The Dish Network Install from Hell

SoMDStargazer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
I've just been through what can only be termed a true" cluster-you know what" of a Dish network insallation. Oh my god! :rant:

The installer lied to me repeatedly from trying to convince me that rca jacks and coax cables would deliver HD to my HD TVs, drilled through the front brick work of my $650K home (and left the hole unsealed), changed my work order without my permission!!!!. And made promises that he didn't even try to fill.

Trouble started this morning when the office called me to tell me the intended installer's car broke down at 11:55 am for an 8-12am install. The installer got here at 4pm and didn't leave until after 7pm. I spent from 7 - 9:10 pm on the phone with Dish customer service trying to salvage the whole situation.

Let's just say, I'm not too happy wih the E* experience so far.

There is a whole lot to add to this but I'm too angry to write it all down just yet but will fill in some additional information later.

The location I dealt with was the Lanham/Baltimore location (Maryland) the installer told me he was from Albania, his English was barely understandable and I think most of the problems centered around this and his total disregard for honesty.

The Dish customer service rep tried to give me some slack but was overuled by her supervisors after she made a deal to add another reciever. They wanted me to pay another $150 for a reciever to fix the problems the installer left which I would not agree to do.

Then I was assured that the bad installation would be fixed but when I get transferred to thier installation quality assurance department I was told to go F* myself because I signed the work order and that no supervisors were avialable after 3:30 MST. I will be calling them back

Now I know part of all this is my fault, I should have not signed the papers the installer shoved into my face and lied that they were just for the recievers without reading, them but everytime I startd to read them he would move them and kept pointing to where to sign.

I should have continued to watch him like a hawk instead of walking away when we had agreed that he would be running the line in from the outside through the basement and then to my office instead of straight through my wall in front of my house, but come on!

Is this enought to not go with Dish? Probaly not, but be warned, the installation is a full time job on your part and cannot be minimized ot trusted to be carried out properly.

Also thanks to thos who answered my urgent message earlier today re the HD signal.

More later.

Last edited:
Sorry you had trouble. NEVER sign the work order if you are unhappy. I know that doesn't help you now.

As Bob said, an email to ceo will probably get your issue resolved.

Guys thank you for that insight, that suggestion is worth a lot to me. Never thought of it in all my turmoil. I will craft a letter to him once I calm down.

Remember this. You have a 72hr cancel window from the time of activation without penalties or fees. This is in your favor, after that you're just SOL. Use this as leverage.

1. Cancel the install ...you have a I believe 3 days to do this
2. Contact you BB and lodge a complaint
3. Contact your states AG about the strong arm tactics
4. Hire an attorney and sue them for the repair cost to you house.

Do not accept this...for the sake of the next customer who gets this installer...stop the madness.

Have them do a reinstall and credit you for any damages to your house. Dish has some awesome very knowledgable installers and some not so knowledgable careless installers who shouldn't even be doing the kind of work the job entails. From Dish's track record of great customer service my guess is they will make it right for you. And make sure if you have HD TV's that you are using HDMI cables from the boxes to your HD TV's

Remember this. You have a 72hr cancel window from the time of activation without penalties or fees. This is in your favor, after that you're just SOL. Use this as leverage.

Let me get this right, are you guys saying I still have 72 hours to cancel the Dish Network service even after they have installed the system?

I can have them come down and remove eveything and not have to keep the service for the 2 years?????

THIS IS NEWS!!!!!!

Yes you can.
Call D* and find out if you're in an all mpeg4 area, if so this a no brainer.
I have heard D* is coming out with a whole house dvr solution based on the swm switch being the network that ties everything together. You would more than likely have a swm setup if you were in all mpeg4 area. Besides it looks like D* is going to be the cheaper option on 2/1 anyhow for additional equipment fees.

please tell us more?

is E cutting pay too?

Let me elaborate for you Bob.
They are cutting out install pay on the 2nd TV for dual tuners.
They are lowering the cost of equipment to retailers. This sounds good right? No it's not, here is why. They pay an incentive for the sale, install, ect. This is figured by a % based on how much the retailer paid for equipment on the install.
Here is the real kicker. Say you paid $200.00 for a 222 & dish lowers the cost of it to $100 on 2/1. Here is one of the problems. Say you have 50 of them in stock. Whatever doesn't get used by 2/1, you'll only be reimbursed the $100 & not the $200 you have originally invested.
Customers are not the only people being affected by this, it is deeper than that.

Let me elaborate for you Bob.
They are cutting out install pay on the 2nd TV for dual tuners.
They are lowering the cost of equipment to retailers. This sounds good right? No it's not, here is why. They pay an incentive for the sale, install, ect. This is figured by a % based on how much the retailer paid for equipment on the install.
Here is the real kicker. Say you paid $200.00 for a 222 & dish lowers the cost of it to $100 on 2/1. Here is one of the problems. Say you have 50 of them in stock. Whatever doesn't get used by 2/1, you'll only be reimbursed the $100 & not the $200 you have originally invested.
Customers are not the only people being affected by this, it is deeper than that.

OUCH I have bought inventory for my business, only to see the wholesale cost drop and I am forced to sell at a loss:(

everyone is getting screwed and installers must be paid a decent pay for a decent job. or bad installs and mad customers will be the result.....

this topic deserves its own thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I have thought about movig from pittsburgh to somewhere where it never snows, like phoenix or florida. remarked to a friend the other day I could be a sat installer if it wasnt for winter:(

so much for that idea. I was a dealer installer years ago. Its a tough job.

Last edited:
One more thing, I can cancel even after I signed the completion paper? This is good news indeed.

Maryland and Virginia both allow a customer to cancel any contract with-in the 72 hour time frame. But you had better call them today. Better yet go to the Dishnetwork on line chat, explain what happend, cancel the service, and then print out the chat for conformation