The 811 OTA Digital Channel Mapping Issue

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
I have noticed that this issue only happens to 2 of our many digital station in here in Dallas. It very consistently loses mapping of 18->21 and 19->11. All the other channels stay in place. If I didn't have a Samsung OTA receiver that didn't lose the mapping, I'd probably assume that it is just those two stations not broadcasting their info properly.

Thoughts?

I still have a problem -- really 2 problems -- with one of my digital stations. The station (39) is broadcasting 3 programs. Doing a scan or a manual add will get all three and properly map them to 6-1, 6-2 and 6-3. They will appear that way in the guide until I select one of them and then return to the guide. Now they are 39-1 and 39-2, so I have lost the remap and one of the stations!! :(

Craig

hhunton said:
I live in the D/FW metroplex and my 811 also has the same mapping problem.

So... same behavior, just 18 and 19 losing their mapping?

Same problem in St. Louis... 56 -> 4 and 31 -> 30 will not map properly. I wish there was a way to manually do it.

811 w/ P264LABD-N -> Top 3 Software bugs that I wish someone at dish had the brains to fix.
SF Bay Area.
OTA bugs.
1. Cannot keep channels 57.1 (maps to 4.1) or 49.2 (maps to 48.2). Add to DTV. Save. Add to favorites. View channel. Channel is removed from favorites and DTV channel list. The strength meter for each of these channels indicates over 80% signal strength.
2. EPG reloads. Sure they are faster, but I still get them when surfing the locals (I have a favorites list of just DTV locals.)
3. The previous channel button will not go from OTA to the previous channel.

I am also in DFW and lose the mapping of the same two only (18->21 and 19->11). The 811 is improved, but still needs work.

Also the fix to the VCR programming only seems to work if the receiver is left with the power on.

I'm in Frisco and have the same problem. Also, PBS Digital is the only station to give me problems when trying to lock. I get everything else with a "big ugly antenna" in my attic at 80% to 92% lock.

Same problem In Central MO, station # is 13, broadcasting on Digital 12. 811 gets confused and displays 13-01 and wont lock on, then after hours of messing with it, it locks on 012-01 as it's suppose too.

Won't pick up others as well

waja said:
811 w/ P264LABD-N -> Top 3 Software bugs that I wish someone at dish had the brains to fix.
SF Bay Area.
OTA bugs.
1. Cannot keep channels 57.1 (maps to 4.1) or 49.2 (maps to 48.2). Add to DTV. Save. Add to favorites. View channel. Channel is removed from favorites and DTV channel list. The strength meter for each of these channels indicates over 80% signal strength.
2. EPG reloads. Sure they are faster, but I still get them when surfing the locals (I have a favorites list of just DTV locals.)
3. The previous channel button will not go from OTA to the previous channel.

I get the 4->57 deal, but 48 stays put at 48. However, 9 "unmaps" to 30, and 66->34, as well.

Also, do you notice that UPN44 doesn't even show 44 as its PSIP channel? It shows no channel number, when you enter 45 in the Add Digital screen. It seems they may not be broadcasting a PSIP channel number.

EPG: While it has certainly improved with the 44 hour cache and instant PIP, it has several new bugs:
1. It has to reload after viewing OTA.
2. It has to reload after power has been off for a while.
3. Sometimes it lists multiple instances of OTA channels in the main EPG. (Not to be confused with the multiple OTA DTV channels in the "second-level" guide.) Refreshing clears it.
4. When scrolling up or down, it will continue after I release the button.
5. Sometimes the info, channel order, etc is completely out of whack.

I am in SoCal and I am still seeing CBS get mapped to channel 60 rather than channel 2. When CBS is orginally configured it shows up in the 2 slot but then moves on the next GUIDE refresh. This also occurs with Channel 9 (KCAL). Funny thing with channel 9 is it actually appeared briefly as channel 2 before moving to it home at channel 43.

Looks like Dish has still more work on the mapping side of things to be sure.

GaryPen said:
I get the 4->57 deal, but 48 stays put at 48. However, 9 "unmaps" to 30, and 66->34, as well.

Also, do you notice that UPN44 doesn't even show 44 as its PSIP channel? It shows no channel number, when you enter 45 in the Add Digital screen. It seems they may not be broadcasting a PSIP channel number.

EPG: While it has certainly improved with the 44 hour cache and instant PIP, it has several new bugs:
1. It has to reload after viewing OTA.
2. It has to reload after power has been off for a while.
3. Sometimes it lists multiple instances of OTA channels in the main EPG. (Not to be confused with the multiple OTA DTV channels in the "second-level" guide.) Refreshing clears it.
4. When scrolling up or down, it will continue after I release the button.
5. Sometimes the info, channel order, etc is completely out of whack.

I find that KQED seems to drop it's PSIP when they go to HD programming at 8PM. It will keep 9.1, etc until they drop 9.3,4,5 at 8PM and then the 811 maps to 30.1 and 30.2.

Bobby said:
I find that KQED seems to drop it's PSIP when they go to HD programming at 8PM. It will keep 9.1, etc until they drop 9.3,4,5 at 8PM and then the 811 maps to 30.1 and 30.2.

I notice this as well ... I'm in the the east bay.

GaryPen said:
I get the 4->57 deal, but 48 stays put at 48.
I also see that KRON also gets mapped to 57and not to 4 ... could this be a KRON issue instead of an 811 issue? Channel 48 also stays put on my 811.

yrac said:
I notice this as well ... I'm in the the east bay.

I also see that KRON also gets mapped to 57and not to 4 ... could this be a KRON issue instead of an 811 issue? Channel 48 also stays put on my 811.

On my 6000, KRON would revert to 57-1 anytime I entered 57-2. I would go into my DTV channel setup and remove 4-2 and that fixed it. The 811 doesn't do the same thing. It just goes to 57-1 anytime.

Bobby said:

Are you saying that KQED only unmaps after 8pm for you? It may be the same for me. I never timed it. It always seemed random to me, but certainly didn't happen as often as 4->57, which is always the first time I choose it after the Add Digital process.

Does everybody in the Bay Area notice UPN44 doesn't have a PSIP?

Oh yeah. Speaking of 811 P264 channel mapping bugs, does anyone else notice that the "Display Locals" option (or whatever it's called) reverts to "Show OTA Locals" when hitting "Save" on the main local channels page, after adding a channel? It's really annoying having to go back in and change it to Show Dish Locals all the time. (It only ADDS to annoooooying process of re-adding KRON, KQED, et al, trying to get them to map correctly.)

GaryPen said:
Are you saying that KQED only unmaps after 8pm for you? It may be the same for me. I never timed it. It always seemed random to me, but certainly didn't happen as often as 4->57, which is always the first time I choose it after the Add Digital process.

Does everybody in the Bay Area notice UPN44 doesn't have a PSIP?

Oh yeah. Speaking of 811 P264 channel mapping bugs, does anyone else notice that the "Display Locals" option (or whatever it's called) reverts to "Show OTA Locals" when hitting "Save" on the main local channels page, after adding a channel? It's really annoying having to go back in and change it to Show Dish Locals all the time. (It only ADDS to annoooooying process of re-adding KRON, KQED, et al, trying to get them to map correctly.)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying about 8PM. UPN44 never had PSIP showing 44 only 45 and no KBHK. Yes the Display Locals option is a pain.

GaryPen said:

This only happens if you add a name for the channel. If you leave it blank, then you get the warning message. If you save it anyway, The "Display Locals" option doesn't change.

And now another problem. My local PBS station is broadcasting on 3 carriers, but only 2 show up with either a manual or auto scan. Is this as common as I'm beginning to think?

Craig