Status
Not open for further replies.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
just wanted to start a topic on it and others can vent, but most people are probably using firefox, I tried it had problems, but this stupid activex crap on IE might drie me backl

If you mean that you hate ActiveX while using IE, you can disable it, if you don't know how, post here, and I will post step-by-step on how to disable it in IE, if this is not what you meant, could you clarify?

I too hate IE, but I work for several mortgage companies, and IE is a must to use certain sites administration interfaces (MLS, GMAC, WAMU, etc etc etc), which I use to deal out credentials for loan officers, processors, and underwriters, etc. For everything else, Firefox works great.

What I do, is use firefox with the IETab plugin, which allows you to use IEs engine within a Firefox Tab (some sites when viewed this way make firefox cry(crash though).

Also the mortgage origination software my clients use (Encompass) uses embedded IE (along with .NET), so, IE is hard to get away from at work, but at home, for non-work, I use elinks (linux) for 99% of my web browsing.

Since I only go into the office 2 times a week (the rest I can do from home), my main client had to BUY me a machine (a deduction for them anyways) for home with WindowsXP on it, because I refused to install windows on any of my linux cluster nodes (partly because encompass and XP would run like crap on any of the nodes (sans my master node)).

IE has been sending out an update since march that prompts the user to click to allow the active x on websites that don't haven't coded in some new correct way. So what you get is a hovering box around flash and such items that use the embed tag etc...

I guess you haven't gotten the update yet, I got it easter sunday.,,

Do you mean it complains about it not being a signed activeX?

If so, that functionality has always existed (btw, I am fully patched), what might have happend is either, a patch changed the ActiveX options, or somone else did on accident, atm, it seems like you are set to Prompt Me for unsigned ActiveX controls, you can change this in options.

If you mean something else, I have not noticed this on any of the 200 odd systems I am responsible fro keeping upto date (which I do) and trust me when I say, if something like that started to happen to my users, I would have been flooded with emails about it. :)

Tools menu->Select Internet Options->Click the Securty Tab->left click on the Internet (zone) icon within the Security Tab->Click on the button below that says custom Level-> then look for the section towards the top that says "ActiveX Controls and Plugins", your issue is within that group, something is set to prompt instaed of Allow or Disable.

BTW, and FWIW, my ActiveX settings in there are all set to disable, I then put my work sites that require ActiveX in my Trusted Zones, that way AX works only where/when I want.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
oh yeah you're probably right that can get it to go away. I think the update caused more things to require prompting...

Yeah my setting for download signed active x was set on prompt. I set to enable, let's see if that works.

Cool, let me know if it worked (or not).

BTW, resetting to "Prompt Me" can also happen if someone accidently (or purposly) clicked on the "Default Level" button located next to the "Custom Level" button, or the "Reset Web Settings" in the tool menu, though both methods prompt for confirmation first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts