Time Warner isn't even the cable company. Makes no sense why I am blacked out.

The NC Central/Miami is blacked out but the Stetson/Florida isn't tomorrow LOL.

Florida is in the SEC, and their blackout policies have been greatly relaxed this year. The ACC, however, is living in the dark ages, pun intended.

Last edited:
I was hoping my father can get the Virginia game from the sports pak on Directv without blackouts. He wants to follow Dick Bennett's son Tony.

There were less games on Saturday due to college football, but of the three games available on RSNs, I received two out of three:

NC Central at Miami was blacked out on Sun Sports.

I plan to have end of week reports on Sunday nights showing the percentage of games in the clear on RSNs, the number of Full Court games, and the number of Full Court Games which you can get in the clear with the Multi-Sports Pack.

Full Court can really be ass backwards, they will carry a game from FSN-Rocky Mountain which we already get in the sports pak then they will leave out a game from SUN Sports and we're blacked out entirely.

I think I know why you are blacked out. It is because you are in Wisconsin. Time Warner Cable sports ch 32 has the rights to the Marquette game. They force SNY to black it out. SNY has Big East rights but only in NY metro area. SNY would not be blacked out outside Wisconsin, though.

The same thing happens in upsate NY with Syracuse. Time Warner Cable sports-26 has the rights to Syracuse in Upstate NY. Even though SNY is carried on most Time Warner cable systems upstate, they black out SNY when Syracuse plays on TWC-26. The only way around it is to get ESPN FULL court . SNY will probably carry a lot of Marquette BIG East games but they will be blacked out in Time Warner Wiconsin.
Being a Syracuse and Big East fan living in Florida is great. With Dish sports, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and Multi Sports Pak. I get almost every Big East game on SNY, MASN, and Altitude without blackout. No need for FuLL Court.

Marty43,

AWESOME explanation here. This is one of the reasons I wanted to start this thread. I'm hoping we can make it extremely useful for college basketball fans who are trying to figure out if they want to get the Multi-Sports Pack, Full Court, or both. We can also cover local reasons why someone might get blacked out that doesn't apply to the rest of us.

I was hoping my father can get the Virginia game from the sports pak on Directv without blackouts. He wants to follow Dick Bennett's son Tony.

Here is my situation in central Florida (Polk co.). Tonights game Virginia vs South Florida is being broadcast on Bright House cable in Tampa area. It is also on Full Court but blacked out for me. But with Dish SportsPak it is available to me in clear on SNY and MASN. So without sports pak I would not be able to see the game, unless I subscribed to BrightHouse cable.

Summary of results for the week of November 9 - 15, 2009:

Total RSN Games: 22
Games in the Clear: 14
Games Blacked Out: 8
% in the Clear: 63.64%
Total Full Court Games: 6
Full Court Games in the Clear on RSNs: 2
Full Court Games Only Available on Full Court: 4

Most of the blacked out games were hosted by ACC teams, although there were a few Kansas State games blacked out for me. I'll be doing this summary each week and keeping a running season long tab as we go.

why in the hell is UC irvine/Loyola blacked out Wed 11/18 at 10pm cst on Prime-Ticket?

This appears to be why:

Are WCC men's basketball regional telecasts subject to blackout?
Yes. All conference games, as well as non-conference games hosted by WCC schools at a home facility or otherwise, cannot be distributed via cable or satellite outside the "WCC Territory" (defined as the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington or Wyoming) unless televised by the ESPN family of networks. These requirements are consistent with other major conferences for which ESPN serves as the exclusive national home for men's basketball. The blackout does not apply to games made available to ESPN Full Court and/or ESPN360 by the conference and regional television outlet.

I hadn't realized the WCC does this. I can somewhat understand the ACC blacking out games outside of their region because they will be popular no matter what and ACC teams appear nationally a ridiculous number of times. However, a mid-major conference like the WCC has absolutely nothing to gain by this other than getting onto almighty ESPN 30-odd times a year.

I almost wish several of the better mid-major hoops conferences would get together to either negotiate a deal and/or start their own TV network which would be available on satellite sports packs ala the Big Ten Network. As many have said before and as many will say in the future, blackout rules are ridiculous. They only seem to benefit corporate entities like ESPN. In this case, people who enjoy WCC basketball but who live outside of some arbitrary "WCC territory" get blacked out and have zero way to watch this game legally. Stupid. :rant:

The reason for the Big 12 - FSN blackouts are because those third-tier games are only supposed to be available within the states where the competing schools reside. So a K-State game should only be available in Kansas (KC market also gets them because it bleeds into Kansas). The games used to not be on Full Court if they were on FSN regionally, they have been the past 2-3 years.

As for the WCC blackout, that sucks. The Big West is having the same blackouts enforced on their FSN games. Was the Gonzaga game on Saturday blacked out?

The reason for the Big 12 - FSN blackouts are because those third-tier games are only supposed to be available within the states where the competing schools reside. So a K-State game should only be available in Kansas (KC market also gets them because it bleeds into Kansas). The games used to not be on Full Court if they were on FSN regionally, they have been the past 2-3 years.

As for the WCC blackout, that sucks. The Big West is having the same blackouts enforced on their FSN games. Was the Gonzaga game on Saturday blacked out?

Nope, it was on FSN-NW.

Thanks Matt. I suspected it might be that third tier rule, which I only vaguely understood until now. I was thrown off because I have been getting the Missouri games on Fox Sports Midwest even though I live in Illinois. I guess because I am considered part of the St. Louis market I get those Missouri games in the clear.

Good point also about Gonzaga. I wonder why that game was not blacked out. Does Gonzaga get some sort of special treatment?

Thanks Matt. I suspected it might be that third tier rule, which I only vaguely understood until now. I was thrown off because I have been getting the Missouri games on Fox Sports Midwest even though I live in Illinois. I guess because I am considered part of the St. Louis market I get those Missouri games in the clear.

Good point also about Gonzaga. I wonder why that game was not blacked out. Does Gonzaga get some sort of special treatment?

Last year, a few people noticed that the only WCC games where blackouts were applied were LMU games, including a game at UCLA that was blacked out.

I wonder if blackouts are done via keyword at times and if "Loyola Marymount" was part of the title, it got that treatment.

Fitzie,

Thanks for the support.

hallrk, Thanks for the info! I've noticed that too. Obviously we are both probably wondering if they are not blacked out only because they are exhibition games. I agree that the blackout free SEC football season definitely gives us cause for hope, at least for SEC Network produced games. I'm more worried about the FSN and CSS produced SEC games on FS Florida, Sun, and FS South. I'm thinking those are probably still blacked out and I'll have to watch on ESPN360.com.

SEC games have been in the clear thus far here in the DC area. UK's game last night was black out free and Florida's was on Sunday. So far no black out has been posted for UK's games on Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. The only games I have noticed in DC area blacked out are Big 12 games. Specifically Missouri's on FSN Midwest. I will keep checking for games blacked out. I'm really happy the SEC hasn't been so far. :)

The spreadsheet is updated through the evening of November 17. Interestingly, the Fairfield versus Maryland game is NOT blacked out. Is this because it is produced by Comcast rather than Raycom or a Fox Sports RSN?

There have been some good games tonight. Hofstra almost took out UConn. Oklahoma is struggling with Louisiana-Monroe. Gonzaga has been playing Michigan State tough in East Lansing. I'm looking forward to watching my Illini via ESPN360.com replay tonight after the other games are essentially over as well. College hoops ios well underway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts