The Cars that Ate Paris

rollerfink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Detroit
hahahah ah ahah ah ah aah the early Peter Weir film (1974) The Cars that Ate Paris was on one of the cinema 10 channels the other day.

I watched the beginning just to see what it was like and I got totally hooked.

I give it 4 stars out of 5 but be prepared for a totally bizarre movie.

The transfer is pretty good but I don't know much about that kind of stuff.

It was OAR, which was nice.

Don't be fooled by the title, the cars don't eat anybody and it's set in rural australia (in a town called Paris) rather than in France.

The story is about a small town that survives by causing visitors to crash their cars. The townsfolk then get all the stuff from the crash victims and crashed cars and distribute it to people in the town. Plus, a crazy doctor does experiements on the crash victims who survive. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the kids in the town who terrorize the town by driving round in their pieced together and wildly decorated cars and revving their engines angrily. ahah ahah ah ahah ah oh god.

So one crash victim is this timid guy (the protagonist of the movie) whose brother dies and he is left stranded in the town. He is deathly afraid of cars, which doesn't help matters. He is taken in by the crazy mayor of the town. He tries to get away but fails. I won't give away the ending.

The direction and cinematogrophy are really outstanding -- early indication of Weir's talent.

The best scene is a pioneer's ball that they have. One guy has a big straw hat on and a sheet with a sign that says "Chinaman" and another guy has blackface (probably vegemite spread across his face) and his sign says "early aboriginal." And a bunch of the mental patients (the ones the doctor experiments on) attend the event with all kinds of bandages and whatnot on. One guy has a cereal box on his head. haha hhah ahah great scene.

I guess the message of the movie is that regular folk can get sucked in to all kinds of crazy things if they don't question them (Vietnam war anyone?). And that if you have no morals your kids are going to be screwed up (and put spikes on their VW bugs). Another theme is that small towns are really f**ked up.

I really enjoyed this movie through all of its strangeness. Check out the product placement/advertising spoof in the beginning with a couple smoking cigarettes and drinking coke and then violently crashing their car.

I'm pretty sure everyone else will hate this movie though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)