The ANSWER to last night's HD Poll

You know like the supperbowl....anything on my CBS and NBC stations my PS3 and 360......as well as BD/HDDVD.
Are you suggesting that your local NBC and CBS are broadcasting in 1080p ?? If so, without even knowing what stations you're referring to, I'll still say you're wrong.

I don't have sales figures but I do know that around christmas all of the HDTV sets that Walmart was selling out of (at about 10-20 per store on black friday) were 1080i capable but still only had 480p resolutions so were merely EDTVs with a sign that said HDTV Ready so I wouldn't say that most of the HDTVs sold this year were 1080p when most consumers don't know the difference between EDTV and HDTV to begin with.

I wonder what true 1080p shows those true 1080p display owners are watching and from where?

Get real, a majority of sets sold last year were not 1080p sets. 1080i capable yes.

This argument is getting old and sounds like Best Buy jibberish.

There are several hundred 1080p movies available on Blu-ray and HD-DVD. And if you think Starz HD looks good at 4Mbps with mpeg4, just imagine how good the Blu-ray movies running above 30 Mbps with mpeg4 look.

1080p is a misnomer, as is 1080i.

1080i sets have resolutions LESS than 1080i, usually an odd number.

1080p sets all have resolutions of 1920x1080 but most do not accept 1080p signals and if they do its through certain inputs.

Most people I know bought HD TV's this year. Out of the 10 people I know who bought one, I am the only one to buy a 1080p unit(Samsung 61" DLP).

All I care about is that HD is transmitted in 1920x1080.

I want the TV to be able to have the info to display in its true native resolution.

CBS HD OTA is amazing.

I doubt we'll see a true 1080p signals anytime soon anywhere, but I'd be perfectly happy with a 1920x1080 signal.

Are you suggesting that your local NBC and CBS are broadcasting in 1080p ?? If so, without even knowing what stations you're referring to, I'll still say you're wrong.

No, I am saying the my local CBS,NBC and CW all broadcast in 1080i. Which, when deinterlaced properly by a full 1080p microdisplay (AKA fixed pixel) or a video proesser is directly equal to (frame for frame) 1080p.

1) There was a home theater mag article that reviewed several different 1080 and 720 big screen tvs of different technologies. If memory serves me, his results listed several TVs were not using the full 1920x1080 signal and in fact only using the first 540 and doubling up the lines (540 * 2 = 1080) and droping the second 540 lines.

2) Currently Panasonic has a commerical 1080p 50" plasma, SONY, Sharp have 1080p LCDs (with 1080p input)...while JVC currently has a 1080p LCD display, but only with a 1080i input.

3) Would be nice to know whether the local OTA signal are true 1920x1080, though there is talk that they are not sending the full 1920x1080 (maybe 1440x1080, etc) and using the rest for other channels and/or private communications.

4) Hope E* will swap out my 6000 some day for free (not to lease). 6000 still going strong, but the OTA receiver is not as good in my cheap LCD TV tuner.....

Anyone that can sit here and say with a straight face that more 1080p sets sold last year vs. 1080i just doesn't know wha they're talking about.

If you actually shopped around, you'd have found that of the affordable sets in the $2000-$3000 range (i.e. the ones most people are buying) very few were genuine 1080p sets.

Fact.

blu-ray and hd-dvd are pretty much it.

HD-DVD is 1080i
Blue-Ray is 1080p
That's why Sony advertises themselves as the only true HD Dvd.

I haven't researched sales statistics, but most HD plasmas and HD LCD tv's to the average consumers are 720P at the popular price points. They all seem to jump on the advertising bandwagon though by saying they will display a 1080i or 1080p. Of course, they just downrez to 720p.

My understanding is that anything that uses a chip and a lamp is a microdisplay. that covers a lot of territory. CRTs are clearly not in that group but many other technologies are.

I believe PDPs are microdisplays also- no lamp.

Okay, to get picky, most of those "720p" LCD panels really come with 768 vertical pixels and instead of 1280 horizontal, most have 1366 pixels. And does TI really make a true 1920x1080 DLP chip? It's probably "wobbling" to give the appearance of being 1920 pixels wide...

Last edited:
I understood the argument you were making Scott.

Most HDTV's in real people's homes display at a resolution of 1366 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1024 x 720, or something similar (flat panel lcd's and plasma's at least). CRT sets can display a full resolution of 1920 x 1080. Most of the sets in people's homes will *accept* a 1080i signal but will only be able to display it *obviously* at the resolution that the television can output.

1080p is great but it is not the norm, it did not sell nearly as many as was quoted, and the average joe who bought a flat panel for christmas didn't get one.

Are people really buying 1080i displays??

I spent 2 years researching HDTV's and in early November 2006 I bought a RPCRT Hitachi TV.

These sets have the best picture you can get, better blacks, better color rendition, better picture overall than ANY plasma, LCD, IDLA or DLP set (although they are getting better).

CRT's are still the more mature technology and thus still give the better picture and definitely give the BEST picture per dollar (paid <$1200 for a 57" RPCRT).

Admittedly they still must be reconverged slightly every 3-4 months, but I am capable of spending a couple of hours 3 times a year for the excellent picture I get.

My prevoius HDTV was a SONY D-50Q CRT projector which gave me a 7 foot picture on the wall. Marvelous picture, but had to have a darkened room.

You just can't beat a CRT for accurately reproducing images. I know they are going away because of their bulk and having to be converged, and it is a pitty.

Just to throw something in on the 1080i/1080p question... all digital displays are natively progressive only CRT displays are interlaced. The only difference in 1080i and 1080p is the p does not have to be de-interlaceds before display. And NO 1080i signal can be de-interlaced to create a perfect 1080p inage because of the time interval between the two 540 line frames that make up the 1080 line image.

Last edited:
HD-DVD is 1080i
Blue-Ray is 1080p
That's why Sony advertises themselves as the only true HD Dvd.

I haven't researched sales statistics, but most HD plasmas and HD LCD tv's to the average consumers are 720P at the popular price points. They all seem to jump on the advertising bandwagon though by saying they will display a 1080i or 1080p. Of course, they just downrez to 720p.

What???? Where do you get that HD DVD is 1080i???

Not True, HD DVD is up to 1080p 24/fps.

source: http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

There are several hundred 1080p movies available on Blu-ray and HD-DVD. And if you think Starz HD looks good at 4Mbps with mpeg4, just imagine how good the Blu-ray movies running above 30 Mbps with mpeg4 look.

Great go and buy those players and movies. I could careless.
Most of those movies suck anyways.

The point is that the shows now currently broadcast in HD from Dish look better than they have been.

I was watching Giada on Food Network today and then swithed to the local news in HD and both looked stunning. (Although the weather lady here on channel 8 looks like Tony Danza :D )

Please, first it was a poll discussion, then HD-Lite, now its HD-DVD vs. Blue Ray.

Get a life, is the picture better or not? I say its better.

He might be right. It surprises me but when I do searches I get a lot of sources ttaht say that the DDS are 1080p but the player outputs at 1080i

Here is one http://www.digital-digest.com/highdefdvd/faq.html#faq406

"4.6 What resolution will the video on a movie HD DVD be?

HD DVD resolution will follow the standard HD resolution standards currently used for HDTV transmissions. This means, at least for the present, the maximum output resolution will be 1080i (see below for updated information on this issue), or 1920x1080 in interlaced format only (not many displays can support 1080p, and even less can resolve or display the full 1080 lines - more information in section A.2). There is also 720p resolution (1280x720, progressive), which is the current native resolution of many home theatre displays, and also SD resolution support, similar to today's DVDs.

The lack of 1080p support was something that even supporters of HD DVD are complaining about. At the time movies were to be stored in 1080i format, even if 1080p output in players were planned to be supported in the future - requiring a bit of de-interlacing to produce a progressive picture, as opposed to BD's progressive source.

But the situation has since changed. In an interview with Microsoft in the Audioholics magazine in January 2006 indicated that HD DVD movies will be stored in 1080p format like BD, even if initial players can only output at 1080i. You can read the full interview here.

So far, all of the HD DVD movie releases have been in 1080p as promised. One of the reason for the lack of 1080p HD DVD players seemed to have been the lack of HDMI 1.3 specifications at the time of launch (the interview above seems to refer to this as well). This does not seem to be true as 1080p is supported by all version of HDMI (Dolby and DTS's lossless audio, on the other hand, is only supported by HDMI 1.3). The reasons for the lack of 1080p HD DVD hardware is that the Broadcom chip used is limited to 1080i output. In fact, Samsung's first Blu-ray player also uses the same chip and then uses another chip to de-interlace the 1080i signal produced by the Broadcom chip to 1080p.

The actual quality difference between 1080i and 1080p is actually an active debate, since it has to take into account various factors such as the source material, the native resolution of the display, and even the de-interlacer. For more information, please refer to section A.2."

then again I see sources that say that both PLAYERS are 1080p. I am not sure at all now.

Last edited:
Okay, to get picky, most of those "720p" LCD panels really come with 768 vertical pixels and instead of 1280 horizontal, most have 1366 pixels. And does TI really make a true 1920x1080 DLP chip? It's probably "wobbling" to give the appearance of being 1920 pixels wide...
The wobbulator may not have 1920x 1080 mirrors but the frame or picture is on the screen at 1920x1080p pixels.or spots if you will.

What???? Where do you get that HD DVD is 1080i???

Not True, HD DVD is up to 1080p 24/fps.

source: http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/

That source said that the discs are 1080p. While this makes no sense to me the sites that claim Hd DVD is 1080i are sating that the sotware is 1080i bit the players produce 1080p. I am not sure that i believe that but it seems to be the argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)