The At&t might buy out Bell south next

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/121905-bellsouth.html?t5&story=121905-bellsouth

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/70636

Many in the telecom industry expect the new AT&T - the carrier formed from the merger of the old AT&T and SBC - to continue to acquire companies and assets. One target that is named frequently is BellSouth , a prospect that inevitably would raise regulatory and antitrust concerns.

AT&T would like to gain tighter, if not full control of Cingular Wireless, which it jointly owns with BellSouth. AT&T recently disclosed that it plans to market its Cingular wireless service under the AT&T brand.

Some analysts view this as a precursor to a more significant event that would bring all businesses and brands under one roof, a prospect some on Wall Street find attractive, because wireless has overtaken wireline as the growth market in telecom.

"Joint ventures don't last forever," says Tim Horan, a telecom services analyst at CIBC World Markets. "It makes sense to have things change one way or the other."

AT&T and BellSouth declined to comment.

Horan says a merger makes more sense than a breakup. AT&T Chairman Ed Whitacre is no wilting violet when it comes to big deals. He did, after all, acquire AT&T for $16 billion while he was head of SBC.

"Wall Street has been giving the new AT&T strong recommendations," says Judy Reed Smith, CEO of market tracker Atlantic-ACM. "If they feel confident in their growth and in this purchase that they've just completed, then I can see that Whitacre might go for one more."

Before the AT&T acquisition, SBC, under Whitacre, acquired a series of Bell operating companies - including Pacific Telesis and Ameritech - to form a much larger SBC. And last year, Whitacre helped pull together Cingular's $41 million acquisition of AT&T Wireless.

He might like the prospects of picking up BellSouth, which in addition to creating brand unity, would add residential and business customers in BellSouth's nine-state territory in the Southeast, as well as national and international business customers from AT&T's global presence.

"They get a bigger footprint on the access side and control of Cingular, and they can integrate things a little bit easier," Horan says. "There's no real overlap."

But other observers believe such a union will face almost insurmountable regulatory and antitrust hurdles.

"As attractive as this would be to a lot of people, it just seems to me like right now this is going to have some formidable barriers to it," says Thomas Nolle, president of consultancy CIMI. "It's hard for me to believe that this is something that could happen quickly." Continued

If they buy out Bell South maybe they will upgrade where we're to DSL. Bell South is taking there merry time.

Didn't the government break up these monopolistic bastards a few years or a decade ago? Now they are merging together as one again like the oil companies have since they broke up Standard Oil.

Roger said:
Didn't the government break up these monopolistic bastards a few years or a decade ago? Now they are merging together as one again like the oil companies have since they broke up Standard Oil.

I was just thinking the same thing. Next they will buy Bell Atlantic/Verizon and they will be right back where they were 20 years ago.

Roger said:

They broke up the original AT&T into seven region bells: Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, BellSouth, NYNEX, Pacific Telesis Group, Southwestern Bell Corporation, and US West

Through mergers and acquisitions, those have been narrowed to just four. Southwestern Bell shortened its name to SBC. Ameritech and Pacific Telesis (also known as PacBell) were acquired by SBC. SBC subsequently acquired the remnants of the original AT&T and took the AT&T name. NYNEX merged with Bell Atlantic to create Verizon. US West was acquired by Qwest (not a baby bell). BellSouth is the only baby bell that hasn't merged or been acquired by another company...yet.

It breaks down to:
Ameritech+Pacific+Southwestern Bell+Remnants of AT&T=The New AT&T
NYNEX+Bell Atlantic=Verizon
Qwest + US West=Qwest
BellSouth

Last edited:
Very well stated chaddux.

I have finally found someone that realizes how the phone companies all split and some have merged again.

Someone earlier said something about SBC buying Verizon to complete the cycle, I don't believe that will happen, seeing they are the 2 biggest phone companies in the US, one won't sell out to the other. JMO

Jimbo

Ahh what makes anyone think AT&T will be a success?

Look at the history of the brand. Its one big loser....

Anything AT&T related tended to crash, look at the purchase of TCI as a example.

Buy high, destroy then sell for a pittance....

Incidently mega brands can be great or terrible.

Take Sprint for me, whatr a worthless company.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING CARRYING THAT BRAND NAME EVER AGAIN!

sucky ripoff. live by the brand die by the brand....

Bob Haller said:
Ahh what makes anyone think AT&T will be a success?
Look at the history of the brand. Its one big loser....
Anything AT&T related tended to crash, look at the purchase of TCI as a example.
Buy high, destroy then sell for a pittance....
Incidently mega brands can be great or terrible.
Take Sprint for me, whatr a worthless company.
I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING CARRYING THAT BRAND NAME EVER AGAIN!
sucky ripoff. live by the brand die by the brand....
umm Bob The AT&T brand is over 150 years old its not exactly a loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)